Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barkingdogwoods

Here, Pretty Girl

I posted a lost Greyhound on the national Greyhound Amber Alert in July of 08. Sabrina, a dog I got from Gulf Greyhound in July of '07, had slipped her collar when startled on a walk with her new owner. We and some east Texas volunteers searched, but only had one verified sighting, a week after she bolted. I installed a security camera outside the ownerÂs apartment, and he bought a hunterÂs camera for an abandoned house where he thought she might be hiding, but never saw her, dead or alive. We continued searching and following up on leads, but none proved fruitful.

Since then weÂve had an occasional call about her, usually when I had updated a Craigslist posting or taken out another ad in the paper. Last September the ACO in Longview contacted my adoption group, as they had a sighting of a Greyhound in Longview and knew we had lost one. The folks actually reported her as a "Great Dane or Greyhound," and couldn't say what color the dog they saw was. There were no repeat sightings, and the adoption group had folks driving the area and even had friends who live in that area looking. No dice.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday  the adoption group received a call from a former all-breed rescuer who said that she saw a brindle Greyhound in Longview, near where she was supposedly sighted last September. This sighting was very credible since the woman was assumed to be somewhat breed-savvy. The neighbor there had been feeding the dog, so it looked like we had a spot to set a trap (something weÂve not had before). So I made arrangements to borrow the GALT trap and started asking folks on the rescue lists for volunteers to help check it  but I guess I asked for help too soon. After arranging to get the live trap, I did not get permission to set it up.

The rescuer gave me the contact info for Bobbie, the woman at whose house the dog was spotted. Thursday night I talked with Bobbie, and found out she'd been feeding Sabrina for eight months!!! Bobbie didnÂt want us to trap Sabrina  she thought Sabrina would be scared by the trap - she wanted to try to put a leash on her. She had been able to pet her (and even took a tick off of her), and felt that she could put her scarf around her neck and bring her in.

I thought it would be best to let Bobbie try, since sheÂd worked at gaining SabrinaÂs trust (thereÂd always be time for trapping if a finesse capture didnÂt work). I told Bobbie SabrinaÂs story, and how weÂve been tracking down every lead for the last year and a half. Bobbie promised to call me when she got her, or let me know if she needed help capturing her.

I again spoke with Bobbie Friday morning, and she said that she saw Sabrina waiting to be fed and Sabrina was soaked as it was raining. Her plan was to try to bring her in the house Friday night when she fed her again. Well, she succeeded! She hid the leash in her sleeve and slipped it over SabinaÂs head. She sent me some phone pictures, and I was pretty sure it was Sabrina (by the swirl in her brindling).

Here is the photo Bobbie sent me:

Sabrina spent the night resting comfortably in her bathroom, scared but at least now safe. Bobbie pulled a bunch of ticks off of her, fed her, and kept her comfortable.

I left home Saturday morning at 4am to drive to Longview and get the dog I was sure was Sabrina and bring her back here before my meet-and-greet (Saturdays are busy for me). She seemed to respond to her name, and gave me kisses on the way home.

Here is Sabrina on the way home:

When I got home I checked her tattoos to be sure, and it really is Sabrina! Here she is at home, again:

Bobbie told me she had been calling the Greyhound "Pretty Girl". Well, that just sent shivers down my spine. There's a book that's well-known in Greyhound circles called "Here, Pretty Girl" that's the true story of a Greyhound named Sabrina who ran away from her adoptive home and was on the run for 167 days before she was captured.

SheÂll go to the vet early next week, as with all the ticks sheÂll need bloodwork to see what tick-borne diseases she has, as well as a heartworm test. Her right rear leg muscle appears atrophied, but I donÂt think itÂs an injury.

So anyway, from July of 2008 till February of 2010 - no one knows where this girl was, but I do now. SheÂs asleep on a dog bed upstairs with me.

Comments (24)

• plantmaven
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a wonderful experience!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just can't believe I got this girl back. God is GREYT!

• carrie751
    14 years ago

God IS good, Lin, and what a wonderful thing to be able to get her back in as good a shape as she is in. There are more GOOD people out there who love and take care of these lost furbabies than there are BAD, and I am so thankful for that. Sabrina/Pretty Girl, stay close from now on !!!!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And Bobbie refused a reward or even payment for food. I am so thankful that Sabrina finally wandered by her place :)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

What a wonderful story, and what a beautiful dog. She is truly a treasure. Glad you got her back. :)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm just glad that the adopter realized she would be better off with me than at his house :) He's such a good guy, and he walks his current Greyhound with a **harness** now...

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Lin, that is a wonderful story and a very wonderful ending.
    "Pretty Girl" Sabrina is gorgeous and I am so happy she is back home and I am very proud of you for what you do
    It is Greyt, lol
    How many greys are you currently trying to find homes for
    jolana

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

A very sweet story with such a happy ending. Brought a tear to my eye! Thanks for sharing.
    Thank God for good people in this world especially these days.
    Nik

• carla morey
    14 years ago

Sabrina is gorgeous, and one very lucky dog. Thanks for sharing your good news story with us -- I love these kinds of stories. :-)

Carla

• denisew
    14 years ago

That is wonderful news you got your fur baby back home after such a long time away! I hope everything goes well with the blood tests.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jolana - I have 2 foster Greys for the Greyhound Adoption League of Texas. I fostered Sabrina for an all-breed group after I got her from the track, and with their permission (and that of the previous owner) I am keeping her.

According to her blood work, she is positive for heartworms :( but only "suspect" for two tick-borne diseases (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Babesiosis). So one step at a time - I will treat the heartworms first, if I can get the immiticide from Merial - it's in short supply right now. I also have an appointment with my acupuncture/chiropractic vet, so he's going to look at her hip.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Hi Lin, I am so sorry to hear about the heartworms but glad she is back home and will actually get cared for them
    Is there a website to see pics or do you have pics and info?

• pjtexgirl
    14 years ago

My mom had a small kennel of sight hounds for show. We called them "rocket dogs". I am aware that it isn't recommended to use "pinch/choke" collars on sight hounds. We used softer nylon "pinch" collars on all of our dogs. Afghans and Borzoi are large,agile and quick. They ALL tried to slip the collar. A couple of them bolted the door too. They were born to run right?
    It's really wonderful that you got your beautiful girl back!
    I hope the recovery from heart worm is uneventful and goes smoothly as can be expected. I'm admire your tenacity to get her back to safety.
    I once found a tiny,tiny tea cup poodle that had wandered 5 miles! She was gorgeous. She was the exact color of a shiny new penny. It turned out to be her name. She was the best behaved,saddest dog I ever knew. My MIL found a poster with her on it near her house and we gave her owner a call.
    You never saw such a happy dog! She actually ran up the front of the lady into her arms and threw her paws around the lady's neck. Everyone was teary eyed. I know why that lady didn't want payment. How can you charge someone for returning a loved one?
    That is one lucky greyhound and I hope she decides to stay home! PJ

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My acupuncture vet called, they had a cancellation so I am bringing her in on Monday morning.

Also from the specialty clinic, I had them read the xrays (a free consultation with my vet) and they didnt recommend surgery at this time.

Shes on doxy for the heartworms (and coincidentally the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever); there will be no immiticide from Merial available before April, so were on a wait list.

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Hi Lin, she is so beautiful, thanks for the pix. I am really glad she doesn't need surgery

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Lin, she looks so much like Contessa.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

She is such a pretty brindle girl. And she's a kisser!!!

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

She is a very pretty girl!
    Lin, I have a list (took me a while to find it) that I sent to my son because he is trying to find a dog that would fit his lifestyle but fairly low maintenance ( all he has ever had are collie) lol
    He lives in an apartment but walks/hikes a lot in his free time
    Anyway, the greyhound topped the list and this was the description I sent, would you say it is accurate? Somewhat?

Greyhound
    While the first thought that springs to many peoples mind when they hear the word "Greyhound" is a that its a breed who loves to run and is constantly active, the reality is that only a small percentage of the worlds Greyhounds are actually race dogs, and that as a breed, they are not overly active on the whole. Calm, gentle and devoted, Greyhounds typically get along well with other animals and children, and are not habitual barkers in the least.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jolana, that describes a Greyhound to a "t"! If he gets a retired racer, they'll already be used to a schedule and will adjust to his fairly well. They LOVE to go on walks. The only thing is they can't be off-leash in an unfenced area, or they'll see something and start chasing, and may end up like Sabrina!

Lin

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

That sounds good except the bolting, they were on the top of the list for apartment dogs that would work for him but he will have to take that into consideration.
    Thank you Lin

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Generally speaking a Greyhound who is not a very shy dog won't try to back out of their collar and bolt. Plus, the use of a harness can prevent that even with a shy Greyhound.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great news for Sabrina! Some of the folks who had searched for her when she got loose found some immiticide to treat her heartworms. They paid for it and had it shipped here. She's going in on Tuesday to start the two-day treatment.

HOORAY! One step closer to health!

• carrie751
    14 years ago

That is wonderful news, LIn .......... I love these "doggie" stories with happy endings.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know, Carrie - and who can't use some good news now and again?