Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gelatodave

Should I Remove Tomato Blossoms?

gelatodave
10 years ago

I started my tomato plants pretty early this year and needed to plant them very deep in my raised bed. They have only been planted for about 2 weeks and they are starting to form a lot of blossoms. The plants are all growing very well, probably about 2.5 feet right now with thick stems. Should I pull off the blossoms and let the plants establish solid roots and foliage or just let the blossoms bloom and fruit?

Comments (9)

• mambooman
    10 years ago

I actually have the exact same decision to make. Mine have been in the ground 2 weeks as well. I think I have decided to leave them. However, if someone here has compelling evidence to the contrary, I am still certainly willing to change my mind.

• User
    10 years ago

I don't think there is any reason to remove them. Now, I'm not certified in Tomato-ology, but I've never read that advice with regard to tomatoes (yes to blueberries, strawberries, etc.....not to tomatoes.) I've grown many happy plants with planting deeply, consistent watering, lots of sunshine and some support... :)

• Bets
    10 years ago

If the plants have been in their final location for two weeks and are starting to make blossoms, I think you should leave them. It is usually recommended that blooms that are on the plant at the time of transplanting be removed so that the plant can put its energy into forming a root system that will support the growth of blossoms and fruit. Your plants have done that and they are now ready to make tomatoes. I say let them.

Betsy

• gelatodave
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great! I'm leaving them. Thanks

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Don't we all want tomatoes, so bad ? LOL
    Why then nip the flowers on a healthy, growing plant ?
    Most of my plants are roughly in the same condition; Some have flowers others are in bud state. I am, instead, nipping the so-called SUCKERS so that they can send energy to flowers and ultimately fruits.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

From way back in time it used to be thought that suckers "sucked" energy from the plant. But they don't, they just increase the number of fruits one can get off a plant.

Which is why I've never removed suckers. There are places where it does make sense to me and that's when growing to two main stems, for whatever reasons and also growing in hot humid areas with plants too closely planted to allow for more air circulation to help prevent foliage diseases.

The major energy for plants is ATP and GTP produced by photosynthesis so the more foliage the greater the energy produced.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Carolyn,
    I nip the so-called suckers much early on. It is true that there is a colaboration between the foliage and the root system. But Until a SUCKER reaches to a state of flowering the plant will invest a lot of energy to grow it. So when I nip it and direct the energy to the buds and flowers that exist.

It make sense to have many branches if :
    1) you have a long warm season.
    2) i above plus you have a lot of space between plants.

But right now, I do not have either (1) or (2). So I think that I am optimizing my resources. I don not want to have a great big lush tomato plant toward the end of season with a ton of green tomatoes on it.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I'm a 'sucker plucker' but it is my climate that requires it. I've never touched the blossoms but rarely get them early. A few years ago i was out of town for work most of the summer and came home to a giant hedge without much fruit, (short season, NorthEast altitude). If i miss some suckers i let it go. Personal decision if they are longer than a pencil...so i suppose in am pinching about 65%.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

It depends on whether the tomato is determinate or indeterminate. If the latter, pluck away. On my indeterminate cherries, I don't let a flower stay until the plants are 3-4 feet tall. For my determinates, each flower I pluck off is, I have to imagine, a tomato I won't get. That's probably just my imagination though. Hopefully, a determinate isn't dumb enough to start flowering when the plant isn't mature.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert