Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belle_phoebe

Help me understand/pick out shower fixtures

belle_phoebe
14 years ago

We are creating a new master bath from scratch--converting an old second floor kitchen off our master. Our "new" house is 165 years old, and the smaller bathrooms are stacked at the back of the house, where they were added when indoor plumbing was invented. This is part of a whole-house (6500 sq. ft) renovation--including gutting a kitchen, remodeling two other baths, 3 new HVAC systems, etc--I have a lot on my mind! While I have most of the master bath fixtures and tile picked out, I am stumped by the shower. I've ordered a 42x60 solid surface shower pan from Onyx, and will be building a bench seat at the end of it, with a glass enclosure. Walls will be tiled. My husband wants ceiling-mounted rain showerhead, and I want a separately controlled hand-held shower on a sliding bar. In addition, I'd like two or three shower jets in the wall. I see lots of "systems", but am not sure what all we need to buy, and none of the sites seem to provide information on how components work together. Do we need thermostatic valves? (What is a thermostatic valve?) My step-father, who has done lots of plumbing, will be working on this project for us, but he hasn't ever put jets in. I am a seasoned renovator, but for some reason, the fancy shower stuff is intimidating. I want to order the right parts so that he has everything he needs for install. Please help! All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• studio460
    14 years ago

Multi-headed showers are technically complicated. I'm no plumber, but from what I've read, depending on the number of heads, you'll need to have oversized supplies to the valve, possibly up to 1" (shower supplies are typically only 1/2"). You may need multiple valves, diverters, etc., too. There are also oversized drainage considerations. You need someone experienced specifically in installing multi-headed shower systems, who really knows what they're doing. When I discovered how complicated this was, I went back to my single-headed design.

Multi-headed showers aside, yes, a "thermostatic" valve is the one you want. It's better than a merely "pressure-balanced" valve. A thermostatic valve maintains a specific temperature, that you control, and stays set there. I ordered one for my master bath--it has two handles: one for volume, and one for temperature. Don't know how they work or anything; I just know that's the kind of valve you want (at least, I know that, for a single-headed shower).

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Do a google search on "design a shower system" and words like that. I was really intimidated when we started designing our system, too! I found two or three sites that had great little descriptions and even "wizards" that helped you pick all the right components.

Basically you will need one valve that controls the water temperature (that can be a thermostatic or pressure balanced. if you're doing a luxurious shower definitely get thermostatic!) and then you will want a volume control valve (on/off/how much water comes out) for each of the seperate things you have: showerhead, hadnshower, jets.

With that configuration you could theoretically have all three on at once, and as studio460 noted, you better be sure you have enough water pressure and volume to handle that, and likely oversized supply lines as well. Another way to handle it is to decide what's likely to be on at the same time. For instance, if you thought you'd have the showerhead on and EITHER the jets or the handshower, you could have a volume control for the shower, and a volume control for the other two, plus a diverter to choose between those two.

Keep in mind that MOST companies sell the valves and the "trim" (the actual handle you see) seperately. So for instance you will need the $250+ valve PLUS the ~$175 trim for EACH combination. It can add up really, really fast!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Here's a basic overview. There's more out there but here's a start:

Here is a link that might be useful: How to design a shower system