Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veryzer

Texas tomato cage size?

veryzer
14 years ago

Any opinions as to whether to get 18" or 24" cages. Will 18" suffice for heirlooms? Input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• junktruck
    14 years ago

im a lil confused what texas has to do with it / but the bigger the better i would say on the cages for heirlooms

• shebear
    14 years ago

Junktruck......it's a brand of cages. They come in two sizes.

• junktruck
    14 years ago

ahhh its the brand name / i did see some very good looking plasticoat like cages today they came in red yellow and blue / think im gonna try a few / make my garden perty heheheh

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I thing since tomato spacing is usually about 24", then you would want to have some space between them. So I think 18" will do. Some of them suckers can always stick out anyway. hehe

PS. I do not use cages.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Get the 24 inch. I have the 24 inch and for some plants they are not big enough. I couldnt imagine getting smaller.

• johnny_tomato_seed
    14 years ago

Heya Tammy. Hope all is well.

I have 18 and 24 inch cages. I am trying to somehow get rid of my 18 inch ones.

• bigdaddyj
    14 years ago

I need 24 inches. My tomato plants get HUGE! And I don't prune. If you are like me you'll LOVE your 24" Texas Tomato cages and wonder how you ever managed without them...:)

• jel7
    14 years ago

I use the 24inch cage with a two foot extension.

Remember part of the cage goes into the ground for stability. The extensions add a "neat" touch to the garden.

John

• jerrya
    14 years ago

I agree with John, go with 24 inch and get the extensions. YOu will wonder how you lived without them. Your plants will appreciate the room and they will, before you know it, be growing out the top of the extensions and out the sides on all sides. I had to support some individual branches by tying branches onto 8 feet tall bamboo when a break in the heat resulted in new fruit set at about 7 feet tall. When those maters started filling out, the plant couldn't support them on their own.

• californian
    14 years ago

If you order direct from the manufacturer the price of the six foot high 18 inch and 24 inch is exactly the same, $99.95 for six of them, plus $32.70 for shipping, so might as well get the bigger ones. BTW, the ones that nurseries sell are only five feet high, but you don't need to buy six at a time. However most of them have it figured out that you end up paying the same per cage as if you ordered from the manufacturer including the very expensive shipping charge. You do save the sales tax though by ordering from the manufacturer unless you live in Texas.

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. Looks like 24" is the way to go.

• janissarie
    13 years ago

I haven't used mine yet (I just got them delivered). I wanted/needed 8-24" and I wanted the extensions so I called the manufacturer and they were able to pack 8 plus 8 extensions into 2 boxes. I saved some shipping costs and got the quantity I needed.