Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan_in_seattle

newbie with vacation watering question

megan_in_seattle
16 years ago

I am completely new to gardening and SFG and have a question about what I should do when I go away on vacation. Will my garden be ok for one week without watering it?

I have 4 4x2 raised beds with Mel's Mix in it. I have started broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, chives, marigolds, and tomatoes indoors and am in the process of hardening them off to put out in my SFG. I have already planted fava beans, peas, beets, carrots, parsley, radicchio, endive, buttercrunch, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, rosemary, and arugula, from either transplants and seeds that have already sprouted. Everything seems to be doing well (I think!)

Today (the 3rd) I have planted nasturiums and pole beans, with the hope that they will sprout before I leave for vacation on the 18th.

I have made chicken-wire cages that I have covered with row cover and plastic to put over my garden. It seems to be keeping the soil warm enough, as we have still been getting quite a few frosts and snow, but the seeds are still sprouting. I think our last frost date for my area is the 15th of April. Recently I have had to open the plastic, as it's been getting warm during the days (60's).

What do I do when I'm away on vacation for a week, starting on the 18th? I was thinking about taking off the plastic, but keeping on the cages on so that the rain can water my plants (except for the tomatoes, which I was thinking of keeping the plastic on). Will the seedlings be ok during spring rains? I'm hoping that everything sprouts before I leave. Would it be ok if I had a neighbor water my tomatoes just once, or better yet, not at all? I was toying with the idea of taking a shoelace and putting it in some water to "self-water" the tomatoes. One of my motivations for growing a garden is saving a few bucks, so paying for someone to come over once a day would take away a lot of the savings.

Comments (7)

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

It's impossible to say if your plants will be OK for a week without watering.

If it's not too hot, the plants are small, you water well before you go and maybe get a rainfall or two that week then the odds are very good everything will be just fine. At this time of year I am just starting to put in the most cold hardy plants and don't even think about watering, but that's my climate.

During mid summer with larger plants and no rain I don't think things would do well with a week of no water.

If you expect to be away from your garden for a week at a time with some regularity then I would strongly advise a water timer. Usually more reliable than neighbors ;-)

• megan_in_seattle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like your idea about using a timer. Will the weight of the water from the sprinkler be okay for new seedlings? Any suggestions on what I should do with the tomatoes that will be under a chicken-wire cage with plastic over it?

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Along with the timer, some soakers hoses would certainly not damage the seedlings and can be run under the plastic for tomatos.

I know you wanted to avoid spending more money on this hobby, but if you are going to be leaving your garden alone for a week at a time... you just have to make some hard choices. I can't think of any way around that unless you have a reliable person who will take care of things in your absence as a favor or are willing to risk the plants.

• timewind
    16 years ago

I kept the water pressure low, but used a sprinkler on my seeds and seedlings for all watering last spring without trouble.

• sinfonian
    16 years ago

Megan! Another Seattleite, great!

I must say, if you are going on vacation for a week, I HOPE it's someplace warm and dry. It sure won't be here during that time. Your garden will get so much water it won't know what to do with itself compliments of Mother Nature. And as for how hot it will be, upper 50s if we're really lucky, though most likely upper 40s.

April showers bring May flowers never was more true in Seattle.

Sounds like you're off to a great start on your garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonians' garden adventure,,, check it out!

• megan_in_seattle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sinfonian, your blog is great! You've done a great job at it and it was fun reading your progress. It's nice to see another newbie in Seattle taking a shot at SFGing.

Yes, I'm going to Florida. Yay, I'll be away from the rain. I'm not sure how relaxing it will be, as I have an 18 month old and a three year old, but still, it should be nice.

Now let's hope my garden holds up. I'm still a bit unclear, but I think I still need to keep the plastic over my tomatoes to keep them warm, so I still have watering issues. I've been researching soaker hoses and drip irrigation. I haven't found any conclusions about whether one is better over the other or whether I need to have the hoses at right angles or whether I can just snake it through my beds. Does anyone have any opinions? I'm also still considering just putting a cotton wick into the dirt and placing the other end into a container of water. I've read it will wick water as needed. Anyone try this?

• justaguy2
    16 years ago

Soaker hoses can be done at right angles with connectors or simply snaked around (what I do). Really your call.

The wick idea sounds interesting, but you would likely need one per plant wouldn't you? Also that wick would have to carry water through the air until it met the ground. I would think a lot would just evaporate. Never tried it though.

Sponsored