Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Cherimoya $9 a pound!

I had it right up to the point I got to the counter. She asked me if I had any idea of the cost? I said no,there was no price. I was floored at the price and passed.
wow.

Comments (13)

• soaht
    10 years ago

Stan,

That is outrageously ridiculous. But, Those are very early season cherimoyas. If you wait a bit longer, when cherimoya are more in season, i'm sure they will be lower than that. Btw, if you would like to wait till December, I have the email of one cherimoya seller that sells 10+lb of name cultivar variety for $65(includes shipping). His price as, per our most recent conversation is still $65, but he may change his price, who knows. You could always ask him. If you would like to have his email, let me know privately in email.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks,but I just wanted one for the seeds..and to eat-lol. In the mid 1980's I grew one from seeds of a Safeway fruit. By 1988-89,it had sweet fruit,was about 5' tall and bushy. Then that big 1992 freeze took it out.
    But I see some around town twice the size of my old one,so I thought I might try one again.

• soaht
    10 years ago

I see, if you only wanted seeds, you might want to ask this guy on the other forum. His name is Joe/JF on the forum. He is in So Cal and a few of his earliest variety have ripen some.http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7646.msg98644#msg98644
    also check the link he posted at the bottom of the last post on that page. He might have some seeds to spare, since he has quite the large trees in his yard. Can't hurt to ask, even if he says no. And if you need any info or advice on any tropical fruits, that is the place to go to or just simply browser the site for information. GL!

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

Well at least one fruit will yield a bunch of seeds. It's annoying with some fruits how you have to buy a lot to get a few seeds. I'd just bite the bullet and get one from the store in a month when they are more in season.
    I have some old seeds from last year December that may or may not be viable if you are interested, although buying a fruit is probably only a couple bucks more than postage these days.

Hey didn't you have a thread last year about a cherimoya in Hayward? You can always see if that tree is fruiting and ask for a fruit or windfallen one. Are they self fertile?

ryan

Original Author
    10 years ago

The Hayward tree is still huge. But the occasional drive by..I never saw hanging fruit. All it takes is for one person to know what it is...I have a neighbor who had to put a fence around her Dragon Fruit planter. Eh,city life.
    I guess,I will hit Safeway in a couple of weeks.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I have always wanted to try Dragon Fruit and the only place that ever gets it around here wanted $10 each. I guess I wont be having any.

Mike

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

My parents live way out in the more rural suburbs and have a fence that separates their property from some open space. They have a large fig tree that has branches over the fence.

They never minded people taking those over-the-fence figs (obviously different from someone reaching into the property/over the fence), until one year when they trimmed those branches and a man came to the house to yell at them for pruning back their tree. I'm certainly guilty of taking fruit from overhanging branches, but I'd never think to get mad at someone for preventing me from doing so.

• soaht
    10 years ago

mksmith,
    If you would like to grow your own, let me know, I can get you a cutting or two from two of my bigger plants. I haven't tasted any of them yet as, it's their first year from cuttings, I got over the internet. But a few of the variety are big enough to take cuttings from. You can even grow and fruit them in a small of a container as a regular white 5 gallon water bucket. Those square 15-18 gallon Rubbermaid tote can be used, for a thicker/sturdier bucket, use a half 55 gallon plastic drum/wood wine barrel or those rope buckets(13-18 gallon), will do fine. They can fruit in 1-4 years from cuttings, depending on the maturity of the cuttings taken. Mine starter cuttings are mature, so maybe next year they will fruit for me, but the cuttings, being offered are younger and can take 2-4 years till first fruit. But the up side is that they are well worth the wait(should be very sweet and flavorful), not like those store bought ones, which are picked too early for transport and aren't at peak ripeness, so you will most likely be turned off, if you try those DFs. Let me know if you're interested in getting some cuttings for shipping coverage?(and I can fill you in on details of how to take care of them later, if interested in that too)

Seng

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Stan, this past spring I bought cherimoya seed from http://tradewindsfruit.com/ and every last one of them came up in record time. I think they were only 2 or 2.50 for a few of them. Yep, 4 seeds for 2.50. I've bought from them through the years, and 85% of the time, I get germination.

Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradewindsfruit, seed seller

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks MsMS!

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

The two times I've bought one from the store and planted the seeds I've got upwards of 90-100% germination. Kind of crazy and caught me off guard the first time. On the other hand, a couple of times my father-in-law has brought some up from SoCal (he knows someone w/a tree) and not one of those have sprouted. Could be the tree... could be fertilization... don't have a clue.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Seng

thats a great offer. I would like to try to grow some. Maybe next spring we can work out the details. We are getting into the time of year where we can have freezing temps anytime and my luck the package would sit on the porch or mailbox and freeze them. Ill get with you then.

mike

• soaht
    10 years ago

Mike,

That is fine, just let me know then, Take care!

Seng

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting