Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
augiedog55

adding fish carcuses to soil ?

augiedog55
12 years ago

Bet you've never heard this question before...LOL.. I fish alot in the fall. I fillet alot of crappies. Would it hurt to bury some of these carcuses in the soil where i grow my tomatoes?Its basically skin guts head and bones.. or would it hurt to put a carcus in the bottom of the hole when i plant in the spring..Indians did it... Hope I didn't ruin your morning lol

Thanks

Bruce

Comments (11)

• terrybull
    12 years ago

my parents and grandparents did it. i cant because im in self watering containers.
    also they just used the heads, bones and skin but no guts.

• riceloft
    12 years ago

My mom buried a trout carcass and then planted a rose bush over it. She planted 3 other rose bushes at the same time, semi-nearby with the same sun exposure.

The one over the trout carcass is 3x as big with easily 5x as many flowers on it.

So yeah, I'd say do it!

• tomva
    12 years ago

It works really well,but one year I had an animal come into the garden and kill all my tomato plants trying to get to the fish,so I quit doing it.

• tokizy
    12 years ago

I'm glad someone posted this. I was thinking about this. You always see the planting of the crops pics and what the Indians taught the Pilgrims (my kids are in elementary school). I think I might try it out next year. Maybe I will go to the local farmers market, get all the fish nasty they serve up and till it into my garden. Or just scoop a bucket of chum into each hole. Of course I would be more after head and spine as opposed to skin and guts.

Thanks for posting and sharing this thought.

• riceloft
    12 years ago

I probably wouldn't just "till it in". I'd bury it at least 8 inches down, if not more, and then till in the fall after it has had a chance to decompose a bit.

• barryla61
    12 years ago

Heard it works.
    I had though about composting fish remains in grass clippings for a year then working that into my soil the next spring.

• tsheets
    12 years ago

I have wondered about that as well. In reading on composting they say not to use animal fats / meat in the compost pile. But, growing up we always buried our fish leftovers in the garden. So, wasn't sure if it was recommended or not.

• harcourt
    12 years ago

I do this any time I have fish parts left from filleting. I use them both at planting and around existing plants, without disturbing the roots too much. These are fresh parts that don't have much smell, and I try to water well to keep raccoons disinterested. I find them to be a gentle fertilizer for all my plants, not just vegetables.

• springlift34
    12 years ago

Without a doubt in your mind, do it.

Dig it deep,till around on top layer, and be encouraged about the truth. I fish in the spring here on Lake Livingston,TX and catch 500-1000 shad on 20 minutes.

I planted around 20 plants in a trench. 10 days before and after I tilled(Troy-Built),I would bring the leftover shad=bait home and just pour the shad/blood/water over this area.

Many ants at first,then it dies down.

No idea about useful properties regarding a 5-gallon bucket of shad vs. a single fish scale.

Take care,
    Travis

• augiedog55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going to try it. I'll dig my holes about a ft. deep and put the fish remains in the bottom and go from there. Thats should be deep enough. I live in town so not to many coons around here, maybe a possum or 2 but I don't think they would dig that deep. they are lazy.
    Should be an entertaining experiment.
    Bruce

• springlift34
    12 years ago

I might think about sawing that fish in three, for quicker results. Foot deep, with a strong foot stamp. Do not forget that the tomato plant roots stretches near the soil level sideways, so maybe look at it 1 foot deep, and half a foot soil surface wise.

Ants will speed the process, keep away the diggers, and give you what you may be looking for.

Take care,
    Travis

Sponsored
Threshold Design and Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Design + Build Services in Mecklenburg County, VA