Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Large Basket - Antique, Vintage or New? Value? (photos)

Over on the Decorating Forum, I posted some photos of a very large basket with a wooden handle that I recently purchased at a thrift store. I don't know if the basket is old or new or if it has any significant value. If you know anything about baskets, would you please follow the link below and give me your thoughts and advice? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Basket - Antique, Vintage or New? Value? (photos)

Comments (6)

• sam_md
    12 years ago

The basket looks like it was woven by a skilled weaver. The handle on the other hand looks clumsy, do you think that it replaced the original handle.
    Note: the imported baskets don't fetch the high price like the American-made baskets do.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Fabulous!.....while I can't say for sure, it has lots of characteristics of a turn of the century basket called a "fanny basket" or a buttocks basket....but it's not ribbed.

I don't think there is much doubt that the handle is original....and it appears to be woven of split cane...perhaps indicating that it's Asian.
    Can you tell what the cross pieces are? Looks like cord or string...or is it wire?
    Worth? I wouldn't sell it for less than $100 and might expect to see about $185 on it at a nice shop(pe).
    Great basket!!!
    Linda C

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the help. After much scouring on the internet, most information points toward it being of Chinese origin. Linda, you are right - the cross pieces are cord or string. I think the wooden handle is original. In all of my research, I finally found a few baskets that are very, very similar:

Three Swallows - the first and fifth baskets on left-hand side:
    Three Swallows

Oriental Furniture:
    Oriental Furniture

Carol

• lindac
    12 years ago

that chinese butterfly basket sure looks like a first cousin to me!
    Don't you wonder how that basket came to be at that thrift store?

• calliope
    12 years ago

It's not split cane. I believe it's reed. You can see where it pulls in from the pressure of the twine and it's definitely more three dimensional than cane. I have a pair of Chinese shoes I wear outside in summer made of rice straw with reed soles. Looks just like the material on this basket. It's really nice. Just for grins, can you share with us if you got it really cheap! It would make my day.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

I think its a basket for gathering long stem cut flowers. The stem ends are placed in the bottom of the basket and the flower ends hang over the long outer edges.