Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celbrise

can worms sex with other worms?

Celbrise
11 years ago

i have some small pink looking worm it doesn't look like a normal worm since it was pinkish as if it's color faded away or it got burnt or something and just today while i was planting some stuff in my garden i found a big earth worm. not sure what kind but it's bigger then the ones i usually encounter which are the small pink ones ( they somewhat look like red wigglers to me ) this bigger earth worm is twice it's size and actually looks like an earth worm.

although now i only have 2 worms im hopping they can breed and give me more worms so i can start vermicomposting. i won't rely on they as of now as theirs only 2 but i mean is it even possible that 2 different worms can breed together?

Comments (5)

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

If they are two different species, and it sounds like they are, they will not breed. You should also know that worms pulled out of your garden soil will probably not do well in a worm bin.

There are three categories of worms: Deep burrowing, soil dwelling horizontal burrowers and surface dwellers. It sounds like you have one each of the first two. Composting worms are in the third category.

• buckstarchaser
    11 years ago

Worms must be both the same species and the same size. The size is because of the physical mechanism by which they mate.

Do note that this precludes the existence of so-called "hybrid" worms. There are no such thing, and if there were, they would not be any better than the original worm types.

If you are willing to start from a small quantity of worms, just go to any store that sells fishing worms (nearly all stores that sell fishing gear will sell worms) and ask for "red wigglers". That's the typical composting worm in all but the hottest climates.

• Celbrise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

we really don't have any fishing stores here. all the fishing stores here are all just sports stores meaning they sell fishing gear along with other sports gear like hunting gear, basketball gear,etc.. so it's hard to actually find a store that sells them not even nurseries here sell them.

but if that is the case i might just go back into the garden and find more worms.

hopefully they are composting worms otherwise i mean im just wasting my time in the end i probably will have to buy worms anyways but they cost like $40 here just for 1/4 a pound which is extreme expensive

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

Maybe give this a try. Find a leafy area that you have access too. The next food scraps you get, say an apple core, a bananna peel, and three watermellon rinds put them in a shady spot down under the leaves, all in a pile. In 3 6 and 9 days flip them over and look with in the top half inch of soil. If you find some worms. these have a good chance of being compost worms.

• Celbrise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i will try that method. but instead i will dig up the earth bury the scraps as their is a lot of fruit flies here i'll have to try around the area i found that 1 big worm i mean it wasn't even deep maybe 2-3 inches into the soil that i tilled

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor