Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memder

HELP! Gardenia Again.

memder
15 years ago

Hello,

I bought a seedling about two month a ago and give it the greatest care I can. Everything went great until tow days ago.

Two bottom leaves got yellow first, not brown but pale yellow. The whole leaves were yellow, including the vein. I thought the soil was too dry for it, so I did a thorough water.

One day later, another two appeared yellow. This morning, I found that other leaves are drooping now, though not turned yellow. The soil is still wet. So it is not a watering problem.

I guess it might be too much fertilizer. I did add a small amount of fertilizer very watering. Because the soil got drier than usual before the last watering, there might be too high a concentration of salt in the water.

Does anyone know what is the exact problem? If it is a rootburn, what should I do? Please help me save this gardenia. It already has some small buds on it now.

Comments (4)

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I may be able to help, but I have some questions. Which variety of gardenia is it? and what did you fertilize it with? gardenias like high light and good drainage. They will not tolerate constanly moist soil. They like a slightly acid soil and usually bloom in may or june. There are several varieties though that usually bloom at different times. If you can give me specific details, I will be happy to help if I can. Ibartoo

• memder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is Gardenia jasminoides 'Prostrata'. I use Vigoro AllPurpose.

It might not be the water problem, because the soil was quiet dry before this happy. I usually water it around each 4 days.

I flushed it with clean water yesterday. No help,:(.

• tropical_philippines
    15 years ago

memder,

I am almost 100% sure you are OVERWATERING your gardenia.
    The classic symptom of overwatering is yellowing of leaves especially the mature ones at the bottom. The yellowing starts out at the lower leaves and gradually spreads to the other leaves until all the leaves are yellow. When most leaves are already yellow, the plant is already on the verge of death. Death will be almost as sure as the sun rises.

So stop overwatering your plant. DO NOT WATER your gardenia unless the soil is really dry. Put your gardenia in full sun so the excess water will evaporate. If the soil doesn't dry in 24 hours, better repot your gardenia in DRY soil and water VERY lightly. ALWAYS allow the soil to DRY in between waterings.

Leave your gardenia in the sun while it is still recovering from 'drowning'. Also, withold any fertilization while your gardenia is still 'recovering'.

Check out the Fragrant Plants Forum for more gardenia growing tips.

Here are other 'gardenia care' links in the fragrant plants forum which may interest you:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg03202643740.html
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg081700499282.html?48

HTH

tropical

• memder
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I repotted it,using MiroGro Orchid Mix this time. But I did water it again immediately after repotting:(.

Now it is sitting on the windowsill,to help it dry faster. I am not hoping saving the buds now. I would be very happy if I can have this plant survive through this.