Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dipsy_gw

36' range plus wall oven vs. 48' range with dual ovens?

dipsy
16 years ago

I thought I had decided on a 36" Wolf range and a separate wall oven/microwave/warming drawer combo (tbd). But when I went to the showroom again the other day, I kept going back to the 48". I want six burners, I want two ovens. But I also love the idea of a built in griddle since I use mine all the time. I just wonder if the second oven on the 48" range is too small? I'm trying to figure out what, specifically I would use the second oven for to determine if a smaller oven will be ok. Do I need a second full size oven? I love the size of the oven on the 36" range but I'm also loving the 48" cooktop. I would love to hear your feedback on how you decided on one setup over the other. We are doing a kitchen addition so I have plenty of room to work with. I guess a third option would be a 48" cooktop and two separate full size ovens, but I have to say I love the look of the big gleaming range.

Comments (4)

• dipsy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Har. Inches, not feet.....

• pggirl
    16 years ago

Not sure I'll be much help as it really comes down to what you want. Your own cooking style, things you cook etc. Every one that posts, including me, is just going to be an opinion of what works best for them.
    See, we differ on the griddle to start with. Was not important to us and for US it was a space hog. We also found the for OUR cooking the small oven did not have the space that we wanted for the items and quantity we typically cook. Many, many on here are super happy with the small ovens (through searches we did when trying to decide) and sometimes find they use the small oven more than the regular size one. Maybe speed of heating etc. perhaps. No experience there for us.
    We ended up going with a 36 AG with 6 burners. Loads of area for pots and movement. Nice large capacity oven although might take longer than a standard 30 to heat up to temp due to the size. We then put an electric single oven under the counter. Here is the "for us" part again. We went with the 36 and a 30 under counter oven just because of the style of cooking we do, amount and size of items. We went with an AG range and the electric 30 under counter because we felt that perhaps we would have the best of both worlds. Also gave us plenty of overall capacity. We already had gas run to the location and there was also electrical to run an oven as well so made things easy.
    Griddle wise, as I said, not important to us, but if we did want to use one then we felt we could lay our griddle plate on a couple of burners and then remove when we did not need it.
    Anyway, hope that helps a little. Best advise I would give is to go back and relook at the ones you are considering. Get to know them inside and out. Perhaps take some pans just so you can get used to working with them. If they are hooked up in the showroom all the better as you can get a live test. Then comes down to what you like, what works for you and your overall kitchen design.
    Cheers

• rhome410
    16 years ago

There was a great discussion about this in the last couple days on the kitchen forum. I've linked it so you can read the answers to a similar question. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: range vs cooktop and oven thread

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

We had the 36 foot (HAH) AG Wolf in our last house. We loved the unit and space up top but did often run out of burner space. The 36 inch oven was nice and held a lot which was great as long as we were cooking things at the same temp which we rarely ever did. Next, that oven took forever to preheat... 40-45 minutes to 400. Lastly, we think b/c of its huge capacity, it cooked really hot. I think the burners had to run a lot to keep it at temp which over cooked bottoms of breads etc. Great for roasts and some other things but not for breads, cookies, pastries etc. In the end though, we were VERY pleased with the Wolf. We adapted to the hot temps by using additional pans for heat shields and adjusting the temps.

In our current house, we went with a 60 inch AG Blue Star range. It has 2 30 inch ovens, 8 burners and a grill. We also put in a Wolf 30 inch wall oven. The preheat on all 3 ovens to 400 is about 15-20 minutes.

The first cookies and corn bread we did in the gas ovens. They were better than in the 36" Wolf but still cooked pretty hard. Next time I did corn bread, I thought, Oh yeah, I've got the wall oven and used it... a world of difference. Since then we have done biscuits and other items and they come out perfectly. We still find the gas is great for roasts, casseroles, reheating etc.

We may have a bit of over kill, but due to advice from this forum, we specifically diversified to both gas and electric and have been very pleased. So, my recommendation? The 48 inch AG range AND an electric wall oven.

Oh yeah, the grill on the BS is killer. I got talked into it as a last minute decision and thought I would use it occasionally. We have used it a fair amount so fay and it does a killer job on veggies and chicken. We have elected to limit the grill to those items only. Beef and fish are too messy and when we grill those, its always outside (so far). I have found a griddle plate that fits nicely over the grill to convert it to a griddle when needed.