Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

too late to start from seed

Yesterday, the entire flat of heirloom tomato seedlings I've been babying for weeks fried in the sun. Tragedy! I forgot to water in the morning before work, and by the time I got home most were goners. I'm now debating between buying plain old boring tomato seedlings from the nursery (gasp!) or starting some seeds directly in the garden. Is it too late to start new seedlings? I feel like with the warm temps they may catch up fast? What would you do?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (11)

• Bets
    12 years ago

Hi Chris,

Dang, that has to hurt!

You could try direct sowing. I've not done it with tomatoes. I think that I would probably be incilined to start them in some cells/containers/flats outdoors then transplant them into the garden. I just feel like it would give a better chance of success because if you use soilless seed starting medium, you are not subjecting newly sprouted plants to soil pathogens that might cause damping off or other problems.

You might check into the Zone Buddy page and see if you can find other growers in your area who might have extra heirloom and open pollinated tomato plants that they are looking to find homes for. (Zone Buddy Page) You will need to change your profile so they can email you.

Or click on the Exchanges link at the top of the tomato forums home page and post there. Or try both.

Good luck!

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Forum Exchange Page

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Betsy for the advice! I think I'll try starting some from seed in cells to see how they go and will start shopping around to see what the local nurseries have. I checked out Loew's and K-mart, but all they had were individually potted plants starting at $4 each! So much for them being cheaper than the independent nurseries.
    -Chris

• monet_g
    12 years ago

Chris,
    I'm sorry about your seedlings.
    You could try Craig's List or your local Farmers Market. The FMs in my area carry a load of different varieties for a reasonable price (4 pack/$1-$2).

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I'd start some from seed for planting a bit later than normal but still with good time to produce. I'd also try to find some of your destroyed varieties locally - or at least some heirloom types - and root some cuttings from them. For example, I saw several Brandywine, Arkansas Travler, and Bradley in 1 gallon tubs at Walmart yesterday. Each could easily supply 4-5 rooted clones off of them. It's very likely that a few other varieties are also available somewhere locally.

Good luck.

Dave

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. They're much appreciated!

• zabby17
    12 years ago

chris,

Do you know, I also wouldn't give up entirely on your seedlings (unless you already composted them).

Drench them and put them in the shade; keep 'em wet. I had a flat of peppers shrivel up so I'd given them up for dead a few years back when I had to leave for a family emergency and there was a, um, miscommunication w/ my DH about what "watering" seedlings meant. I soaked them just for the heckofit without expecting anything, and about half of them revived and caught back up in a few weeks.

Anyway, good luck! There are places that send heirloom seedlings by mail order, too.

Z

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, actually a handful did return from the brink, maybe about six seedlings, but most were too far gone I'm afraid.
    I did start some fresh seeds in starter mix (smaller varieties that I figure will produce faster), and purchased some nice sized standard varieties from a local nursery. All is well.

• bigpinks
    12 years ago

I seeded NAR, Mexico, Giant Belgian, Omars Leb and Dixie Golden Giant today and hope to put them in the garden for late tomatoes about June 25. That would give me over one hindred days here where I live before first frost. Biggest worry is blight. The suckers I raised last yr did well but blighted quickly and I didnt get any Oct tomatoes. I am in the process of learning container gardening and if I cant have late tomatoes in the ground I will resort to several container plants started late. Good luck!

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Hi Chris,

It may not be too late to order plants on line. However, I'm north of you and two zones colder and i'm just starting some seeds outside. By mid-July or so the plants will catch up and would be almost indistinguishable from most transplants.

You should have enough time to start from seed. Maybe pick up a couple of backup plants, just in case, but it would be an interesting experiment to start from seed again. :-)

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So not only did I have some of the original seedlings survive, buy some additional plants from the nursery and start some fresh seeds, but while weeding this weekend in the veggie garden, I found numerous tomato seedlings emerging from last year's plants. All in all, I may end up with more tomato plants than ever, lol.

• wtclark
    12 years ago

If you start from seed I suggest you plant Cherokee Purple. You should have edible fruit by end on Sept., plus they are about the fastest ripe fruit producers and have the best taste i have found.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH