Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyndinrockport

herb gardening can you plant them together

cyndinrockport
17 years ago

Hi everyone. I just joined and have a question that is actually for a friend. She wants to grow some herbs like dill, mint and basil just to name a few. Isn't it ok to plant them all together? She thought they would take on the flavors of each other. Everything I read has herbs mixed in with vegetable and flower beds. I thought she had a good point but I didn't know if it was true. thanks

Cyndi

Comments (9)

• little_dani
    17 years ago

They do not take on the flavors of each other. Plant them together for a nice display. Or plant them, then try to keep them apart when they reseed!

I have heard that growing basil with tomatoes enhances the flavor of the tomato, but that is just what I have heard.

Janie

• cyndinrockport
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I really didn't think they would but wanted to make sure.
    cyndi

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I grow basil with my tomatoes, Janie, but did not know why until now. Thanks!!!

• LaurelLily
    17 years ago

Mint is extremely invasive once established, and will try to choke out everything else. I strongly suggest putting the mint in a separate container (never even in the ground). : )

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Be careful of that darn mint. Mint types will muddle eachother's flavors so you have to keep them separate. Also, I put my mint in a container and it GREW OUT THE D*MN BOTTOM AND ESTABLISHED IN THE BED!!! AAAKKKK! Thankfully, it's in a small hell strip in front of the garage and not running wild through my beds. PJ

• little_dani
    17 years ago

oh, yes. Sorry. I forgot to mention that about the mint.

Oregano can do the same thing. So can Lemon Balm- that's the one I am battling at this time. It started in the herb bed, jumped across to the bean bed, and now is residing very happily where the tomatoes and some squash are growing. Not all the same plant, but they are all relatives. LOL

Janie

• Jacquelyn8b
    17 years ago

Anybody remember why you're not supposed to plant dill and fennel together?
    Cyndi, your friend may have been thinking about peppers.
    I've been told that the hot ones will 'warm up' the sweet.
    Heh, heh...what a naughty trick to play on those without an asbestos tongue!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Dill and fennel are so closely related that they can cross pollinate, and their seedlings come up as a hybrid of dill and fennel. The same holds true with the peppers. There's no way that growing a hot pepper next to a mild pepper will produce medium peppers on the current plants, but their seedlings could come up as a mix between the two.

Sally

• MrsBox77
    17 years ago

Don't plant your herbs anywhere near an Angel Trumpet...it will make the herbs useless in cooking. The kids take the leaves and make a tea out of them...hallucinations, or get high or something.........I read an article where a lady did this, and it made them all very sick when she used her oregano in a spaghetti sauce.