pwdsht

Black Krim, Why raise them?

pwdsht
13 years ago

Anybody raise Black Krim & why?

Comments (15)

• catman529
    13 years ago

I grew it last year and I'm growing it this year, it's a great small/medium sized slicing tomato with superb flavor (rich and complex, not too sweet which I like).

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

It is a very popular variety with many.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Krim discussions

• spiced_ham
    13 years ago

For me it has great flavor, is fairly early, and produces consistenly all season. Contrast: Cherokee Purple ripens a week or so later, produces a large first crop followed by fewer fruits later in the season.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

It's one of the most delicious tomatoes I've ever grown.

• euarto_gullible
    13 years ago

It ripens early, the taste is exceptional, and it is a nice, steady cropper of large tomatoes. Of the 20 varieties I grew last year, Black Krim is the only one that I knew I must grow again this year.

• mulio
    13 years ago

after growing it I asked myself the same question.

It's just slightly above average for taste and there are much better choices.

• laura21774
    13 years ago

I am growing Black Krim for the first time this year along with Cherokee Purple and Black Ethiopian. I've heard such great things about the flavor of the blacks. I am so excited.

• star_stuff
    13 years ago

Me too ...growing Black Krim, Black Cherry, Japanese Black Trifele, Black, and German Black.

• structure
    13 years ago

To make little kids ask questions. No, really.

• spiced_ham
    13 years ago

Mulio's response intrigues me, because he has grown a zillion varieties and knows a good tomato. But when I grew BK next to CP, BFT, Carbon, JBT, Paul Robeson, Nyagous, Black Prince, and Black Plum, the Black Krim came out on top, with the Japanese Black Trifel as a second choice. I like to do side by side taste tests, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't fooling myself. JBT is another one that people either love or don't think much of. I have to wonder how much of a varieties flavor is personal taste-olfactory indiosyncracies and how much of it is climate and soil.

• mockturtle
    13 years ago

I grow a lot of the black varieties. I have about 8 this year, including 2 Black Krim's. I just love their flavor. It's different, complex. Hard to identify.
    And they are beautiful in a salad with green zebras.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

I thought BK was tasty and would grow it again.

My SO, who is not a tomato fan, loved them. Black Krim's taste is complex and different from the standard(tm) tomato flavor. I'm at a loss to describe the flavor, but it seems to appeal to folks who don't normally like tomatoes, as well as to lots of tomato devotees.

• azruss
    13 years ago

Black Krim was one of the few varieties (Moreton and Bloody Butcher were the others) that got growing in our AZ heat in time to produce a fall/winter crop. Granted, not much ripened on the vine before frost, but they ripened nicely inside and were quite delicious. They were good sized tomatoes too. I'll try them again this fall.

• anthony_toronto
    13 years ago

Top 5 for me, but performed far better in hot dry summers than in cool wet ones. Exact opposite for Cherokee Purple, for me at least.

• ladon
    13 years ago

I think the Black Krims are pretty tasty. My favorite of the Blacks is the Paul Robeson. Really complex deep flavors and a beautiful color. For those of you who didn't like Black Krim, which of the Black varieties DID you like? Just curious.