Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soxxxx

hydrogen peroxide - how did I miss this?

soxxxx
12 years ago

Surfing the web I ran across a site touting the use of hydrogen peroxide for fertilizing plants and to enhance seed sprouting and starting plants from cuttings.

In my years of gardening I had never heard that before.

Is this a widespread practice?

Does anyone here do it?

Comments (7)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I've read about it in the past but always forget to use it.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I had not heard of it, but after reading up on it since you posted, may try it on some of my brugs as they have taken a real hit this season. I saw charts that gave amounts to use, etc, and this would be very helpful.

• texasflip
    12 years ago

That's really strange to use it as a fertilizer. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen...I guess it could give the roots an oxygen boost.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago

I start my daylily seeds using a mix of peroxide and water - I soak them in clear plastic baggies and when the white tip shows, I plant the seeds. It really helps them germinate quicker. 6 T peroxide to 1/2 gallon of water. I dont know about other seeds but dont know why it wouldnt work. I have not fertilized with it, but there is probably some information on the internet about it.

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

There is a lot of info on the web about it, apparently...

I'd never heard this either, but I might try it on my containers. It's 1/2C. 3% peroxide to 1 gallon of water.

A lot of places give you the ratios for food grade (35%) peroxide, but that stuff is wicked; I'd rather not play with it if I don't have to...

Alameda:

What's your setup for germinating seeds with peroxide? I've never had success with germinating seeds in baggies, so be specific; I'm tired of killing things :)

~AOK

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

i've germinated amaryllis seeds like that. learned about over at the amaryllis forum. main reason to use h2o2 is to keep the mold/yucky stuff from growing.

i use a tupperware bowl about 6" diameter, 3" tall. fill half way with tap water, then add approx 2-3 teaspoons of h2o2. throw the seeds in there, spread them out, they'll float. a week or two later, the tap root comes out.

• novascapes
    12 years ago

I think it will work on some seeds and not others. It works because it eats away the shell or at least weakens it. Other seeds may only need to be scarified. Some like Texas Mountain Laurel benefit by a strong acid soak.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!