Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattygrow5

NEW: 5th Annual Whats Left on My Want List Swap

pattygrow5
14 years ago

Here I am it's that time again.I actually am doing this early this year We all have want lists of those elusive seeds this is a swap to try to empty those lists

here are the rules in this swap

first we all sign-up I will take sign-ups until October 20th

THEN YOU HAVE TO UPDATE YOUR WANT LIST as soon as possible so others know what you are looking for

then you can check everyones lists ONLY SEEDS THAT ARE ON PEOPLES WANT LISTS are to be sent

to make it easier for me mark who the seeds are for

make sure you keep checking for the members who sign up all the way to the 20th of October so no one gets left out

then you can send the seeds to me I will get them back within a few weeks of getting the last persons seeds

the deadline for sending will be the 25th of November.This was great last year we all seem to get a lot of our wants

I am making a limit of 250 packs this year because I don,t send duplicates(unless you request it) it's hard with that many sent

a few other rules this year this is a seed swap not a cutting or root swap send only seeds

please if you can't follow thru with this don't sign up for others will be checking your list and gathering seeds you want

I am going to have agirlsgirl-Angie I am sure most of you know her as a co-host she will be helping me with sorting and answering questions on here this year I couldn't have done it without her last year it got a little overwhelming and she helped me thru it .That also is why I am doing this early my DH asked for it to be finished before the holidays

Also if your e-mail is blocked thru gardenweb either unblock it or e-mail me directly I can't send you my address and the rules unless I have your direct e-mail address

As soon as I get your sign-up I will e-mail you .

Hoping to hear from all of you.

Thanks Patty

Comments (115)

• debby_1
    14 years ago

I would like to join. Not sure about how it works, but will figure it out.
    Debby

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

I've been silently lurking, until now! Sign me up! I've loved this swap in the past, and just can't pass it up! I'll get busy with my want list! :0)

Karen

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Hi, I'd like to join this swap. I didn't get in last year because I was too new and already involved in a couple others. Now, I have lots of seeds that I won't use that I'd love to give away to somebody who would enjoy them. And if I get something back that I really want, that's a bonus! It's supposed to rain here all weekend, so I had already planned to update my seed list then anyway.

Please sign me up!
    Sue ~ suecirish

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

41 and counting!!!! :)

Welcome debby!:) This swap is all about getting those much wanted seeds! All you have to do is fill up your want list with all the seeds you would like to have, or dream of having! Then you look at the want lists of all the other players,find seeds you have for them, pack them up,mark them for which player they are for and send them in before the deadline to Patty.You will send as much postage as it costs you to mail it to Patty along with your bubble envy. Many of us send a little extra to help Patty out at the PO when she mails them all back to us,it is not required,just a nice gesture.She will send you an email with the details by the end of the day,if you do not get it, post here and we will get it to you!:)
    You get as many packs back as you send in,so if you send in 20 packs you will get 20 packs back,likely more.This is a very fun swap, we always have a good time,especially when it gets close to mailing time! I am glad you decided to join us! If you have any questions ,feel free to ask,this is a very helpful group of people also! ;)

I am off to nurse this stupid head cold for awhile...I can't believe it,there is something with this swap and my well being...lol...

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

42!!! I didn't see Sue until I refreshed!...lol...Glad to see you Sue! Where is our Kym? I am going to have to go and pop in on her!;)

• sunset_in
    14 years ago

Please count me in, too. Thanks!

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hi guys,
    Today is a beautiful day,cool, but nice.
    I was out loking at my seeds, seeing which ones are ready to be gathered,when i thought,"I wonder if you newbies know you should buy up your potting medium NOW,"come dead of winter, you will not find any,any where.Buy more than you think you will be needing,cause you will need more,ha ha
    Just a little tip from one who had been there.
    cAROL

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Hi guys. I just wanted to offer a suggestion. Feel free to look at all our lists, but you should also check them at the deadline day, just incase anybody makes any last minute changes.

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Hey tiger2462 - who's your friend on gardenweb that told you about this swap? We always like to thank our wonderful gardenweb buddies that bring other great members to us!

Diana :)

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I have a question and am posting it here so others can see what the answer is along with me. Sometimes when I harvest seeds from my garden they are from ONE flower that bloomed. Usually that is not a lot of seeds. Is it okay to send smaller packets like that or is there a certain minimum to include? Obviously, sometimes I have a large harvest of some things, too. It just depends.
    So - is there are guideline about the number of seeds? I must admit that if it is something I want, I am happy with 5-6 seeds but that is me and may not be true for most people.
    Thanks!
    Jeanne

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Ok I am in. As if I need more seeds. Dh will kill me but oh well at least that will make more space for more flowers :-0.

Paula

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all
    we are up to 43 players now but I still don't have e-mail addresses for these 4 people you are not offically in the swap until I get that and I send you a letter with my address
    bhnash
    ruthz
    tiger2462
    barefootgardener
    seeds should be no older than 2007
    sandlapperrose a seed count of 5 or 6 is good for a less common seeds
    have fun with this and remember don't send seeds to someone that you wouldn't want to get
    Patty

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

ollierose,Whos tiger2462?
    I don't see them here.
    cAROL

• jas_il
    14 years ago

For updating wish list here is the easy link. After login you need to paste this link on your browser to update your seed list.
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch-edit.cgi

You can Alphabetize your list in MS word too. You need to paste the seed list and then need to select whole page ctr+A then on top menu click on "Table" and "Sort" and click "OK".

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Carol you are so right! It is so sweet of you to think of posting that for us,no one wants to be sitting on a stack of seeds and have nothing to ws them in!:)

perennialfan,great suggestion! We normally check the want lists up to the cut off for sign ups and then that's when we get packing.Many of us will keep adding to our want lists up to that date,so it is a good idea to check the lists one more time before mailing! :)

I plan to list details for mailing once the deadline for sign ups is here,that way everyone knows what to do.I can post them now,but I know they will be missed by many scrolling through!;)

We are now 44 strong,this is going to be a great swap, I can tell already!

Everyone have a nice night and sleep tight! :)

• smpetrou
    14 years ago

I would love to join! This sounds great:)

Stephanie

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

My Wants list is pretty up-to-date, and any changes I make will be posted to the TOP of it, with the date. So, everyone feel free to start marking seeds for me, in permanent ink (just kidding, Patty!) and I'll make it as easy as possible for all of you to see the new stuff I add ;)

Very good advice, Carol, it's hard to find potting mix in the dead of winter, which is when all the seed-sowing happens!

We're still doing about 20 seeds for a regular packet, right? And probably fewer than that if they're big?

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

ooh...I want to join!

I've not been very good with seeds in the past, but want to try wsing this year.

Since I haven't really done seeds, I was afraid I wouldn't have anything to trade. Then I realized I have a yard full of seed-producing things, so I'm off to learn about seed collecting! This will be so much fun!

Patty, thanks for hosting this. I'll send you that email shortly.

~CA

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I updated the "wants" on my seed list yesterday. I certainly don't expect all that I have listed there - a few packets of seeds will make me happy!
    Jeanne

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Hey Carol,

They posted about two-thirds of the way down from the top of the post. Here's there text, although I don't believe they have unblocked their email yet and I haven't seen them back on the thread. Hopefully we'll hear from him/her soon.

* Posted by tiger2462 5 - 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 19:23

Am I too late? A member just emailed me cause I am new and said to come here. Still trying to learn how to get around here. lol!! I do have a list. Just not big. Pretty much anything goes. Thanks

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Patty

Thanks for the email regarding the swap. Can't believe it's time for the swaps to start, where did summer go? Of course sign me up for another 'Whats Left on My Want List Swap'.

Sandy

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

oK, I found her,she has some nice things to trade,hope she comes back.
    cAROL

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Wow this is a quickly growing list lol

I'm not quite finished with my trade list, but I'll post when I am. Still have some harvesting to do and drying, fermenting etc.

It's great to be in this one again :) lots to do and wish for and share...it's so exciting!!!!!

Toni

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I need to harvest my tomato seeds,it is raing,so i will need to wait,and i have many seeds i need to gather,after the rain.
    cAROL

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

This was a great swap last year, sign me up! This is the only swap I'm doing this fall/winter, really it is... =P No really. I can't completely ignore my family for a whole 'nother winter!!

Thanks Patty for hosting and Angie for helping! Just one question... is it alright to contact people participating in the swap to "beg" for seed if they have something you REEEAAAALLLY want? (I don't mind if people do that with me, BTW...)

Lori

• drippy
    14 years ago

Hi, Patty - I would like to join - I see some things I have on other people's lists (I will wait, though, until updating is complete). I have a caveat, though, to players - I typically have had a lot of stuff to contribute in the past, but not so much this year as we've had a crazy year with jobs and moving, so even though I have a large wish list, PLEASE don't earmark lots of seeds for me, as I don't have as much to give back. It just wouldn't be fair!

But this is always a great idea, so I'm in!

Kim

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Lori,
    I haven't updated my list yet either,but when i do, if i have any thing you are interested in,please let me know,and i will put your name on it.
    cAROL

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all I am going to start a new thread we are almost up to 100 but first I am going to answer a few questions
    Lori we really don't want to e-mail people and ask them for seeds last year some people were upset if someone like Carol just did says OK thats fine but please don't e-mail just anybody asking for seeds just put it on your want list
    also you need to send me your e-mail address so I can send you the acceptance letter
    also bhnash and tiger2462 I still don't have you e-mail addresses I will answer more questions at the top of the new thread
    Patty

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

Patty,

That's totally fine, thanks for clarifying. I won't ask anyone unless they specifically say it's ok. I hope you don't mind that I asked about it, I just get so excited to see some things on people's lists that I've been wanting SOO bad! =)

Lori

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

PLEASE contact me if you see something from my have list that you REALLY want.

I am making a list, but I could easily miss something...especially if people have a good want list and then update it. Plus, my seed collecting assistants "touch" keys on my computer...I am smart enough to close the thing when on a retail site...

Last year, I had less to contribute but recall how PUMPED I was to receive my seeds!! I want to pay it forward this year!!

I think I am close to the packet limit (YEAH) and need to trim the list as more people sign up. I would hate to miss a REALLY WANT in my trimming.

Thanks swappers!!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Please free to contact me, too.

• conniesc
    14 years ago

you can contact me as well.

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all we can only have a few more posts here then we are at the maximum of 100 I started a new thread same as this but with #2 in front of it if I get a chance to update my want list you can contact me too I will try I have a lot going on right now.
    Patty

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

I hope it's not too much trouble, but can we go ahead and get a clickable list now? Angie, if you're too busy right now, it's okay, I can wait. I just thought it might help give me some ideas of what others are already wanting. I plan to make an order of things that I can share and wanted to do that right away.

As for the online alphabetizer link that was posted... I'm SO glad some you also find it handy. I use it all the time. It's nice that you remembered that it was me. It made me smile. :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Ok, kilngod11 ( Tina) hooked me. I have never done a swap before. Was too intimidated with how it works.Plus I have never had enough seed saved. This yr worries over my grand daughter etc have diminished,life has settled down after 3 yrs of extreme stress, and I have gotten back to gardening.
    So add me in. I couldnt resist Tina's temptation,lol
    Tammy

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Why create the clickable list now? Sign-ups haven't closed yet so there may be others to join between now and the sign up close. Angie was planning to post a separate thread with the clickable list that was it can remain at the top of the round robin thread - there won't be any need to post to that thread, questions can be posted to Patty's 2nd, 3rd, 4th threads and so on. It just seems a bit premature and extra work for Angie if she posts the list now. She'll have to post it all over again if we get new participants.

As for contacting people about seeds on their have list that you really want, I thought this created a big mess last year and I know that it did upset some people. I realize that some are okay with being contacted, but others aren't. I personally do not want to be contacted privately for seeds. I think the fun in this swap is the excitement of your seeds being a surprise when you get them in the mail. I like that better than knowing everything I'm getting before it arrives. I see this swap as a chance to be a kid again. It's like being in a toy store and seeing all the things you'd love to have but having to wait until Christmas morning to see what you actually get. Why not just make sure that you have an item on your want list if you see that a person has it on there have list? It's also a chance for me (and all of you) to play Santa and surprise others with seeds they are dying to have.

I would like to ask that everyone please follow Angie's request of placing a "#" by any seeds on your want list that you know someone is sending in for you. Some of us may have very valuable seeds and only have a small amount of them. Some may be seeds we are planning to grow ourselves and they may even be tough to germinate. For example, if I only have 10 seeds of something, but would be willing to share 5 seeds with someone in the swap, it would really stink to know that the person I sent them to ended up getting 3 trades of it in the swap. I could have increased my own odds with that particular plant or possibly shared it with someone else that wanted it.

I'm not planning to look at anyone's list until after the close for sign-ups for two reasons. One, I don't want to go to the trouble of ear marking seeds for people only to find out that they removed it from their want list and then have to redistribute seeds. Two, I would imagine that most people are still updating their want lists until the sign up close, so I might miss seeds that someone really wants if I start reviewing lists now.

Sorry if I offend anyone, that's just my two cents.
    Diana

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

(((HUGS)))

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Diana, I agree with you! I am still working on making me a new wish list and will be for a few more days! My old one has things I've already gotten and many new things I want! So I also won't be looking at lists until time comes that everybody has signed and updated!
    Have a great day everyone! Melinda

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Can you send more than 1 pack of a same seed such as balloon flower etc?
    Tammy

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Welcome Tammy! We are glad to have you!

You can send in more than one pack of any type of seed as long as it's on more than one persons want list. For example, if you see a particular type of seed on 10 peoples want list, then you can send in 10 packs of that type.

Diana

• molanic
    14 years ago

Please sign me up.

I was in a want list swap last winter and it was so much fun. I was like a kid on Christmas morning! Unfortunately, it was held later in the season, and so it was too late to wintersow things that needed a long cold period to germinate. This swap with an earlier date will be perfect! I should have my lists updated sometime this weekend.

-Molanic

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Woohoo - more sign-ups!

I posted a response to Tammy's question since I spoke to Angie this morning. Patty's at work and won't be able to respond until later today and Angie and her son are both sick today, so I'm not sure how quickly she'll be able to post. She did say she'd be on the thread sometime today though.

Have a super Friday everyone!

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

I wanted to let others know that I am willing to accept requests. I thought this may make it easier on me to figure out what to send. Please be patient with me, this is all new to me.
    tammy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

okay, okay...count me in please.

Suggestion when you make the clickable list for the member trade pages...note next to the ones that said it was ok to contact them with requests...yes? no?

Another suggestion...when updating your have and wish lists, note the date they were updated too.

Anywho, it is fine with me for anyone to contact me with requests, but I do need to update both my have and wish lists...think I will go make note of that now on my lists.

slo_garden, You probably just need to clear your cache if you are still not seeing your updated list in IE.
    Start
    All programs
    Accessories
    System tools
    Disk clean-up. There might be a different way to do it, as I am not familiar with IE, as I only use Firefox

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Yippee - Sue joined! I like your suggestions too!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'm sorry for requesting the list so soon. I wasn't trying to start anything or cause a problem for the swap. I just remembered that last year it was being posted and updated all along as people were joining. I wasn't trying to only send to a few that had their lists up before everyone else, just so you all know. I am just still very new in knowing what kinds of things others want is all. I thought if I saw something on several lists that it must mean a lot of people might like that type of seed is all. I am making an order because I have to if I want to have anything to send in. I would hate to make an order for things that nobody is wanting. It's no big deal, though. I'll just place an order for things that I want and hopefully others will be putting some of the same items on their own want lists so that I can share the extras. I think I'll go ahead and place the order, then put down what I ordered on my "haves" list so others can add them to their wants if they're at all interested in them. I hope that sounds like a good plan. Again, I apologize. I absolutely did not want to cause any problems. I was just trying to see if I would be able to have anything to send in that others wanted.

Blessings,
    Angela

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

This thread is closed,Patty started a second thread,please make any further posts to that thread! Thanks! :)

NEW: part 2 5th annual whats left on my want list swap sign ups

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

To clean the cashe on Internet Explorer it's easy.
    Tools
    Internet Options
    Delete Cookies (will take a while if it's been a while since cleaned out).

then do
    Delete Files

then do
    Clear History

Click okay

Should be good to go

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

yay! welcome sue!!

I'm ok with people contacting me as well but my lists won't be up there til early next week. 4 outta 6 in this house are sick with colds or some nastyness and I got to join that club today... :P

~Wendy / sassyb...

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Please be sure to make posts to the new thread,these ones may get over looked! We don't want to miss any questions or suggestions,so please stick with the new thread! Thanks!:)