Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korney19

N.Y., northern PA., southern Ont/Que growers & tasters wanted!!

korney19
17 years ago

Any upstate/WNY/CNY/northern PA/OH, southern Ontario & Quebec growers out there? Is anyone interested in a tomato tastetest/tastefest this year? I think there should be enough growers in these areas to put together a good assembly of varieties to have our own CHOPTAG-like tastetest.

We could have it on a weekend not conflicting with any other (CHOPTAG, TOMATOPALOOZA, etc) for a good draw of people, and late enough to have a large assortment of varieties. We (Remy & I) have discussed 2 different possible locations so far, one is private property (cottage) in Grand Island NY (between Buffalo & Niagara Falls!) and the other is a lake resort that has camping, swimming/beach, restaurant, entertainment, alcohol permitted, but charges admission (have to check but minimal amount for the day, maybe $5/person or a per car fee.) It's about 20 miles east of Buffalo, near Alden, NY, about 15 minutes from a Six Flags amusement park.

I know some people in this area will be attending CHOPTAG and maybe some 'TAGers will now reciprocate and have a reason to see Niagara Falls or make a night/weekend out of it.

I have 87 varieties started, Remy has a bunch too, anbody else interested in participating? Your thoughts?

Please post where you are & what you're growing, and if interested in participating.

Thanks.

Mark

matermark@gmail.com

Comments (17)

• zabby17
    17 years ago

Mark,

I am planning a wedding for this September so I may not be able to get to such an event this year, but I would try --- and I'm definitely in favour of it in principle! I'm now about 2 hour East of Toronto but would be willing to come to Niagara Falls/Buffalo area.

I haven't counted my varieties this year, and still have a few more to plant when my Sand Hill order arrives, but I usually have about 80 plants featuring about 50 kinds.

BTW, for anyone in the Eastern ontario region, there is a local organic vegetable grower who does a big tasting event every Labour Day Weekend --- and if you don't want to start your own seeds, she has a big sale of heirloom seedlings in May. Check out the link.

Zabby in Prince Edward County.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vickie's Veggies in Ontario

• heebiejeebie
    17 years ago

Count me in. I've got probably 12 different kinds going.
    Email jessica @ autumnrain.com the details

• korney19
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anyone else?

• zucchini
    17 years ago

One question at the moment...What about US Customs? Would they let tomatoes cross from Canada to the US??

Martha/zucchini

• korney19
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Martha, Barkeater posted at the other forum:

"The only common vegetables from Canada right now that aren't allowed are:

1. Fresh alliums with the tops (leeks, onions, shallots, garlic) because they found Leek Moth in Quebec and Ontario.

2. Fresh potatoes from your garden. Only store bought in the original bag are allowed.

Bring all the homegrown tomatoes you want"

• holly-2006
    17 years ago

Don't we need passports to get over the border now?

• zucchini
    17 years ago

as far as I know, if you are driving you can still use your drivers lic., and another photo i.d.

I drive to the states often...last two times by train, they confiscated apples as well as any fruits people had, even if it was lunch!

Martha/zucchini

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bump... anybody still interested? Tentative date is August 26th (I believe), Grand Island NY, between Buffalo & Niagara Falls. More details will follow. For Canadians, no passports are needed (doesn't go into effect until 2008 I believe.) Also Canadian growers see my post above about what Barkeater (APHIS/Customs) says about bringing your tomatoes. ("Bring all the homegrown tomatoes you want.")

We'd like to get some kind of head count or level of commitment for pre-planning the event, arrangements, ideas, etc.

ALSO, there may be a similar event within an hour of this, possibly the day before (or the same day -still have to get info) so here's a chance to possibly make a weekend out of it!

Thanks.

Mark

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

Hi,

I'm in southwestern PA (Pittsburgh), can I come? Our tomato tasting event here will not happen due to hosting a Chihuly Exhibit.

I think we're good with the drive in general, and I like the idea of other activities available for the weekend (I have an almost 3 yr old). Gosh, the drive to Buffalo is shorter than to Cincinnati for us.

I only have about 6 varieties though (small urban garden). The hardest part for me is that I work for a university and classes start on August 27th.

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YES, everyone is welcome!

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For anyone interested in attending, would you prefer August 26th (Sunday before Labor Day) or September 8th or 9th? (the weekend after Labor Day)

• robt3006
    16 years ago

Sounds like fun.I have about 25 varietys including Neaves Azorian, Earls Faux, Magnum, Porterhouse, Pink Russian, Purple Russian, Juan Flemm, Santa Clara Canner, Purple Calabash, Sungold, Black Cherry, Sugar Lump, Red and Yellow Pear and a bunch of others- either date would work for me. Hope it turns out- I think it'll be a great time.

Best of Luck,
    Rob

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toyota/Lockport Rob, that you?

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Lol, I call him Niagara Rob. Either name, it will finally be great to meet!

I wrote the following for Mark and everyone over on another forum, but I know some people don't go there. Hopefully this answers a few questions and if makes a few questions arise, great. It is always good to work the kinks out in advance.

The cottage is very easy to get to because it is the same exit and direction as Beaver Island State Park.
    The cottage has lots of space. People can park on the front yard as long as it stays fairly dry like it has been. There is a lot of street parking too. The back yard is huge. You can easily fit a few hundred people. There is a covered porch that accomodates quite a few people. The garage is also clean and normally is filled with tables for parties. There is also a wooden swingset and toys for kids. Beyond the backyard is woods with hiking paths which is still part of the property. There is a fire pit. The cottage is like a small ranch with full kitchen and a couple of bathrooms. There are lots of excess tables and chairs, a couple grills, most all supplies needed for a party.
    I was envisioning a party advertised here, on GW, and invite local friends we know, but not outside of that being that it is private property. So it would be a party for growers to celebrate their harvest with other gardeners, not people looking for an event to attend. I believe this is how CHOPTAG began.
    People would bring a dish to eat or other supplies like pop if they chose not to make food, and tomatoes they grew for a tasting. We could vote on them, maybe even by categories. Of course, I will be stealing any ideas I can from the CHOPTAG tasting.(I am going to their party.)
    Remy

• robt3006
    16 years ago

Hi there Remy and Mark.I hope this finds you and yours well.That spot on Grand Island sounds wonderfull!You can be sure I would be there. It would be nice to exchange ideas and tomatoes.If I can help in any way please let me know.Rob

• zabby17
    16 years ago

Mark, I think I could come! Am getting married in September so scheduling is a bit dicey but would make every effort.

Have got about 50 varieties this year.

About the border, from someone who crosses it regularly:

This year you can still cross in a car without a passport, as long as you have good picture ID (e.g. drivers' license, birth certificate, citizenship card, military ID).

I am sure barkeater is right about the tomatoes being allowed --- he would know! But in my experience, some border personnel, especially during the busy summer season when there are more part-timers, don't know the regs very well, so it's possible you might be given a hard time about them. In such a case, ALWAYS be polite, and ask to talk to the supervisor, and wait patiently if you need to, and eventually you usually get to someone who is more experienced and resolves it.

Hope to see people there!

Zabby

• korney19
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Zabby, when are you unavailable in September? Date has been moved back to Saturday, September 8th! Last minute wedding shopping spree?