Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

Am I still a real Texan?

jolanaweb
17 years ago

A couple of days ago DH picked up a couple of gallons of some premade *Arizona Southern Style *real* Sweet Tea* he said when we are busy just drink this, less trouble. Well, I drank it and I really liked it.

Have y'all had it ? Am I going to be run outta town on a rail? LOL

Comments (31)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Arizona isn't that far really. I mean not in our computer world nowadays. Work for you? LOL! PJ

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

I think we should run you outta town on a rail just for the fun of it.lol

I'm feeling ornery and we need something to get our minds off the heat!!!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Questionable, Jolana - about still being a REAL Texan !! My DH loves the Arizona Peach Tea, but I still like to "brew" mine. Carol Ann, could we wait until it gets cooler to run her out of town on a rail????

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I like it too. Its probably made by a real Texan that was transplanted to AZ!!!!
    I'm too cheap to buy it all the time and I do like my home brew, so thats what I drink and I drink a lot of it.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Bev, what a way to go. I keep tea in the fridge all the time, and that is what I drink when I take a break. Matter of fact, have a glass of it by my side as I type.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Bev, what a way to go. I keep tea in the fridge all the time, and that is what I drink when I take a break. Matter of fact, have a glass of it by my side as I type.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carrie is stuttering, see what happens when you pick on me?

I brew mine too but Bev is right I looked at the recieptand it was 4.99 for a gallon. I can make a lot of gallons for that, lol

I need to dig out my big jar and make some sun tea.

CarolAnn that would be a sight, just trying to get me on a rail, lol

Thanks PJ, works for me, lol

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Be careful that sun jar doesn't boil over! LOL! PJ

• little_dani
    17 years ago

LOL, I had not been here for a couple of days, and I thought you were going to tell us that you were actually born in Oklahoma, like my friend MaryAnn.

She was adopted as a teeny baby, and raised in Dallas. It was not until she was 43, and doing some geneology to find her biological family that she found out she was actually born in OK! She was crushed! Actually, we were both kind of horrified!

I was horrified to hear of you drinking Arizona sweet tea! What kind of a Texan is that?

One that buys her sweet tea already brewed, I guess. I like it too, LOL!

Janie

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't buy it, it wasn't me, lol I did drink it and like it tho. I couldn't believe it was that good, you?
    Janie, your poor friend, an Okie thinking she was a Texan.
    When I got into tracing my roots, the only thing I found out that was different about what I had known all of my life was that when my Bio Mom was married to my Dad, she fibbed about her age, lol
    Other than that....I was still born here but drink furin tea, lol

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

"I was horrified to hear of you drinking Arizona sweet tea! What kind of a Texan is that?

I agree with Janie.

Maybe instead of running her out on a rail we should make her drink Jac's unsweetened tea she serves her company. lol

That would be good punishment and it'll prove she's a real Texan. Only Yankees drink unsweetened tea.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"I was horrified to hear of you drinking Arizona sweet tea! What kind of a Texan is that?
    LOL, I LOVE sweet tea but I like unsweetened, I guess I'm either a yankee or an alien, lol
    I could be the one making KT's whistling noices, lol

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Maybe we need to run a few more tests.

How do you spell y'all?

Oh, that won't work.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Arizona Tea is very popular around my house. We drink the diet versions whenever possible, with green tea and ginseng, being most desirable, but we have also dabbled with peach and other varieties.

I think Texans got used to unsweetened tea, because of the need to keep sugar away from the ever present scourge of ants. Somewhere along the way, the reason became lost to folks' memory.

Of course, there are even stranger traditions, such as "cooling" a watermelon under a shade tree. That brings the temp down to about body temperature in Texas.

I find it rather curious that anyone even wanted to live here, before air-conditioning, at all. (Of course, I said the same thing in Miami, when we didn't have air-conditioning, but you at least got cool breezes at night. Also mused that by the time of the Indy 500 race, you could fry eggs on the sidewalks, in Indiana.)

I can even remember when 80 degs. was a hot day in the Smokey Mountains. Now the mid-nineties is pretty normal. Only good part, is it does cool off at night. (In Texas, it is still 98 degs. at midnight.)

Now that we are having the hottest summer on record in the entire US, I think we can all live with the concept of pre-sweetened tea. Anything to speed up the acquisition of a cold, thirst quenching drink, is a good thing. (smile)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

A jillion years ago I had an ulcer (1st husband). After that I could not stand the taste of any thing sweet. I commented to a friend's mother that I really missed tea. She looked at me funny and said to drink it without sugar. Well duh, I never thought of that...after drinking it sweet all my life.
    Now if I pick up someone else's glass by mistake, I have to run to the sink to spit it out.

Too bad the aversion to sugar went away.

Thinking about drinking things, I used to drink canned cherry coke. I sat one on the porch as I was working in the yard. When I took the next drink, there was a bee in it. It stung me on the inside of my bottom lip. I ran in the house, holding my lip and saying, "dit it ouw, dit it ouw!" For the first second or two my DH thought I has lost my mind.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I did stutter a bit there - must be the computer - couldn't possibly be the operator - no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love my tea - but it has to be sweet with just a squirt of fresh lemon - so refreshing !!!!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

I wish I could drink it unsweetened.
    I got real close to drinking it unsweetened when I was dieting but my DH thinks it has to be real sweet for him to drink so I had to make him happy.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Of course you did, Carol Ann !!!!!!!

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Yup. Gotta watch out for bees being attracted to any kind of really sweet drinks.

Never been stung on my lip....that musta really hurt. My worst pain from a bee was stepping on one in the clover, when I was young. Took about 11 yrs. before the pain from that, no longer bothered me. I figure the stinger musta stayed in my arch.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Lime is good in iced tea, too.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

EEEKKK! Rick I'd keep an epi pen handy outside. That's quite a reaction!
    In the lip! OWWW. That had to hurt!
    I like sugar. I like sweet tea. I'd be happy if I suddenly didn't like sugar anymore! I'd save money on candy! PJ

• grittymitts
    17 years ago

Last week my friend was stung on her lower lip by a red wasp...her DH told her she looked like one of those movie babes with collagen injected lips. When the swelling moved into cheek & chin he added, "Wow, from one side of your face you look really young, you don't have ANY wrinkles over there."

She's sooo sweet; she didn't hit him...not even once!

Suzi

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Suzi, that is something my DH would say before he thought, LOL
    Sylvia I tried lime in my tea today and it was good

Kathy, ooo, that sounds baad

Now that we are having the hottest summer on record in the entire US, I think we can all live with the concept of pre-sweetened tea. Anything to speed up the acquisition of a cold, thirst quenching drink, is a good thing. (smile)

Rick, you are so right, lol just about anything with ice

CarolAnn, I know what you mean, DH loves all chocolate so I have to eat it all too, lol

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

My grandmother loved lime in her tea. 50 years ago my grandfather bought a citrus tree with multiple fruit grafted on it. After he died there was a freeze and the tree reverted back to all lime. My GM was washing dishes and looking out the window at the tree. She thought, " I am so sorry that froze,". Then she heard my GF say, " that's ok Kit, as I know how you love limes". That really freaked her out.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG, I bet that did freak her out.
    Gosh, I'll be thinking about this all day

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

You wouldn't believe how common that is. Honest. I've spent a lot of time with the elderly.Nearly all have heard/seen/felt their deceased loved ones. The ones that aren't afraid get visited more often. PJ

• stitches216
    17 years ago

Real Texans drink T chased with equila. So do real Arizonans, and real Mexicans, and...
    (Hope that doesn't kill this thread! I can only dream of hearing our lost loved ones - I miss them all terribly!)

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rap, I learned my lesson from your equila long ago and all I have to have is a sniff for a refresher course, lol
    I dearly loved my GF, he chewed tobacco, although you would never know, except for the smell. I never saw him spit, lolor a lump in his cheek, anyway, there are times when I'm bumming about something, I swear I smell his tobacco and I immediately feel better

• stitches216
    17 years ago

Jolana, that really tugs at my heart, what you said about your GF. I never knew either of mine, but heard so much about them that I loved them, and sometimes I can picture them and hear them as if I knew their voices. One of them played baseball with Ty Cobb (if you know who I mean) - or maybe, he played against Cobb. (I think even lots of Cobb's teammates "played against him," he was such a tough character.)

I also like your idea of a sniff for a refresher! I don't keep any in the house though, so I'll have to get my T at a restaurant sometime soon. On the rocks, no salt. (Hee-hee, I drink "healthy" margaritas!) Bottoms up!

• kateyes
    17 years ago

Hey...Arizona is south of the Mason-Dixon line....but, the Texan issue.....well, we'll blame it on the heat and forgive you this time... ;-)

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I think you can drink it in the privacy of your own home and still be considered a Texan. BUT if you tell anyone I think the Tea Cart Ladies Union will visit. Guess ya'll better be on the lookout for them. They all got big hair, a pitcher of tea in one hand and a sugar bowl in the other.
    I just want my on the rocks thank you.
    Tally HO!