Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liberia_kitchen

Kitchen garden in Liberia

liberia_kitchen
13 years ago

I am moving to Liberia for work and would like to hear if anyone has experience with growing a kitchen garden in that part of Africa or similar tropical regions: what will grow, what should I be aware of etc.

Does anyone know of a good gardening book on the topic?

Many greetings!

Comments (2)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I don't know anything about growing a kitchen garden in Liberia but would be interested in what kind of plants you find in that part of the world. For instance, jades are from that part of the country; I was wondering if you'd be able to locate the more rare & unusual ones, such as the red horn jade tree. If you do find this; I'd be most interested to hear about it.
    Thanks
    -B

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

.I have a tropical kitchen garden in a similar climate to yours. What does best for us is fruit, almost any tropical fruit you can get hold of esp. papaya which is fast and easy and mango which is slower to reach fruiting size. Citrus does well as, as do more exotic things like pitanga, jaboticaba and passion fruit, which is also very decorative. Of the vegetables aubergines are good, so are pumpkins and red (bell) peppers. Chili peppers if you like them. If you have plenty of space sweet potatoes are good, but the plant is very invasive. I have never tried it but I would like to grow white carrot, as it is so tasty. That's another one that would need a bit of space, however, which I don't really have. I have also grown tomatillos and okra. Herbs do surprisingly well and not just basil, I have also grown oregano, rosemary and thyme in a tropical climate. Fennel is also good. Almost any kind of green leafy vegetable just shoots up, esp. I recommend rocket, lettuce, catalunya and broccoli provided you give it plenty of fertilizer. Many tropical soils are short of nitrogen. I imagine what you grow will probably be limited to what you can get locally, however. The local market would be a good place to look.
    To end with, my son and his wife work in Monrovia. If youâÂÂd like to mail me IâÂÂll send you their address; ifraser57@hotmail.com. I am from Brazil.