Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Husky Red, Gold, and Pink

corrie22
15 years ago

Husky Cherry Red is something that I grow every year. It's a very good producer, easy, upright, doesn't take a lot of room, and the neighbors love them. ;-)

I didn't realize there was a series of Husky plants - Red, Pink, and Gold.

I searched the forum and could not find any thing about them either.

Has anyone grown or heard of these guys?

Are they compact like the cherry red?

Easy to grow in a pot?

Flavor?

I'm thinking I should give them a try. If I plant seed now, I can have them out in March. If they are as early as the Husky Cherry, they will beat the summer heat.

Thanks guys

Corrie

Comments (12)

• mule
    15 years ago

I dont specifically recall "pink" but I do know of the others.

They are good for short season or short on space gardens. Otherwise I found them to be dry in texture and somewhat bland compared to many others.

The could be grown in containers (we did in the greenhouse). They tend to be shorter, squat plants with thick leaves.

They were "en vogue" about 15 years ago but fell out of favor I suspect because of their flavor.

Unless you had a short season i wouldnt specifically recommend them. I do believe they were bred for PNW conditions by Dr Badgett at OSU.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Keith, thank you
    That's exactly the kind of information I needed to make a decision.

I'm still hunting for the elusive Florida Keys tomato. ;-)

Actually, right now I would just settle for one that's easy to grow, produces good, good taste..

...and likes my 15-20 gal pots in the winter down here.

thank you again for all of that information
    Corrie

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

The Husky series was bred by Petoseed and I remember quite a few years ago talking with their PR director Jim Waltrip, now retired, and he said that they didn't go over well with the public b'c folks weren't use to the deep green rugose foliage.

But it may also be as Keith said, that the taste wasn't that good either.

Here's the blurbs for the three you mentioned Corrie, as found in the NCSU Cultivar list:

Husky Gold (PSX 70087) - Breeder and vendor: Petoseed. Characteristics: bedding plant and home garden, golden fruited, rugose foliage, sturdy indeterminate dwarf. Resistance: verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt race 1. 1990.

Husky Pink (PSR 113588) - Breeder and vendor: Petoseed. Characteristics: indeterminate dwarf, pink fruit, dark green rugose foliage. Resistance: verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt race 1, alternaria stem canker. 1990.

Husky Red (PSX 40084) - Breeder and vendor: Petoseed. Characteristics: rugose foliage, sturdy indeterminate dwarf, red fruited. Resistance: verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt race 1, alternaria stem canker. 1990.

Carolyn

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn, thank you a million for looking all that up for me.

When no one answered my post in a couple of days, I got to thinking "these guys must be real spitters", so bad that no one even wants to admit that they grew them! LOL

So back to my hunt for the Florida Keys tomato.
    Cool damp weather - highs in the upper 70's to low 80's
    Lows in the upper 60's to low 70's
    Low sun and short days - in the winter
    and likes 15-20 gal pots

Corrie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Corrie,
    My father who lives in Key Largo had a few tomatoes growing last Feb. when I went to visit. They were in pots of course being the ground is solid coral as you know. Though he did actually drill out a large hole for the Key Lime tree my brother bought with his prize money for being the key lime pie eating champ, but that's a whole nother story, lol. The tomato Lemon Boy was ripe and tasted really good. He had a cherry that was doing really well. I don't remember that name of the cherry! My father doesn't do much at all besides water so things that do well for him would be helpful for you to know. I'm going again in Feb. If his plants are still going, or if he has something else doing well, I'll come back and post for you.
    Remy

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remy, thanks!
    Lemon Boy seems to be almost bullet proof for us down here. Wonder why that is? I've been planting it for years too.

Tell your Dad to keep an eye on that Key Lime. They are whitefly magnets and mine is my main problem with my tomatoes. I would take it out but it's over 30 years old now.

Ask your Dad if he's ever been over to Lignumvitae to the old Matheson plantation? and did he see the key limes on the island? You have to look up, they are like big shade trees.

Please say hi to your Dad, check with him, and please let me know!

Thank you
    Corrie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Corrie,
    I don't think he's seen the big key lime trees, because he would think that is really neat and tell me about it. I'll have to ask him.
    His key lime has not had white fly, but he had quite the scale problem. A few years ago when I showed up the plant was all sooty. I went down to visit Plantation Key Nursery as I always do and asked about it while there. The owner recommended scrubbing as much of the soot off as possible and then keep up on a horticultural oil program. So I spent a good part of a day scrubbing that dang thing! My dad kept up on spraying it and it is better now.
    You do have your growing challenges down there. I know he has had past trouble with tomatoes and said going to Homestead to buy them was much less of a hassle. My father has tried multiple times to keep lemon balm going and it croaks which cracks me up being it is a weed. But of course certain things grow great like lemon grass, and when I saw his gorgeous rosemary, I was so jealous. It always looks so pathetic when I attempt to grow it.
    Remy

• pennyrile
    15 years ago

Corrie,

Husky Red and Husky Red Cherry is still really popular up here as a transplant item in the spring. Must be mostly for patio gardeners here. Anyway, there's two nurseries that sell a boatload of them every year. I think the plants are beautiful, but have never grown them out or tasted the fruit.

I'd really like to see you try Indian Stripe tomato in a 10-gallon container and report back on that one. It yielded very well in a 10-gallon tub for me.

Also, have you found any Neptune tomato seed yet? I'd like to get my hands on that to take to BWI this February to an island we visit that is 100% coral soil with other challenging conditions. See if you can locate Neptune seeds.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Corrie,
    I finally caught up with my dad tonight.
    I told him how we were talking about the big Key Lime trees on Lignumvitae. He said no, but he's seen really big ones. He know where one huge one is in Key Largo. The others must be farther down. We also talked about containers and raised bed gardens. He also told me about a guy that has an amazing garden in Islamorada who has built huge planters. I'll have to check it out when I'm down there.
    Oh, He told me his tomato plants are looking good with lots of green fruit, a few getting ripe. He of course can't remember what he's got out there, lol.
    Remy

• llppwhite_aol_com
    15 years ago

Try "Heartland" to compare against the Husky series. It has a very similar growth habit, and I believe it is more flavorful. Also, Parks "Better Bush" is similar and better-tasting.
    -WC2008

• qterqueen_att_net
    15 years ago

In the late 80's in South Shore Kentucky a man bought seeds from Hardins Greenhouse on Route 23, he also sold seeds, he sold Better Boy and Big Girl Tomato seeds, to the Hardins, how do I find out now who this Seed Salesperson is? Any ideas on what Vendor would have had people in the South Shore Kentucky area? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. e-mail qterqueen@att.net

Thank you. Victoria

• carolync1
    13 years ago

When the "Husky" series was released, I recall that "Husky Cherry Red" and "Husky Gold" were considered to have better flavor than "Husky Red". I don't remember much comment on the "Husky Pink", but I saw some offered for sale last year. I haven't seen Husky Gold offered in several years, although it used to be the one I saw for sale most frequently. Maybe people didn't know what to think of a gold tomato back then. This year, Walmart has Husky Red. Husky Cherry Red is carried by Bonnie Plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Husky Gold