Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselane_gw

Heirlooms that can be supported with a 5' cage?

roselane
14 years ago

My stakes are already "assigned", so I'm looking for a few more TASTY tomatoes that won't outgrow some old 5 foot cages that I have. I know taste is subjective, so if it helps, my favorite tomatoes are Black Krim and Cherokee Purple. Too late to plant from seed, so I need suggestions for plants that are commonly available as transplants. Some transplants I've seen around town are:

Arkansas Traveler

Boxcar Willie

Hillbilly

Nebraska Wedding

Old German

Aunt Ginny's

Amish Paste

Rutger's

Mortgage Lifter

I think those last two might just be open pollinated, sorry if that is the case. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (10)

• jtcm05
    14 years ago

I grow all of mine in 5 foot cages.

• roselane
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding. I only grew a few heirlooms last year and then tasted a bunch that I bought at the farmers market. Do most heirlooms not get as tall as tomatoes like jetstar and beefmaster? I put those varieties in 5 foot cages and they outgrew them.

• HoosierCheroKee
    14 years ago

Of those you list, I can safely say that Rutgers and Arkansas Traveler will not outgrow a 5-foot tall wire cage. The Rutgers shouldn't top it and the Traveler might peep out over the top but not dangle too much.

I've heard that Nebraska Wedding can be contained in a 5-foot wire cage, but I've never grown it.

Next year, start some Indian Stripe from seed to grow in your 5-foot cages.

For an excellent hybrid adapted to 5-foot cages, try Celebrity, which should be abundantly available as bedding plants.

• jtcm05
    14 years ago

Most indeterminate varieties like the ones you list will exceed 5 feet in height in good soil. However, this does not mean you cant use a 5 foot tall cage to grow them. The plants will still be contained and at worst will simply dangle over the tops of the cage a bit.

• mulio
    14 years ago

Anchor the cages with a good stake and it wont matter too much if they grow over the top.

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

Amish Paste is a sauce tomato and not a slicer, but my plants never got very large despite being good producers. 4 1/2 or 5 feet tops.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Agree that all the ones you list are indeterminates and will easily top a 5 foot cage. Average indeterminate is 8-10 feet tall or more.

But that is normal and no problem anyway. Most all growers, including me, use 5 foot cages and they work fine. The plant simply drapes over the top as John said above and keeps right on growing and making tomatoes.

The purpose of a cage is to keep the plant off the ground but there is no law that says the plant can't be taller than the cage. If there was then we'd all be in trouble. ;)

Dave

• azruss
    14 years ago

An indeterminate that probably will not top your cage is Break O'Day. Nor will Indian Stripe, and both are outstanding, tasty tomatoes.

• roselane
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much! While I was out today, I bought pineapple, pink girl, Arkansas traveler, Boxcar Willie, and Mortgage lifter to cage. I'm really getting into the heirloom thing this year after enjoying my first heirlooms last summer. I also have black krim and cherokee purple, as well as hybrids jetstar, beefmaster, and brandy boy to stake. I'm thinking that I'll probably switch boxcar willie over to a stake and cage beefmaster. If I can find some cheap stakes, I'll also put a stake in each cage. I was thinking that if the plant bent over too much it might break, so thanks for pointing out that it's no big deal if it bends over. I don't usually post much, but I've learned a ton on this forum, so thanks so much!

• kterlep
    14 years ago

Reisentraube, it's a cherry that grows in bunches (like grapes)--it probably will not grow much more than 5' in the best season. They are bushy, though!