Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feesher_gw

Unfinished basement - remove existing ceiling insulation?

feesher
15 years ago

Hi - I am a frequent reader of the forum. Love it!

We recently moved into a 40 year old ranch in Massachusetts. The basement is dry, and we've had some heavy duty rainstorms this autumn to stress test. The basement is half finished/heated and half unfinished for storage.

On the unfinished side, it looks like the previous owner recently installed R19 faced batts in the ceiling (though only half the ceiling - looks like he stopped mid-project).

Here are my concerns - are they real or am I being a spaz?!?

1. Moisture during the summer: we do run a dehumidifier, but the unfinished side still has a higher relative humidity. I am concerned about mold over time.

2. Airborn fiberglass fibers: The existing batts are exposed. I just don't like the idea of those fivers getting loose. I also don't want to drywall or drop-ceiling the ceiling since I do have remodeling plans and want access. Plus the cost.

3. Rim joists are just 40 year old batts: I plan on removing the rim joist batts and filling the bays with XPS/caulk/spray foam to seal tight.

So... I am wondering... Should I remove the ceiling batts and leave uninsulated? I am concerned that the space will get chilly and make for cold floors in the bedrooms above. Should I consider attaching XPS to the ceiling to replace the batts? I would need a fire barrier. Or, should I insulate the walls and drywall and leave the ceiling bare, even though it's an unheated space? Or am I just thinking too hard?

thanks

Comments (6)

• andrelaplume2
    15 years ago

Good Questions. I know the XPS is a fire hazard uncovered. I too am interested in using it in the ceiling. I wonder if drop in ceiling tiles would suffice over it? I guess cost and R value and sound transference are other issues. I hope you (we) get some answers.

I also have unfaced fg in my basement ceiling and recently I started exercising down there. Is that unfaced fg going to be a problem?

• feesher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did look at dow thermax which is rated for exposed basement applications. Maybe I can either use that on the ceiling or simply do he walls in the unfinished side of the basement. The ceiling would use less material but would take forever. My labor is free I guess.

• worthy
    15 years ago

The American Lung Association considers fiberglass safe if "properly installed." Stuffed between floor joists and uncovered is not proper installation. Leave alone, that it offers little insulation value that way.

In a cold climate--and that's all I'm used to--I've never insulated the floor of unfinished basements and never noticed any discomfort as long as the basement is sealed half-decently.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Lung Association

• feesher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok - I'm sold. The old fiberglass is coming out tonight. I have a hepa vacuum and wil vac like afterwards. I plan on using rigid boards and caulk at the rim joists and will just have to see if really good air sealing is enough stand alone.

• andrelaplume2
    15 years ago

well hell...we have lived here 2 years with the exposed fg. We are not down there a lot but do go down for ping pong and pool. I recently started using the tread mill down there too....guess I should wear a mask on the tread mill until I get my basement finished over the next 6 months..?

• feesher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just an update... I am finished with removing all of the original fiberglass batts - what was pinned to the ceiling and also the really old stuff from the rim joists. The old stuff at the rim joists was nasty, and I am glad it is out. I can now see light thru the cracks between the framing and the top of the foundation. I'll be hitting that with "great stuff" soon.

To recap - this was a smaller unfinished basement area.

I have a hepa vac. I plan on vacuuming the area daily for a few days, in case anything airborne starts to settle. It was quite dusty, plus fibers.