Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

Clitoria Vine Seed Pods, Ripe When?

floridabear
16 years ago

Turns out I have missed about 2 dozen 'Double White Clitoria' flowers on all the vines I planted. I thought they hadn't bloomed all summer. Yesterday i looked at them and the vines are covered in long seed pods. All green. None brown and ripe. How long does it take to get these to ripen? I now see all the flower buds on the vines, and I saw 1 flower!! After all spring/summer, it has been blooming and putting out seed pods,and I missed every one of them. I picked one and the seeds are big and green now. I know they need to be tiny and black, and the pod dried up to be ripe. But when it dries up,it twists and 'throws' its seeds out to reseed itself, into my lawn!

SO, before it does that. Do I shake the pods and see if the seeds are detached? Or when they turn brown just pick them? Just make sure the seeds are hard? Or is there a trick to picking them at the right time?

I managed to miss the flowers, the seeds cost me a fortune for 5 seeds,now I will have A LOT of seed and I can sell them on EBay and make the money. IF I can catch them before they end up in the grass and are gone.

Comments (3)