Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redmoss_gw

weed control between boxes

redmoss
15 years ago

Hello all,

I'm on my third year of square foot gardening, and am really enjoying the method and results. One thing I am still struggling with is weed/plant control *between* the boxes.

I've tried un-covered landscaping fabric, and it works somewhat. Problems:

- It needs a lot of anchor points, which can be tedious to set out. I place bricks, rocks, or anything else heavy on the edges to keep the fabric fastened down.

- It is too expensive per square foot.

- It comes in long swathes instead of squares, so there are even more edges to keep secured.

- It is not very attractive (not horrible, just not great).

- Some weeds manage to poke up through holes.

I've tried mulch. Problems:

- There are too many deep-rooted weeds for this to be effective.

- Labor intensive, and it has to be done *every* year.

I've also thought of sowing grass between boxes. Problems:

- I can't mow the grass right next to the boxes, which means manual trimming. That would be labor-intensive.

- Mowing through a maze of boxes with tight turns would probably be tedious.

- The mower damages plants hanging over the edges of the box.

- If I shift any boxes around, I have to kill/re-plant sections of grass.

- I'm not sure there is a non-invasive variety of grass that can stand up to the high foot traffic between the boxes

I've recently seen people discussing black plastic as a covering, with some mentioned negatives. I've also seen the local garden store throw down a very large tarp, which seems to be effective. Ideally, I'd want something I could put down with a minimum of work, that would require a minimum of maintenance, that would last at least a few years, and that costs 50 cents or less per square foot (1000 square feet to cover should be 50$ or less).

So what does everyone else do?

Comments (18)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Heavy cardboard to smother out the weeds, with a thick layer of wood chips over the top for looks/walking comfort.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

I agree with Granny. I'll be doing the same thing... cardboard and newspaper topped with wood chips.

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest combining your first two thoughts, landscape fabric and mulch.

The mulch would hold down the fabric and the fabric would stop weeds from poking through. The cardboard/newspaper trick is great, you wouldn't have to worry about weeds already established, and any new weeds would be easy to prick out as soon as they green up to identify themselves.

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

I've read that termites like cardboard better than wood chips, so I'd have to agree with eagle. get the landscape fabric and the pins to hold it down at wal-mart. A lot of tree trimming services will bring free wood chips if they are out your way, or maybe for the cost of gas, otherwise they have to pay to dump them at the landfill. Your only cost would probably be the landscape fabric and pins.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I like the cardboard method, because if some tough, pesky weeds to manage to break through you just have to rake the chips aside and toss down another layer of cardboard and/or newspapers. Of course, we don't have termite problems where I live, so that has never been a worry.

I hate the landscape cloth. I just ripped it out of my flower beds and replaced it with newspaper. Mine went down several years ago, and all kinds of roots had formed a solid mat underneath it, even attached to it. It was definitely inhibiting water, air and nutrients from reaching the plants.

Granny

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

Your problem is no different than any turf lover has, and the answer is simple - use a pre emergent.

Pre emergent herbicides are used in early spring before soil temperatures maintain 55 degrees for 1 weeks average. Forsythia bushes also bud/bloom under these same conditions and are watched by the lawn enthusiasts. The pre emergent herbicide lays a barrier on the ground that prevents weed seed germination, lasting from 90 to 180 days. They really are quite effective.

There are two types of problem weeds in our lawns. One being grassy types like crabgrass and sedges and for these a product called Halts by Scotts works well. Your local Ace Hardware store sells this product alone without fertilizer inside. http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(vgy3m1nfuokfkg45lq4qgtyl)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=75086

Another is Dimension, offered by a few different companies, Greenlight sells this product as a stand alone product.
    http://www.yardlover.com/products.php?pid=5943

Greenlight also sells a different pre emergent for the other type of weeds called broad leafs. These include the common dandelion, clover and etc. This product is called Portrait. http://www.yardlover.com/products.php?pid=448

Your yard and garden walkways CAN be weed free with the above herbicides but remember, the simplest way to prevention of weeds is proper lawn care. Weeds require two things - moisture and sunlight to germinate. Water deeply and infrequently which keep weeds seeds dry on the soils surface, and mow the grass as tall as possible, taller grass shades the soil and prevents germinate. Also a healthy, thick and lush lawn just out competes a weed.

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

I have weed block with red lava rock on top of it between my beds. No, not the most comfortable on your feet, but functional.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I used landscape fabric with gravel over it. Works pretty well.

• redmoss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

anniesgranny/liisa_rwc: I don't have much cardboard/newspaper; where do you get yours? I'm in Northern Virginia, if anyone has suggestions. I would need quite a bit to cover up my paths to a useful depth.

So even if I manage to control the annual weeds, what about the tuberous/woody-rooted weeds? I have a few different types of these, and they keep spreading. What is a cheap, easy way to control these?

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

redmoss, just about every grocery store breaks down their cardboard boxes and puts them out behind the store. They are usually happy to let you take all you want. I used thick layers of newspaper in my flower beds, but I had to resort to Roundup on some Bermuda grass that was creeping into my vegetable garden area. It's not cheap. Some things are just impossible to kill any other way.

Granny

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

redmoss,

I pick up day old newspapers at work and from family members. And what Granny said about the cardboard.

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

• gblack
    13 years ago

I have trouble keeping cardboard down due to wind and am currently considering a mix of carpet in some areas and a really heavy duty tarp in others (a real tarp, not landscape fabric - I know water will sit on top but it doesn't rain much here and I can poke a hole or two here and there for drainage).

• two25acres
    13 years ago

I've been debating this same thing for the past couple of years. Weed fabric, mulch, cardboard, newspaper etc. We have high winds here so cardboard and newpaper are out. Weed fabric and mulch just didn't do it and I'd rather spend my time in the beds than cleaning up around them. This year we are going with the outdoor carpeting. It will require some additional work but once its done, it's done. I'm hoping it will also help to keep the snakes away from my feet. I know they serve a purpose but just don't like the suprise.

• karebear534
    8 years ago

Could you use cardboard And landscape fabric covered with a mulch or patio blocks? How do you clear the area of present weeds that are too tough to pull out- ground is hard- and roto tiller doesn't fit through? I really dont want to spray the weeds in between the rows.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

"Could you use cardboard And landscape fabric covered with a mulch or patio blocks?"

Overkill, in my opinion. You really only need the cardboard, especially if you are going to put patio blocks on top.

"How do you clear the area of present weeds that are too tough to pull out- ground is hard- and roto tiller doesn't fit through?"

You don't have to remove the weeds. Just cut them down close to the ground and cover.

Rodney

• gumby_ct
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I despise landscape fabric - as was mentioned roots get tangle in it then tear the fabric when you remove the weeds. To make things worse the fabric never decomposes and you will find pieces there for the rest of your life.

Cardboard or newspaper will feed the soil once they have done their job.

At first blush getting wood chips from tree trimmers sounds like a winner but keep in mind what you will get free of charge is ants, termites, or other native pests along with poison ivy, bitter sweet, bindweed, or any other invasives.

Me thinks making your own wood chips or buying the bagged stuff wood (pun) bee better. But the chips need to be aged before use too.

Salt hay for the beds is helpful. I like to use leaves - (shredded or not) tho the shredded don't blow away as easily.

Growing grass (or weeds) between the beds is just growing competiton for water and nutrients your plants will want.

It sounded like the OP was looking for something more permanent - like cement ;-)

• karebear534
    8 years ago

Thanks:) I've never used cardboard before...my concern is having to pull out the concrete blocks eventually and re-do it because of weeds that could come through. We used landscape fabric before in one bed where we put rocks on top. Now chick weed has found its way in and we are having to re do it. I'm not looking forward to that job. I'm not sure if the seed has blown in on top of the rocks, or if its grown through the landscaping fabric we used at the time. I found a 20% acetic acid vinegar for a natural weed killer, but it sounds like I don't need to use it on the pathways where my raised garden beds are? The quack grass and dandelions are pretty abundant in between my garden beds... I'll start collecting cardboard!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting