Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Trying Another Lychee...

puglvr1
13 years ago

I lost two beautiful Lychee trees in the winter of 2009/2010...trusted a brand new(anti freeze spray) product that didn't work for me...ended up losing them both :o(

At first I wasn't going to replace it...but I was at Lowe's today and found one for $25 and couldn't pass it up...so long story short it came home with me and now its planted. Its Mauritius (Lowe's buys their Lychees from Pine Island) their tag is still hanging on the tree. Wish me luck!

I built a 'windbreak' as per recommendation from lycheesonline especially since I'm coming around the windiest month for me...March. I used burlap which lets a lot of air and sun through but keeps the wind from tearing up the very delicate new growths...Plus hopefully it will be that much easier to cover/protect next winter with the frame already set up.

Comments (28)

• cath41
    13 years ago

I do wish you luck and Harry too. You Floridians are due after the last two nasty winters.

Cath

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

Nancy, you DESERVE some lychees from your trees! I'm rooting for you!! Nan-CY! Nan-CY! Nan-CY!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    I had typed out a nice long response earlier and than I lost my damn internet connection, Grrr!!

Yes I second Blue Palms response! I too will be rooting for you, and I hope that you get bumper crops of lychee from that nice little tree!

C'mon, it's from Pine Island so that right there is a great sign!

I also wanted to share my excitement with you. My 'Carrie' mango I got from Plantogram is still holding on to the inflos!

Andrew

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Good luck, Nancy!
    Nice planting job, and a cool windbreak, too! ;-)

Josh

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

You'll be ready for almost anything with that frame around it.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Too bad you didn't know you were going to get another lychee. I could have given you a Mauritius airlayer. I have had one that has been ready to be removed from the mother tree for a few months. Mine is not as nice looking as yours though. Good luck with it. At least it looks like we got a very early spring this season.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Nice Lychee tree. Good luck, Nancy!

-Bo

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nancy:

Good loonking tree and set up. My advice......keep it wet, wet, wet. Constant drip irrigation...as in a hose left dripping at the base of the plant for at least a week or two or even longer has always done well for me. Dehydration is the single worst thing a young lychee can suffer....followed closely by fertilizer burn. Good luck!

Harry

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and good vibes.

Bluepalm, Love the "chant",lol...

Congrats Andrew...you might be tasting some Carries soon, keeping fingers crossed!

Harry, thanks for the tip on keeping my tree wet...I will definitely take your welcome advise.

Jsvand, thanks...I'm sure you'll find a nice home for that airlayer. Since the weather has been so nice and I've checked our 14 day extended forecast before I planted it, I think the cold weather is finally done, YAY!!

Cath, you're so right. We need a break from these unusually cold two winters we've had.

Thanks Ethan, Bo and Josh :o)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

jsvand5 what time of year do you begin air layering and what technique do you use? I want to put a couple on my sweetheart as its reaching pruning size.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I set this one up last year after flowering. It has been ready to be removed for a few months.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

nice tree Nancy. Mauritius lychee is my all time fave fruit.
    funny our lowes here in brooklyn also sells lychee trees, in february to boot. (NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT)

• charleslou23
    13 years ago

wow wish my lowes carry lychee plants here in tx... did that came in the 3 gallon puglvr1? Did you mixed in any type of soil or compost or just native soil?

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your two lost Lychees last season. Your new tree looks beautiful and with a little luck, you should be tasting some home grown lychees soon. Please keep us updated on your Mauritius.
    Simon

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

I told Harry and Gerry...Hey! Sounds like a new cartoon show! The Harry and Gerry Show! And having been with the both of them...at the same time...I can assure you all that it would be an entertaining show.

Anyways...one of our local nurseries had some tropical fruit trees...lychees included. In Columbus, OH of all places. They were small Brewsters from PIN. Nice sized little tree. Could not NOT buy one. Less than $14. PIN sure gets around.

Nancy...I'm sure your new tree will do fine. Your trees always look wonderful. Just bad luck with the weather. Good luck and look forward to more pics.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Wow Jay, $14 is cheaper than I can find them down here.

• north_tree_man
    13 years ago

Great looking little tree, Puglvr. I'm sure it'll be big and round in no time. Any new tactics for keeping it warm next Winter?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys!

Charles, yes its a 3 gallon. I didn't add any thing to my soil (just the native soil) except a little slow release fertilizer on the drip line. I did however added Organic compost and some Pine Bark Nuggets on top...I know they like mulch. It should also keep the root zone from drying out too quickly.
    {{gwi:1308486}}

Simon, will def. update...I was really upset when I lost them!

Lycheeluva...Lowe's only carried 2 different varieties Brewster and Mauritius. I actually remembered Mauritius being your favorite and since I know how much you love them, I went with this one...I figured if its good enough for "lycheeluva" its good enough for me :o)

Wow Jay...$14 is way cheaper than I got mine for too...wonder how they're making money on that deal...unless we're the ones getting ripped off over here big time. And...why didn't you buy one again??

NTM...this time I will cover them and add a light source. I didn't do that because I used this product that I trusted to work...live and learn.

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

nancy read jay's post again- he used a double negative- so he did buy one. if i can be so bold as to revise your q a little- j, why the hell did you only buy 1 at $14.
    im wondering if someone messed up the pricing on that one and the $14 is an error. Cannot possibly fathom how they could buy them from PI, pay for shipping, and make a profit at $14. just doesnt make sense.

as for the harry and gerry show, it should def be the gerry and harry show! im down. jay, want to provide the seed money, as everyone knows u r loaded?

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hey Nancy,
    I have to say I had the same experience with buying my mango tree from Pine Island too!! I got my tree for 25 and last I heard there 3 gal pots were going up after the 1st of January.

Needless to say, I was very happy that I was able to get my Lancetilla for that price, especially with it being Lancetilla. I wouldn't have paid more than that considering I don't know what to expect when it comes to its growth pattern and fruit production.
    Andrew

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi LL...Ahhh...okay...I got it now! Love the cartoon idea :o)

Ya, $14 really doesn't make sense??

Hey Andrew, I have a very small Lancetilla...got frozen twice so its much, much smaller now than what it was when I bought it,lol...hope it survives. I really wanted this one too for the Huge fruits.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Sorry Ger...all my seed money is going into home/GH repairs! The lychees were marked $19.99. Still a bargain I thought. They rang up at like $13.36. Who am I to argue?! Even my wife couldn't argue with that logic! Still did...but...

Again...sorry Ger... but the "Gerry and Harry" show just doesn sound "kosher" enough!!!

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

jay, does that store lots of land in South FL by any chance

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Nice new tree - it looks great! Good luck! I know it must have been hard to start over after losing your previous trees.

I planted an emperor lychee last fall. It made it through the winter (with shelter) and is now putting out blooms. Harry had warned that new lychees are very sensitive to fertilizer burn. So all I have given mine is a bit of mushroom compost. So far so good=)

Out of curiousity, anyone else using mushroom compost? Mickey at Plant-o-gram gave me some to try and I have been very impressed with it. Unlike black cow, which still seems to contain a large amount of sand, it is all organic matter. And doesn't smell as terrible either which is a bonus=)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I have heard good things about mushroom compost. I have never personally tried it. I have a friend who uses it with great success in growing tomatoes. Keep us posted on your progress. Sounds promising.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I tried Black Hen which is an organic fertilizer compost, expensive but seemingly worked well.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

I've been buying the Black Velvet mushroom compost at Lowes. It is about the same price as Black Cow. I did a thin layer (1 inch) of it over my herb/salad garden pre-planting, and the difference in plant growth this year over last year is amazing! I have lettuce that actually is forming heads instead of a couple scraggly leaves that just bolt and go to seed. I have used it on my lychee, peach and bananas and all are doing really well. Posting some yard update pictures is on my todo list=)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks SunW! I sure hope this one makes it this time around...
    Congrats on yours doing well. I think we're finally out of the woods 'freeze' wise for the season...till next winter that is,lol...

I've seen those mushroom compost at Lowe's...I'll have to try it next time I need to add some more. I just added some organic compost underneath the mulch. Definitely will give the one from Lowe's a try next time...thanks!