Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yborgal

LindaC---Grindley 'Willow' Hotel Ware?

yborgal
18 years ago

We talked about these pieces some time back, but here I am again. I have quite a few of these and don't know if they're collectible or not. Can you help?

{{gwi:1388149}}

I believe they are custard dishes. I know they date back at least to the late 40's and maybe earlier.

Comments (16)

• lindac
    18 years ago

What makes you think they are "hotel ware?"....What's the back stamp....
    They are wonderful!!!!! They would be vegetable dishes....or side dishes....used for cole slaw....peas mashed potatoes on the blue plate special....
    Linda C

• yborgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1388151}}
    These have a #1 and a #3 stamped on the back. Others have no numbers.

I have others that are stamped "Stanley, Globe Pottery, Shelton, Great Britain, Hotel Ware". I can't find out anything about them. They belonged to my grandmaother and I recall seeing them in the late 40's but they could be older.
    Is this transferware? On some the blue seems to be blurred so would that make it flow blue?

• lindac
    18 years ago

What I know......there is more out there to be discovered....but this is what I know.
    WH grindly was an English pottery maker who made both pottery and ironstone ware ( ironstone is vitrious...fired at a temp so high that the clay fuses together and that makes it very hard and tough).
    The willow pattern originated in China with export porcelain ( used as ballast in ships because it was cheap and had some value once it arrived)...it was much admired and copied by many makers. It is a transfer ware pattern....that is not hand painted but applied using sort of a "decal".
    WH Grindley was one of the Staffordshire potters....out of Tunstall England...using the WH Grindley and the Staffordshire knot in the early years....between roughly 1840 and mid 1880's. The "Grindley" mark was after that.
    Many potterys made a heavier version of their stoneware for hotel use.....it wore like iron and is much collected today.
    Now for what I am guessing....
    Your piece was from about 1920 ( guessing that because it says just "England" not Made in England) and not made for a specific hotel ( many hotels had their signature pattern and the name of the hotel on the bottom)....it's not quite the traditional Willow" pattern....the bridge and the 2 ladies are missing....
    Very nice.....very collectable....and sorry I don't have a value for you.
    Do you know the story behind Willow" pattern? Very sweet.
    Linda C

• lindac
    18 years ago

Info on this pottery....
    What pattern do you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: globe pottery

• yborgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1388153}}
    {{gwi:1388155}}
    It's a pattern similar to Blue Willow. The shapes are identical in size to the Grindley dishes.
    Thank you for taking the time to try to help me.

• mirren
    18 years ago

Monablair - those Globe dishes are the blue willow pattern. They are not "similar". The pattern was produced by hundreds of companies from 1790 to the present.

• narissa_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I have a piece of Grimdly Hotel Ware. Made in England for the Goodrich Steamship Line. It looks to be a Baked potato dish. It has green markings. Can you tell me anything about it

• Richard Dollard
    3 years ago

I'm looking for some pieces if anyone still has this. I bought a service for 4 in a thrift shop for almost nothing and would like to add some more pieces.

• linda campbell
    3 years ago

some pieces of what? Blue willow? Hotelware? Oval sauce dishes?

• Richard Dollard
    3 years ago

Grindley willow hotelware.

• Richard Dollard
    3 years ago

lindac92, I have been watching the low soup bowls but not sure if I use them. The pieces I purchased came with a rimless soup bowl or it could be a salad dish, I am not sure what to call it but I would like to find more of them. I can use dinner and dessert plates. I grew up with blue willow and when I moved out on my own I thought it was dated but as I got older I have appreciated it more. It's timeless and classic!

• lindac92
    3 years ago

I have low soup bowls like are on ebay...but in white Haviland ranson, I use them for salad and sometimes for pasta......and occasionally soup or stew.
    There is lots of blue willow out there that is not hotel ware. If i were you i would go to thrift stores and find pieces in shapes I can use, even if they were made in Japan....and keep looking for the Grindly Hotel ware.
    And "dated" is only for things that were trendy 20 years ago....good design is always good.

• Richard Dollard
    3 years ago

Lindac92, I was born in 1963 and grew up in the 70's and at one time I used think the 70's stuff was dated but in the last several years have found some fun stoneware dishes at the thrift stores that I now use. Funny how your tastes change over time.

• Richard Dollard
    3 years ago

Lindac92, Thanks for the push, I bought the low rimmed soup bowls! LOL

• lindac92
    3 years ago

You won't be sorry....very rarely sorry for thing I bought but lots of "sorry" for things I passed up.