Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unmoderated

Need suggestions for trees

unmoderated
15 years ago

I know everyone loves these threads, so I was wondering what you all thought of my situation:

I want to plant a row of small trees along the front of my store. Here are the issues I am facing:

1. The space I plan on placing these trees is between the sidewalk and the building, about 12' wide. The surface is actually some kind of crushed/recycled asphalt a construction crew dumped on when they were fixing the sidewalks. I know the soil underneath this is terrible, so I planned on planting the trees in large containers, made of either stacked landscape timbers or stone/concrete.

2. The trees would be along the north side, they get about 5-8 hours of sun a day.

3. They would be exposed to a good steady wind, usually a west to east. There is also a fair amount of road runoff; salt, excess snow, etc.

So far I have come up with a few options:

Crabapple; the size is manageable, and most varieties sold around here would be OK with these tougher conditions.

Hawthorn: see above

Locust: I don't like locusts, they are a plague in this area.

My questions: Is it possible to have these trees survive and thrive in this environment? Any other choices for trees, or larger shrubs for that matter?

Comments (4)

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I have grown weigelia shrubs in very large containers for several years. They grow pretty fast but only get about 6ft. tall. They can be pruned to a standard so that it looks like a small tree and they flower in late spring. Mine has been blooming for 2 weeks and is still opening more buds daily.

Penny

• mikec4w
    15 years ago

Ginko Biloba. The PERFECT urban tree. My late Father in law had a huge female on his property & he grew a bunch of them from seeds. He gave me 2 of the biggest ones and i love them. They are about 20 years old and are the most perfectly symetrical trees i have every seen. You see them all over NYC because they are impervious to pollution.
    Look into places that advertised MALES garenteed for sale.
    They tell me the seeds on the females drop and stink but i have never seen it.

• mikec4w
    15 years ago

http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/24/665/0/33/76/2249033760042845271EkHlFG_th.jpg

above is a link to a pic orf one of my "pet" ginkos

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

I would agree with the Ginko, they have planted them all over downtown Buffalo, in little squares of dirt in the sidewalk, and they seem to be thriving. They have also planted Japanese lilac trees.

I bought myself a Ginko, I just love the leaves ...