Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

Advice needed - sale of danish modern dining set

liz_h
15 years ago

The set consists of a drop-leaf extension table, 1 armchair and 5 side chairs. One of the chairs is broken, but DH can repair. The top will be re-worked a bit, removing the last of the finish with a finishing pad and denatured alcohol, then rubbing a tung-oil finish.

The first picture shows the table with the center leaf. The 2nd has the table pulled open to show the room for 2 more leaves (which I don't have). The table is quite compact with the end leaves down.

I'd appreciate anything you could tell me about this set. There is no label or marking to indicate manufacturer. From the construction, I assume that it is US or Canadian made, not Scandinavian. The very last pic shows the bottom of an identical chair, just to show you the construction.

I'm not sure whether to just list this on CL as is, or to go ahead and fix it up - which would be about 2 days worth of work for DH, mainly regluing the chairs. Have considered selling on eBay, but don't really want to fool with shipping. There is also a local store which sells mid-century modern that would be interested.

Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

Are you familier with Craigs List? The listings are free and involves a type of local listing so people actually come to see the items and haul them off them selves. IMO, ebay is a difficult venue for furniture. Also, their insistance that you accept their paypal is another fly in the ointment.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

I just sold a Danish modern set on CL. Yours appears to be in better shape then mine, though: particularly the upholstery looks better. I touched up cosmetic things like scratches but didnÂt want to bother with things that were too difficult.

You might not get back the value of the time spent on repairing it. If it really would take 2 days, what else could you do that you would value more? I would list it as it is first, with the price you hope to get for it. In your listing show any flaws in the pictures and describe any issues like the wobbly chairs. I would think most pieces on CL have SOME issues. No one expects a set to be showroom condition. Did you do a search on CL for similar sets to see what they are offered for?

State the really good points of the set, and take good photos, so people can decide if those outweigh the problems. Yours has really nice lines, for example.

• liz_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

TXred and linnea - thank you both. I guess I'll give CL a try. There's not a lot of danish modern listed here, though there is some. One person had a set of similar dining chairs. I asked him if he got many inquiries. He had a couple, but ended up selling on eBay.

• pkguy
    15 years ago

If you put it on Craigslist for your city also put it in a listing for the next closest city or two because there just might be a buyer further out who will definitely want it and make the drive.

• liz_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks pk. I hadn't thought of that.

• glenda66
    15 years ago

I'm new to this forum, but see I'm a dealer and reading these stories of difficulty selling furniture is quite the opposite of my problem. I'm having trouble finding furniture to buy (for resale). It's not price I mean the availability is very slim down where I am. So we are traveling now to pick up what we can find. In fact he is on his way home from picking up furniture we bought on ebay 8-10 hours from where we live. If you post on ebay for local pickup only , no shipping, you can avoid that hassle. And people will look who are willing to travel to pick up. We're certainly doing it.

• baerbaer
    15 years ago

Hi!

If you are anywhere near NYC/NJ there is a gallery (Rose Hill Auction Gallery) in Englewood, NJ. They do a great Mid-Century/Modern auction a couple of times a year. People wait ANXIOUSLY for their sales and they post their auctions on line for a greater reach of buyers. They are actually having their next one on 2 March.

B

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Hill

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

baerbaer, you just gave me a new outlet...I registered there (have been putting it off) and that auction looks very promising. 21% buyers premium added on TOP of auction price? Is that normal? I'm not an auction-goer (yet) so I don't know what is a common premium--for some reason I had 10% in my head.

And to the OP: IME, craigslist prices won't reward your repairs to the extent you would like. Maybe find out how much the vintage store would offer, and then see if you can sell it for more on c's list. If not, then go back to the store and give it to them. That's one plan...