Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kammererk_gw

Mirror Re-Silvering or Repair

kammererk
12 years ago

Hello,

I have an old mirror with art-deco etching that I'd like to use in my new powder room. It came from an old medicine cabinet, so the entire back is exposed. There is a portion of the silvering missing (1/2" by 2"). Does anyone know of any companies who still resilver mirrors? If so, is it expensive? Has anyone tried a resilvering kit to make repairs diy?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Comments (4)

• Richard Dollard
    12 years ago

Krylon makes a spray paint for mirrors. Maybe you could try that. Not sure how it works but would save money.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror spray paint

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

Years ago I had the mirror of an antique dresser re-silvered. I just took it to a glass shop, and at the time it was not expensive. It held up perfectly. Is the etching on the front of the glass?

• kammererk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jandj - thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't seen that. I may try that if nothing else works

joyce - the etching is on the back

From ArtDecoBathroom

I'll call a few glass shops and see what I can find out. Thanks for the suggestion.
    H

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror

• jasfind
    12 years ago

A cheap way is to scrape off all the silver. Then CAREFULLY put on self stick mylar silver . It isn't as clear ,but it gives a antique look(alas to your face also)
    john