Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanneh311

Chest of drawers repair

Joanne
25 days ago

I picked up this chest recently and am now wondering if it’s worth having the damaged leg repaired and the rest of it cleaned up. I love the style and the size works for me. The drawer bottoms are a bit rickety and there are dings and scratches, and it looks like it was previously refinished at some point.

Comments (8)

• HU-723692230
    25 days ago

Depends on your perspective. I collect American antique furniture and to me absolutely its worth repairing. Can't be certain from these 4 pics but it looks like a cherry southern hepplewhite butler's chest, first quarter 19th century. Not uncommon for these to have a broken or repaired foot. Looks like it may have been cut down (feet shortened) looks tad low but again hard to tell from these pics. Nice example. Find a shop or person that repairs 18th-19th century furniture, that would be an easy fix.

Joanne thanked HU-723692230
  • Joanne
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Thanks! I’ve reached out to a local repair shop. Thanks also for the info on the age, etc. I love antiques but I’m not very knowledgable about them.

• Izzy Mn
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

It has good bones. Looks like it has been refinished, maybe not the best job. It appears to be solid wood. Definitely worth getting it repaired. If you want to tackle refinishing yourself there are plenty of how to in YouTube. It takes time but the results can be great. It can be costly have it done. Basically strip, sand, stain and clear finish. I like to use a water based polyurethane for easy clean up. Also the water based polyurethane doesn't yellow like the oil based does.

One example of what you can find on YouTube

https://youtu.be/cNHNDreiUL0?si=xyH2CI3WBm2s7oQV

• Joanne
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Thanks izzy. I’ve refinished a number of furniture pieces over the years. I don’t think I will on this one, just clean it and touch up the nicks and scratches. Sanding is probably not a good idea on an antique, I think the less I mess with it, the better.

• Izzy Mn
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

So true Joanne on not messing with sanding too much or at all. I ended up with a very old banged up chest of wood drawers (27 drawers) that belonged to my grandfather. It was a dentists cabinet we think, he worked in the dental supply business, it's not a library card chest. I tested the finish, it was varnish. I was able to save the original finish by using a process called re-amalgamation (not sure if spelled correctly). I was able to clean it up just enough and not lose the patina. It's very rickety, old and beat up but my favorite thing ever.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    23 days ago

More photos.

• HU-723692230
    14 days ago

Naw definitely 1st quarter 19th century. Don't need to see dovetails, an experienced eye can also tell from the original back boards, rim lock and escutcheon and proportions. Guarantee if we saw more pics of the drawer construction, rear & bottom it would seal the early 1800s age.