Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fool4flowers

Anyone know what kind of tree this is?

fool4flowers
16 years ago

Its in my next door neighbor's back yard and he would like help identifying it if anyone can help.

Comments (13)

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Looks like it may be a red oak with apple galls on it

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

The seed pod and leaves remind me of quercus canbyi (sierra red oak) at least that is my best guess.
    Happy Planting David

• User
    16 years ago

Looks like oak with galls to me too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak galls

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had thought it might be galls also but they don't appear to go around a stem more like hang from a stem like a fruit. Will these things hurt his dogs. I think thats what he is worried about if think they are balls and chew on them.

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

Looks like oak leaves, but the balls on it resemble the description of osage orange (Bois d' Arc). I have no direct experience with osage orange, so I can't say for sure.

Anything that big that falls, could certainly injure a pet, I would think, depending on the size of the pet, and where they get hit.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, now that you mention it we went on a trip a couple of years ago up to Oklahoma in the fall and I kept seeing what I thought was orange trees growing wild and made my husband stop and I hiked through the bushes and got one and took it home and it ruined my best knife. I could never get the sticky sap off. I'll look those up since I don't remember what the leaves looked like. I will try to take a better pic also. It was nearly dark when I took that one. I believe he is worried about his little dogs eating them. Never thought about them getting knocked in the head, lol.

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

Look at these

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple galls

• centraltexan
    16 years ago

That sure looks like a red oak. I have a few in my yard. I've never had the galls in them, but I see a number each year when someone brings one into my office to ask what it is. Pull one off and cut it open. It should be kind of spongy inside and you may or may not see a grub like larva inside. The gall should be very light and easy to cut. It will not hurt the dog if one happens to fall off the tree.

Glad to see your post. The two brug cuttings you gave me did not make it. I guess I did something wrong. Hope the plants I gave you did OK.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, sorry they didn't make it. I lost a few myself. They can be difficult to overwinter. Once they are bigger and you can plant them in the ground the care is much easier. Let me know if you want to try again. The plants you gave me are doing well. The variegated rubber tree still isn't too happy but has stopped getting the brown edges on the leaves and is growing some new ones so it must be doing ok now. The tree is limbed up pretty high. I'll tell them to save it for me if one falls and I'll perform an autopsy, lol.

• maden_theshade
    16 years ago

Definitely Red Oak. Mine have those same balls on them and I had wondered what they were. I thought they could be spider egg sacs. I see them all over the tree and they fall off into the yard. Good to know what they really are!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    16 years ago

Thanks Marti and Jolana for knowing they are galls. My next door neighbor showed one to me and I was stumped! He has Spanish oaks, but I can't see any more up in the tree. Anyway I told him what it was. He was worried about a possible effect if his dogs chewed on it.

• fool4flowers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jolana, once again you are dead on. I got him to knock one down and opened it and it does indeed appear to be oak apple gall. You are the bomb!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

So glad you are back, Jolana --- we have been wandering around out here in the dark without you.