Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenalive

Moringa is not producing pods!!

gardenalive
18 years ago

Hi everybody,

I have a moringa (aka drumstick) which I planted last year that is currently 10 feet tall. For about 3 weeks now, it has been flowering profusely. As spectacular the flower show is,it just would not produce beans for me!!

The flowers just drop!!

Does it need to have another one of its kind close in order for cross pollination to occur? Or is the tree too young to produce fruits? Mine flowered last year too but no fruits either. I'm so clueless.

Many Thanks

Comments (9)

• paperwhite
    18 years ago

GardenAlive,

Give it a few more weeks. If this is the first season that it is blooming then the next year you will have more pods. That has been my experience. I have two trees, both from seed. Here is a picture of the pods just forming.

{{gwi:423613}}

• patusho25
    18 years ago

paperwhite: what´s so great about this particular tree? I heard lots about it but not directly from someone; do you eat the leaves? fragant flowers? or what?

• gardenalive
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, Thanks..I'll wait a little longer and see what'll happen. Don't know how longer I have to wait though. Last year it was just 4 feet tall and blooming (not as profusely as it does now) all the way till mid December. That lasted about 2 months but no pods either.

I notice that, in your picture, though, the flower stalks look thicker and stronger than on mine. And I also notice you have two moringas instead of one. Maybe its probably mine is lonely and just needs a companion of its kind nearby lol. Right now, it sit next to a 5 foot Indian jujube bush.

Patusho,
    The moringa or horseradish tree is regarded as a vitamin power house!! Everything on the moringa is considered edible, although you got to prepare the root in a special way to take away certain caustic chemicals.

I have tried eating the leaves and the stems and the first thing that comes to my mind is ampicillin pills. Yep, that what they taste like (not saying that I "eat" those pills on a regular basis)!! So I'd say this tree is packed quite full of vitamins and minerals.

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Interesting, I will try to get some seeds and give it a try. Thanks.

• paperwhite
    18 years ago

Garden Alive,

Yes i do have two trees next to each other. On one of them the pods are already pencil thin and a foot and half. I am planning to plant jujube as well. Have the seeds with me.

patusho25,

Both the leaves and the pods are edible but must be cooked to be enjoyed. The leaves are good if pressure cooked with lentils or in lentil pancakew. The pods are great if first steamed and then added to onions that have been sauteed with garlic, cumin, turmeric, salt and chilli powder.

• barryamyers
    18 years ago

My Moringa is shy about producing pods as well although it does manage to provide a few. It flowers profusely and grows like a weed. I like to make a "pesto" with the leaves and flowers (minus the bitter yellow stamens) mixed with curry leaf, garlic, cashews and kaffir lime leaf.....add a little coconut oil and a touch of soy sauce. Great on a bagel chip.

• baci
    18 years ago

The roots are also a horseradish substitute, although who wants to chop up such a great tree. It is grown in some desert botanic gardens. Here is an interesting site  this fellow did his dissertation on moringa varieties:

http://www.mobot.org/gradstudents/olson/moringahome.html

• Winston Perreira
    2 years ago

I have two trees growing in Melbourne and they are in a big drum. last year i did not get any. but got around 14 the previous year.

this year they are covered with flowers waiting to see what happens. i see lots of small drumsticks forming due to our good summer.

• HU-668315950
    2 years ago

I have 2 moringa trees, and it never get pods! is there something im not doing? Lol.