Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdunham_gw

Blood Orange trees

cdunham
13 years ago

Does anyone know where you can by these orange trees as in the DFW area?

Comments (25)

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

You might check with Northaven Gardens.

They have a lot of variety, & sometimes they even can tell you where to find something if they don't have it at the time.

Best luck!

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

I hope to find some citrus trees this spring. I remember Redentas having a few last year. Don't know about Blood Oranges. I was looking online and found a meyerlemon.com but they list TX as a state they can't ship citrus to.

I'll ask anyone who might know the answer and let you know if I learn anything
    c

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

We always check with our extension agent as here every County has tree sales in the Spring and in the Fall and you can find things you can't anywhere else.
    Paul

• copingwithclay
    13 years ago

Although my 2 Moro blood oranges on Carrizo Citrange rootstock have some cold hardiness below 32 degrees, they wouldn't survive your winter w/o special protection. Have your plans included special cold protection?

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

certainly!
    c

• vanhuynh16_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Did anyone find a place in DFW to find a blood orange tree at this time? Thank you :)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I'm curious to know the attraction to growing blood oranges. I tasted one at a grocery store demo; it was a pretty color, but it was not sweet. In fact it was very tart, but perhaps it was because of the particular variety. Wikipedia mentions three varieties of blood oranges.

Incidentally, I harvested my first Satsuma orange from the tree that was planted this spring. It bloomed and had several little oranges, but I thought they had all dropped off. Then recently, only because of the color, I spotted a ripe one near the bottom of the tree. Patty was here and we peeled and ate it on the spot. Delish!

I also have a super hardy Changsha tangerine tree planted from seed four years ago. It comes true from seed and bears fruit in about seven years.

http://www.plantanswers.com/changsha.htm

The seed came from my friend Linda M. She says five degree temps and being covered with ice didn't faze it. It has seeds, but is very sweet.

Here is a link that might be useful: About blood oranges on Wikipedia ...

• shitaki
    13 years ago

I tried calling North Haven Gardens but they don't sell blood orange trees :( and the person speaking said to buy it online but man i hate shipping fees and a lot citrus trees from other states can't even come to TX :(, I was wondering if anyone could send me any kind of blood orange seeds please :)

• trsinc
    13 years ago

Roselee,

I don't know why others want to grow the blood orange but I can tell you that we had them in Norway (imported, of course - probably from Spain or Italy) and they were the best tasting oranges I have ever eaten. Even better than Satsuma, which until then was my favorite.

I'm sure, as you say, it depends on the variety. But, probably the climate in which it is grown, as well.

• fruitof76
    13 years ago

Moro Blood Oranges are for sale at the Lowe's in the Austin area. You might call a Lowe's in DFW and see if they have them or can order them for you.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

fruitof76, that sounds like a good tip. I saw a bunch of citrus trees that had just came in at a near by Lowes, but didn't check to see what varieties they were.

Tammy (trsinc), I knew blood oranges must have something going for them besides the pretty color. Thanks for the report on the good taste.

BTW, I read on one site that they needed heat to develope sweetness. There's plenty of that to be found in Texas :-)

• shitaki
    13 years ago

Fruitof76 ohh I'll try that! Thanks! And did you know the price of the tree? Thanks again

• elliephant
    13 years ago

I know the blood oranges I've eaten down here in the Rio Grande Valley are DELICOUS. My children especially like them as they are less tart than other varieties. If we settle anywhere warm enough, we will definitely plant one some day!

• organic_tx_gardener
    13 years ago

fruitof76 - At which Austin Lowes did you find blood oranges? The Shoal Creek one doesn't have any citrus yet - they said probably not for another week or more.

Would love to grow a blood orange, but in the past have not seen them at local nurseries and citrus trees cannot be imported into Texas. My two-year old really likes to eat blood oranges!

• Bosborne
    13 years ago

I found Moro blood oranges at the Lowes in Bee Cave yesterday, 2/7/2011. There was a new shipment in the entryway (presumably to protect from frost) of mainly Rio Red grapefruit, navel oranges, and few Moros.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I had NO idea you could put citrus in the ground in DFW. Are you talking about container plants? My DH's mom had tangerine,grapefruit,lemons and a kumquat in Simi Valley (zone 10) they tasted amazing fresh from the tree. I'd love some fresh citrus! They smell pretty good in bloom too.

• merrybookwyrm
    13 years ago

In dfw you'll need some scheme to protect most or all citrus from cold snaps. There have been articles recently about raising citrus in Texas in past issues of Texas Gardener magazine. You might look at their website and see if you can get hold of the magazine.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Darn, I was hoping they came out with a cold tolerant tree. I don't see any citrus surviving the last couple weeks! BRRR.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

A friend of mine has Changsha tangerine trees. A few years ago it was five degrees and they were covered with ice, but it didn't faze them in the least.

This quote is from the article linked below:

"'Changsha' has survived 4 degrees F. temperatures near Dallas, Texas."

The fruit is seedy so best eaten outdoors where you can spit the seeds, but are very sweet and tasty; easy to peel too. They come true from seed and produce in seven years. The tree I planted from seeds is about four years old and looking good!

I'm not sure if plant nurseries carry them, but they should, IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Changsha tangerines ...

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

Thanks Roselee that is so sweet.(no pun intended):)

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

roselee, can I buy some seeds from your friend? Apparently this isn't an easy tree to find! I promise to keep it covered from cold for the first 3 years.

• vcrosstx
    13 years ago

My changsha tangerine still looks good even after last week's cold. I thought it was a goner last year, but despite 3 or 4 snows, it didn't even lose a leaf. So, I am hopeful this year it will come through undamaged. So far I've only seen a little leaf curl.

They are seedy but taste good. You can use them as lime substitutes when still green.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Vcrosstx, how interesting that you are growing a Changsha tangerine tree in Dallas! Where did you get your tree? Some others might be interested in acquiring one.

I'll be glad to collect fruit this fall and send seeds to anyone who wants them. Feel free to remind me.

BTW, the seeds germinate best when planted very soon after collecting.

• Anthony Nguyen
    13 years ago

This past weekend at Barton Springs Nursery I saw that they had 8-10 moro blood oranges for ~40 dollars. ~4 gallon pots. They weren't pruned tree style or anything. Rather they looked like bushes so you'd have to train them into trees.

• Gardener972
    13 years ago

I want to know more about that changsha tangerine too!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21