Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doubleplantnum

Need help! Tropical Houseplants not flowering/blooming

doubleplantnum
5 months ago

Hi Everyone!

My wife and I are relatively new to the intermediate house plant scene, and we cannot seem to get some of these tropical plants to bloom.

We have a pair of Bird of Paradise, also Peace Lily plants, in pots. The leaves are green and full, we get new growth and prune, but we aren't getting flowering and we have had them for a little over 1 year.

Can you help with some advice? Are you having similar issues?

We live in Austin, Tx. - so good ol' Central Tx odd weather

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 months ago

ive had some of those for 50 years.. and never a bloom.. sooooo..

lack of proper tropical light would be the first issue of lack of bloom.. they really dont grow indoors natively... so you might add supplemental lighting.. or at least put them outside in summer... not sure about TX in winter though... one thing for sure.. outside in full bright shade is 100% better than indoors always... NEVER take houseplants directly out into the sun.. they will burn... but thats a different post about hardening off ...;

often.. after spending summer outside.. even up here in MI.. you can get bloom ...

after light.. just run thru all plant culture variables..

proper media.. drainage.. watering..

heat.. humidity.. etc ...

bottom line.. you want to accomplish what most of us never did.. good luck with that.. lol .. though you might put in a greenhouse.. and i bet you might win...

ken

• woodrose
    5 months ago

I wouldn't put the peace plant in full sun. It needs bright indirect light to bloom, along with good soil and plant food. I had to Google Bird of Paradise, as I knew nothing about them. Apparently they do take full sun and have to be 4-5 years old before they bloom.

• callirhoe123
    5 months ago

What do you prune?

• floraluk2
    5 months ago

I don't have any large windows with bright light so have never managed to get a peace lily to rebloom. I treat it as a foliage plant. We have a Strelitzia sitting inside a glass door in the office which does bloom but only ever one stem at a time. The office is not heated at night. Neither needs any pruning other than removing dying foliage.

• callirhoe123
    5 months ago

Peace lilies always bloomed easily for me in good light with no attention to humidity. Light is the key.

• 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)
    5 months ago

Peace lily is easy to bloom indoors, Steletzia reginae will need to be outside in high sun and heat to bloom. Mine bloomed last year, but they need to be outside in full sun and with a hot summer.

• floraluk2
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

My experience has been different. The Strelitzia blooms regularly and never goes outside and even if it did it would not get high heat. Peace lily has always failed to rebloom for me.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    5 months ago

What species are you referring to for this Bird of Paradise? If it's the 'White' bird -- S, nicolai -- then I wouldn't expect any blooms, unless you have a conservatory with 20 foot ceilings.

• doubleplantnum
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We are going to try some of the things suggested and hope for the best!

-to answer the pruning question -- just removing the dry/dead growths

-to answer the Bird of Paradise question - I believe the yellow/orange one - definitely not the white.

Thanks again!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    5 months ago

There's also a Mexican Bird of Paradise with orange blooms. . . Caesalpinia pulcherrima. This is why it's helpful to use botanical names.