Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliffcla

Can anyone tell me about a 1915 publication?

cliffcla
16 years ago

I have had a book passed down to me from my grandfather. It is a One Hundered and One Best Songs. Published by The Cable Company. Copyright 1915. I was wondering what the circulation was.. Or what the possible value would be?

Cliff

Comments (2)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I have no idea what the circulation might have been, but you can buy one for $4 from the site below.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Song book

• triciae
    16 years ago

Cliff, I've got boxes & more boxes of old music from the 1890's to current. My Dad was a professional so I have his plus my own. Books usually bring considerably less than single sheet music. Famous & popular songs command a higher price. A well known artist will also raise the price. And, sheet music is popular for the cover art...some of which is terrific. Autographs also raise the value. Condition is another factor affecting price. Last, but not least, the copyright date...obviously, a first edition is better than music printed 20 years after release.

A few categories of more collectible sheet music are:

Show tunes from the 1930s & 1940s;
    Americana such as very early copy of 'Turkey in the Straw', 'Stars & Stripes Forever', or black Americana;
    Popular Hits from the war years & also the '60s;
    Old classical sheet music needs to be something special to bring much over $5.

I have an autographed (to my Dad), 1920something, 'Sonny Boy' (Al Jolson) that a collector might pay $25 for & an autographed 'Dancing With Tears In My Eyes' (Rudy Vallee) worth a bit less...? I'd never sell them though 'cause they were Dad's. What I'm trying to say is that none of it is really expensive.

And, now that I've given you more info than you ever wanted...I hope you enjoy & treasure the inheritance from your grandfather. It's value is sentimental but no less precious.

/tricia