Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robeb_kc

septoria leaf spot question

robeb
14 years ago

I've grown in containers on my patio for several years.

The last 3 years I've been getting what I'm pretty sure is septoria. This year it came on earlier than usual... we've had a very wet spring.

Here is my question. There is some type of thorn tree about 10 feet from the edge of my patio. After these large storms of late, my patio & plants have leaves from this tree scattered on them. I got looking at some of these leaves and they look like they have leaf spot as well:

What do you think? Any correlation?

Comments (5)

• mulio
    14 years ago

the tree is anthracnose. It has been especially abundant on maples this year in KC. Don't worry about the tree - when it gets dry it will go away and the tree should recover. No sense in spraying it.

The tomato leaves look like mechanical damage more than leaf spotting from septoria. It has been excessively windy a few times in the past week.

So far the only think I have seen is early blight and that has been just today that I have seen it. Im sure if the humidity keeps up septoria wont be far behind. But that is not what you are seeing in any of those pictures.

Anthracnose on tomato is usually only a problem later in the season when tomatoes are ripening but the infection can start when fruits are small and green. It is considered a weak pathogen and dry conditions generally take care of it. Avoid overhead watering or wetting the plants.

• robeb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mulio, thanks for the reply.

I'm not worried about the tree at all. I've had enough of it's thorns in my feet. If it weren't for the shade it provides, it'd be gone.

I know what you're saying about wind damage. That first pic was of a rather large PL, that did get beaten up by storms.

What makes me lean toward fungus are all affected leaves were only lower on the plants, and some were not torn up by the storms... they just looked like this:

And this:

• wvtomatoman
    14 years ago

robeb,

Based on what I see in the most recent picture you posted and your description I agree with your assesment of Septoria Leaf Spot. However, the only way to know for sure is to contact your local extension office and have it tested. And they can advise you as to what is common to your area.

In my garden cool wet conditions followed by hot humid conditions almost always set off the foliage diseases. In my area the most common are Septoria Leaf Spot (Septoria fungus) and Early Blight (Alternaria fungus).

Good luck.

Randy

• robeb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Randy,

Good advice about contacting my local extension office, but I've already removed the affected leaves. They do accept photos via e-mail, but I don't think I have enough quality pics for them make a diagnosis.

It sure can get somewhat confusing trying to determine if one has Septoria leaf spot, bacterial spot, etc. The reason I believe that my plants have septoria vs bacterial spot is I've had these same symptoms in previous growing years & it never affected the fruit, unlike bacterial spot.

There's another thread on the subject started today. Looks very similar to my problem, but the second poster is guessing bacterial spot:

Here is a link that might be useful: leaves on Tomatoes Going Yellow

• mulio
    14 years ago

what I am seeing now the most of is early blight. But I have seen septoria.

Watch a lesion, if it "grows" bigger and makes a target spot thats early blight. If it stays small but you start getting more (sometimes with a whitish gray center) that's septoria.

You could have bacterial spot/speck but I have not see than much of it here even in other years.

here are pics from last night

This is early blight. These are younger small lesions probably only about 3-4 days old. They are just beginning to get the concentric rings.
    {{gwi:1351505}}

This is septoria and early blight on the same plant. Some of the lesions havent grown = septoria and others are getting larger = early blight, especially those the near marginst.

{{gwi:1351496}}
    click on for larger pic

Here is a link that might be useful: tweet pics

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting