Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weston142001

Plants look terrible after using organic fertilizer

weston142001
15 years ago

Hi, yesterday I used an organic fertilizer called Neptune's Harvest, fish and sea weed fertilizer. I followed the instructions for the amount of fertilizer, added the right amount of water and sprayed the leaves of all my tomatoes with the solution. Today, the plants look terrible. The leaves are shriveled up and the stems are curled, but surprisingly the leaves are still very green and the stems feel firm. Wondering now if I should run out and get some replacement plants or if these are just in some sort of shock that they will come out of. I have a mix of heirloom and hybrids and they all exhibit the same problemÂThanks!

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Did you spray in the direct sun or during the heat of the day? if so, that is your primary problem, not the fertilizer. Foliar sprays of any kind should never be applied in either situation, only in early morning, late evening, or on cool cloudy days.

And did you follow the directions for mixing it as a root drench or for foliar feeding? Usually foliar sprays are mixed at 1/2 the strength of root drench mixes.

Hose the plants off well with plain water. Most will likely recover although you will lose some foliage.

Dave

• weston142001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response. I sprayed the plants in the evening and they had no sun exposure for the rest of the evening and it was not too hot. I was pretty careful to follow the directions on the label, but i wonder now if i sprayed them too heavily. I suppose I will go ahead and get a few back up plants just in case...too bad as these had just started to really take off.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

Had your sprayer been used for weed killers before? It is tough to ever get the sprayer clean enough to use on "keeper" plants without damaging them. Best to keep a separate sprayer if you are using herbicides elsewhere in the yard.

Were your plants in the ground and growing well before you sprayed them? If you transplanted them and immediately fertilized you may be seeing transplant shock or plants that had not been hardened off responding to the outdoor conditions. In any of these instances, the spray would not have been the culprit.

• yummykaz
    15 years ago

oh that bites! I never get my tomato leaves wet. If you can find an organic fertlizer in your area calle TOP, it is pelletized chicken poop and everything I put it on looks amazing! Sorry for your loss there...but all good things come from bad, and now you know not to spray leaves anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: In my Backyard

• elkwc
    15 years ago

I use Neptune's Harvest fish and seaweed on a regular basis. Have never experienced any problems. I'm using it on 400 plus plants right now. I also use the humate.
    First I will ask what naturegirl did. Has this sprayer ever been used for anything else? I keep a separate sprayer for foliar sprays. I don't mix them much either. Do use my blackstrap molasses with most though. I have mixed at a higher rate on some that were potted too long and needed a boost and still no problem. So this is something new to me. I would expect them to bounce back soon unless there was some residual in the sprayer.
    They claim that weed killer will get in the plastic and can stay there for a long time. So I label my sprayers and if one quits I never use the parts on another. I learned this several years ago when I had similar problems. I wish you the best with the plants. JD

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I also have used Neptunes Harvest for many many years. It's cold pressed so all the micronutrients are active.

I've used it when the sun isn't shining, when it is shining, when the sun was setting and almost all times inbetween and not once have I ever had a problem.

So I feel confident that whatever observations were made that they probably don't pertain to the use of that product.

Carolyn

• jbann23
    15 years ago

I have to agree, Neptune's Harvest has been the one fish/seaweed fertilizer that's improved ALL the plants around here. That covers flowers and veggies, especially tomatoes. Even the weeds love the stuff.

• weston142001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I am sure that the issue was not with the product itself, most likely i used too much on the leaves, it is the only thing i can think of right now that might have caused the problem. I used a new spray bottle, so there were no other pesticides or weed killers in the bottle. I went out and got a few replacements from a local grower just in case....they are very big and healthy, hopefully it is not too late to put them in. Thanks again for all of the replies.

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Spraying on the leaves shouldn't have been a problem either. I use it as a foliar spray. I spray the whole plant and it drips to the ground below. Never with any problems. This is one instance where that really puzzles me. Seems you did everything right. Not sure the problem. JD

• catman529
    15 years ago

Hope your plants recover...I just don't use fertilizer at all and so far my plants are doing very well and the White Wonders have really taken off. And the soil they're growing in is rich in clay, so it's not the most fertile on earth...but still they are growing very well and I've got some baby fruits.

• mary a porter
    2 years ago

My Plant room and carpet smell horrible. I need advise on getting that stink out of every Thing. I Opened a new bottle of Neptune's harvest. It stinks so bad. I set it out side. I think it was trying to compost in the bottle. My big plants stink really bad. Please help.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living