Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkpowell

worms hanging from the rafters of the bin!

pinkpowell
15 years ago

I started my Worm Factory mid November with a couple of pounds of red wigglers and 250 Uncle Jims super reds. The worms have settled in nicely and the bin is active, lively and consuming more and more as time goes on. When I took their tray off to see what was going on in the collection bin (where worm tea would collect) I see a lot (100 or so) worms hang from the bin grate and in the collection area. So I put the tray back on and checked today, a couple days later, and still see the same thing. There is still some food left from my Monday feeding, the bin doesn't seem to be too wet or too dry. It is clear when looking at the worms anywhere in the bin which ones are the super reds from Uncle Jim's and which ones came from the other source. The super reds are fatter and longer. Oddly, the only ones hanging from the rafters into the collection bin are the other ones, no super reds are there. Maybe the "other" worms aren't red wigglers? Do I need to start my next tray? Any ideas why some are hanging from the rafters while the rest do not? thanks so much for reading my long post and I am thankful for any advice.

Joyce

Comments (7)

• eggle
    15 years ago

In the 2 years that I've had a worm bin, I've tried having 2 different bins. The first being an outside bin, the second was in a rubbermaid tube over the winter. When I would take the lid off the rubbermaid bin, I noticed that the worms were all over the place. They didn't just stay in the bedding, but explored all over the sides and the top of the bin.

I've read others worried about the same thing here, and it is just a natural thing. Sometimes they could be trying to escape the area of the bin, it is too wet, or even if you've put too much food in and it is heating up too much. Both of which you can watch and control.

I'm not sure about the worms you've wrote about though. Wrigglers are top feeders, while others like to burrow and drag their food down into a den. Most of the burrow feeders are night crawlers, which are big and fat. Wrigglers really aren't that big. There are many types of worms, that have different actions. Over time, if you think some aren't wrigglers, you may notice them die out as the conditions aren't right for them.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I have danglers in my lower trays too and have just gotten used to the idea that they move around. I think they someitmes like to hang out in the lower moister levels and then they get hungry and move upwards towards the food. When I have to take a tray off and set it aside, rather than squash the danglers sometimes I can tickle them into squinching upwards, or pull them out and toss them on top. Cheryl

• sbryce_gw
    15 years ago

Does anyone know what species Jim's "Super Reds" are? I looked all over his site, and can't find that information. From the description they might be EH's, but I can't be sure.

I would not buy worms from a supplier who did not tell you what species you were buying.

• 11otis
    15 years ago

I set up my Worm Factory on Dec. 9th. 2008 and purchased 1/2 # Red Wigglers with it. I doubt there were 1/2 lb. of worms there because I didn't see that many so I ordered 1 lb. from another supplier the following week. Lately I am getting danglers too. Not that many, about 10/day. If I don't check daily, they would dry out down there.
    What I have been doing yesterday, I lifted that tray and let one edge sit on the edge of the catch tray so some air can get to the drip catch tray. I haven't found any stranglers since. Either it works or ..... I don't have any worms left.
    Although there should be at least about 1 lb of Red Wigglers in there, I don't see much activity and it looks far from other people's worm bin pictures on vermicomposting.com
    My bin doesn't stink, it's not too dry or too wet and I fluffed the top layer every other day to get air in. So, right now I'll just wait and see.
    Otis.

• sbryce_gw
    15 years ago

Otis,

Give your bin some time to get established. 1 1/2 lb of worms spread out through the bin is not very dense. In a couple more months your bin will look more like the pictures you see of other people's bins. The worms need time to grow and reproduce to fill the available space.

If I don't feed for a while, my worms go deep looking for the microbes in the moister areas of the bin. I can poke around and not find a lot of worms. If I feed heavily, there are lots of worms right at the top of the bedding.

If you fluff the top layer every day, your worms may be going deep to avoid the fluffing. You have only had your bin a month. It is tough to not want to poke at it every day, but the best thing you can do for your worms may be to leave them alone for a few days and let then do what they do.

• 11otis
    15 years ago

sbryce,
    thanks for the encouragement.
    OK, I'll stop fluffing the bed.

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

The danglers are just exploring. Every time that you lift one of the trays you will find some worms moving from one tray to another. To prevent them from dropping through and getting lost in the collection tray, place a piece of fabric between the bottom tray and collection tray. (The Gusanito Factory of Worms recommends something called "weed barrier".) Liquid will pass through but the worms will get caught and eventually work their way back up. I also put cardboard scraps in the collection tray to absorb liquid and prop up the fabric.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville