Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gone2seeds

Help. Bosch. The good, the bad, the ugly

gone2seeds
15 years ago

I need a little help here, we are in dire need of replacing our dishwasher. Looking at a bosch, most likely evolution 500. Yes, I know of miele, have used one, love it, but just out of our price range.

I would like to replace my range as well because as much as I try, I just can't seem to find the love for electric. I'm looking at the bosch evolution 700 serries. I like the stainless steel cook top and the continuous matte grates, among other things.

O.K. the help comes from does any one own either of these? What do you like or hate for that matter? Were you looking at these and opted for something else and if so why? Is there something else that you could recommend with similar features and similar price range?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts!

Comments (12)

• clubcracker
    15 years ago

I have the Integra slide in dual fuel range in white / ss and like it. I posted a pic in the Gas slide in under $2K thread just down the page. I like the look of the evolution but since having my first slide in in my last house, I can no longer fathom reaching across hot cook spaces to reach controls.

I am thinking of buying a Bosch DW when our current GE Profile stops working so will be watching this thread with interest.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

We bought a top of the line Bosch DW about 3 years ago. Best DW we ever owned. Works extremely well and is whisper quiet. Less than 2 years ago we got a Bosch gas range -- free standing -- one notch below the top of the line. We're very pleased with it. Our first gas range after many years with electric. We're very glad we switched, and we're pleased with the one we picked. However, I would recommend getting the top of the line, because that one has a higher BTU on its hottest burner, a desirable feature if you can afford it. The grates all across the top is very convenient when you're juggling several pots/pans simultaneously. Also the range is easy to keep clean, with its sealed burners.

If it's important to you, although Bosch is a German company, these products are manufactured in the US, in North Carolina.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

We have the 500 Series Integra...So I'm assuming it might be the same dishwasher with a different door? Anyway, we have 2 of them and are quite happy. The rack clips could be better, but it's not enough that we regret the choice. They do a good cleaning job (love the "AutoWash" cycle that helps save water, energy, and time), and are very quiet. Like you, it sounds, I considered Miele, but these were a few hundred cheaper than the lower end Miele that I wanted (lowest price model that had integrated panel front and cutlery rack),and since I needed 2, that was significant. We'd had a Bosch before that we loved and never had a problem with, so knew we'd likely be satisfied with Bosch again.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I have 2 Thermador DWs (Bosch with one more or less cycle and a different name plate). Like rhome, I couldn't justify Miele times 2, and I also thought the Bosch/Thermador would load our dishes better. Very happy with them. No experience on the range.

• muddypond
    15 years ago

We have Bosch dishwasher disguised as a Kenmore. We love it. As I recall, it was a little cheaper than the cheapest Bosch, but had an extra feature to differentiate it (delayed start).

Other than the Kenmore name, it is indistinguishable from the Bosch branded dishwashers. It was simply a better deal.

• lenvt
    15 years ago

We also have the Bosch/Kenmore. We love it. Amazingly quiet, does a wonderful job with the dishes. The Kenmore clone had a blend of features from the Bosch line for less. For example in the Kenmore model the top rack can be raised or lowered, so if you want to put a tall item in either top or bottom rack, you can adjust the rack to accommodate it. Heck, I wash smaller pots in the top rack all the time. It's that good. The Kenmore also has the feature which lets you wash only the top rack.

One "ugly." The tines in the Kenmore racks do not quite seem tall enough to hold some kinds of bowls (both very round bowls and very wide "pasta" coup style bowls from France. I guess those Germans like their bowls squarish or something). They tip over and fall into each other because they don't seat in far enough. This can limit the amount of dishes I can fit in the dishwasher. I don't know if the Bosch rack in the full on Bosch machine are different, but worth checking out. The machine comes with an insane map of how to fit a crazy amount of dishes inside which, I confess, I haven't spent much time fiddling with.

We've had ours for two years. Or neighbor has had the Bosch badged bottom of the line for five, both run quiet as can be without a single issue.

Good luck!
    Lenvt

• richpoor
    15 years ago

Just today I went to buy our future Bosch Integra dishwasher, one we've planned on for months, and designed into new kitchen cabinets. I idly pulled one open at the appliance store while waiting for something, and this one had an actual dish in it....wow, it looked small inside!

They explained that the European models are a little less deep, and the racks themselves aren't as deep either. I'm not sure it'll easily fit two rows of 10" dishes and all the other crap I usually pack into the gaps inbetween. But then, now I'm not sure an "American" dishwasher will fit in the cabinet space, since the cabs are designed around the Bosch!

I don't know WHAT to do! One meal completely packs our temporary plain old Whirlpool dishwasher! Any advice?!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

We've had a Maytag, a GE, and Frigidaire DWs. The only one that came close to holding as much as our Bosches was the GE. The Maytag gets the prize as the worst. Rack loading efficiency is what counts and I really never noticed the Bosch DWs seeming any smaller inside. They're only a fraction of an inch narrower on the exterior.

• muddypond
    15 years ago

But then, now I'm not sure an "American" dishwasher will fit in the cabinet space, since the cabs are designed around the Bosch!

A Bosch/Kenmore fits into the same 24" cabinet as any standard American dishwasher. AFAIK, the Bosch branded DWs sold in the US do too. I pulled out a standard GE and installed our Bosch/Kenmore. It was a direct replacement.

Any dishwasher that required custom cabinetry would be essentially unsellable to the mass market in the US. How were your cabinets designed around the Bosch?

• User
    15 years ago

some designer allow only 60 cm instead of 24" for Bosch DW. It is a rarity but there are those that do it . Assuming you have a European brand of cabinetry which warranted the 60cm design to begin with, you'll most likely be unhappy with a 24"American unit anyway.

• richpoor
    15 years ago

Whew. I should have had more faith in my kitchen designer; she says she always designs a space for an American-sized dishwasher. The European models (Bosch, Asko) are a little shorter and a little less wide. (Don't know about the American versions of the European, like Kenmore's version of the Bosch.)

Now, why do they all have the same cheap tiny pieces of plastic for the soap tray?! The Bosch has an eensy little blue latch that when you push it, the lid springs back onto your finger, and it's sharp. Others have a lid that hinge down, but it's easy for stray granules of dry detergent to prevent you from closing it. The soap trays all suck, on $200 and $1600 dishwashers!

• fandlil
    15 years ago

Our Bosch dishwasher did not pose any installation problems -- it fit right in where our old Maytag used to be. But our Bosch freestanding gas range is exactly 30 inches wide. That was a big problem, because most ranges designed for a 30 inch opening are actually 29 15/16 inches wide to allow a little wiggle room. Because the Bosch was exactly 30 inches wide, it would not fit into our 30 inch opening, and we had to have our Corian countertop fabricator come to the house and cut off a fraction of an inch of our countertop so the range would fit. That cost us an extra $200+. Not nice. So check and recheck your measurements.