Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

What Tropical Fruits Are you Growing 2013?

bananafan
10 years ago

I'm starting this new thread as it seems the old thread is getting very long and it's a few years old. So, if you grow tropical fruits, what are they now in 2013?

As for me, I started out with a lot of bananas, but found out that they spread fast .. which is good and bad. Good is I have more plants, but bad because I'm running out of space. For another, they die off during the harsh winter and they all have to start all over again each year. It's rather hard to see them to fruition that way. I've found only Raja Puri grows in one growing season, so I've cultivated many more of this variety.

I've collected many tropical fruits ... more than I can plant on my limited land area on a double lot. I'm in the process of listing all that I have whether in the ground or pots and will post as soon as I have all of them in the list.

Until then, if you wish to share yours, it would be nice to see what you've got and your experience growing some of them.

Comments (3)

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are the tropical fruits I'm currently growing. There were some that I've planted, but they died off and I did not bother to replace them and they were the Seagrape, Hazelnut, Keylime, Longan among others.

For the past several years, I've planted more citrus fruit trees .. only to find out about the citrus greening disease .. That was a let down ... so many of them. They're not doing well--just hanging on to dear life and taking it one day at a time. They still produce fruit though, but the fruit quality is greatly compromised.

As for bananas, I started out being overly enthusiastic .. only to find out that most of them take at least a few years to establish, but they're always damaged whenever there's a freeze, so they'll have to start from scratch again each time that happens. Only one variety will grow in one growing season and that's the Raja Puri.

Between the Lychees and Longans, I prefer growing lychees as they are a little more hardy than longans. Longans are more susceptible to diseases. The mealy bugs love to attack them and I just can't help to keep them away from the plants. I've planted five lychees on the ground and so far only one has been infested with it, but with longans whether in the pot or in the ground, they are always diseased with the same problem. Don't know why.

The more consistent fruit bearers are still the Bearrs lemon, some citrus trees, peach, blueberries and certain variety of bananas. I'm still rather amateurish in growing many of them which are still rather young, but hopefully if I can keep all them alive, they'll do some service .. lol.

Anyway, currently this is what I'm growing. Many of them are still in the pot and not planted in the ground yet due to space limitation. The smaller plants, berries and ultra tropical fruit trees, I plan to keep them in the pot and play tag with old man Winter.

Apple (Anna and Golden Dorsett Multi-grated)
    Avocadoes (Haas, Mexican breed)
    Bananas (various, but now mainly planting Raja Puri)
    Blackberry
    Blueberries (Winchester, Giant)
    Cherries (Grumichama, Cherry Rio Grande, Surinam)
    Citrus (Naval Orange, Red Seedless Navel, Honey Murcott, Valencia, Red Rhode, Moro Blood, Pineapple Orange, Satsuma Mandarin, Calamondin, Dwarf Dancy Tangerine, Mineola, Meiwah Kumquat, Nagami Kumquat)
    Coconut Palm
    Dragon Fruit
    Elderberry
    Fig (Black Mission, Ischia)
    Gingko
    Goji Berries
    Grapefruit (Ruby Red, Duncan, Red Flame)
    Grapes (Nobel)
    Guavas (Pineapple, Strawberry, Ruby Red)
    Jack Fruit
    Jujube (Contorted, Thai)
    Kei Apple
    Lemons (Bearrs, Meyers, Variegated Pink Lemon)
    Limes (Taihitian, Keiffer)
    Longan
    Lychees (Mauritius, Brewster, Sweetheart, Hak Ip)
    Macademia Nuts (
    Mangoes (Cogshell, Carrie, Pickering, Miracle, Nam Doc Mai)
    Miracle Fruit
    Olive Trees (Arbequina, Kalamata)
    Orange Berries
    Peach (Floracrest)
    Pomegranate (Dwarf Vietnamese, Dwarf, Unknown regular)
    Pineapples (Sweet Golden and others)
    Rambutan
    Sugar Apple
    Soursop

Hope to hear from you your experience growing tropical fruit trees whatever your planting zone is.

• James _J
    10 years ago

I'm fairly new to tropical fruit, I've had a few citrus trees for a while but started to pick up other things in the last 2 years. I live in New Jersey so I'm limited to pots that I can carry in and out of the house in winter.

Citrus: Meyer Lemon, Persian Lime, Valencia Orange, Kishu mandarin, Daisy mandarin, Cara Cara orange, one other orange unknown type.
    Avocado- Day
    Coffee
    Cinnamon
    Mango: Pickering and 2 Ataulfo (from seed)
    Sapodilla
    Miracle Fruit
    Pineapple ( from top of store bought pineapple)
    Dragon fruit ( from seed)
    Vanilla

In ground I grow,
    Pears- Bartlett, Chohiru
    Plums- a red and a blue
    Apples - 4 in one tree
    Figs
    Blueberries- top hat
    Grapes
    Raspberries
    schisandra berries

Looks like a lot when written out but I dont get much fruit. I do have some of the fattest squirrels in the area.

• soaht
    10 years ago

Mine are all still too small and young to produce any fruits yet, since I just started last year, but here's what I have so far

passion fruit-purple seedling of unknown origins, yellow Brazilian giant seeds(currently germinating) and cuttings
    mangoes- gold nugget seedling but might be a cutting? A few Nam Doc Mai seeds currently germinating.
    lychee- Mauritius and sweet heart(but it looks dead, since they're is no leaf and the branch seems dry, but the roots is still alive)
    longan-grafted kohala and seedling, ping pong seedling
    rollinia deliciosa-seedlings(some might be up for trading in a few months)
    cherimoya-seedling, grafted selma
    atemoya-grafted lidstorm
    dragon fruit-physical graffiti, purple haze, american beauty, Thai red, Arizona purple, roger's white, phoenix red and guyute
    guavas-Thai giant, emperor, hybrid pearl, and some unknown pink flesh
    eugenia-grumichama and pintagatuba
    papaya-tr hovey and some mexican seedling
    banana-raja puri and dwarf namwah

and now for some not so tropical:

bluberry-star, emerald, suziblue, rebel, southmoon, and jewel
    paw paw-sun flower
    grapes-maybe Thompson seedless
    kiwi-issai

This post was edited by soaht on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 16:59