Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whimsicalchaos

Medinilla Magnifica - 5 blooms fell off same time

WhimsicalChaos
10 years ago

Hi - 5 blooms/buds (4" ish) fell of with their entire stem still attached. They fell from the main stem/leaf area. Stems wer about 7" long with blooms still attached. What happened? See photo of plant...thank you...

Comments (6)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Too cold?
    Too wet?
    Where was it when it happened? Was it recently moved or exposed to cold?

Can't see the pot or soil, but from the photo it looks like you have it outside. These plants cannot tolerate cold at all. They are hardy in Zones 10 and 11, so they have to be very well-protected in colder areas. This guy thrives on warmth and cannot take cold nights (or days).

It is a beautiful, beautiful plant. I hope it recovers for you.

Carol in Jacksonville

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

They hate wet feet. Mine is potted in very loose soil. In nature they grow as epiphytes where the water just runs over their roots. Make sure the soil dries out a little. I let mine get very pot bound and added a lot of perlite and a medium orchid bark mix to the potting soil. It likes bright light but not too much direct sun. It does not like cold.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Very sensitive to cold and poor drainage, but grown as epiphytes they need a lot of moisture.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    had that happen many times lol Incredibly sensitive plant .
    had much better luck with myriantha but not nearly as glorious ?? If you find a solution please share ?? gary

• WhimsicalChaos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi...thanks to everyone and their respomses. After i left the post, i looked inside ome of the blooms and saw that all of the stamens were black...i had only had this plant for a few days, and came to to the conclusion that it had gotten too cold during shipment to the shop my husband had purchased it from. Needless to say, all of the blooms fell off. So, i am now left with a beautiful green plant, and no flowers.

Now i need help figuring out 'how' to possibly get it to re-bloom. Any advice would be so very appreciated.
    Thanks to all, and have a lovely afternoon.

P.S. i only sat it outside to take the photo...it resides in my home in a bright window.

• WhimsicalChaos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi...thanks to everyone and their respomses. After i left the post, i looked inside ome of the blooms and saw that all of the stamens were black...i had only had this plant for a few days, and came to to the conclusion that it had gotten too cold during shipment to the shop my husband had purchased it from. Needless to say, all of the blooms fell off. So, i am now left with a beautiful green plant, and no flowers.

Now i need help figuring out 'how' to possibly get it to re-bloom. Any advice would be so very appreciated.
    Thanks to all, and have a lovely afternoon.

P.S. i only sat it outside to take the photo...it resides in my home in a bright window.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting