Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryjo1975

Does anyone know what this can is?

maryjo1975
11 years ago

Hello. I bought this...whatever it is....at an estate sale a few days ago. I have been searching and searching the internet trying to find out what it is to no avail.

I thought it was a water pitcher or coffee pot or tea pot. I cant find anything like it. I was told it was an oil lamp refiller. Still cant find anything like it.

I will post the other picture I have of the marking that is underneath it. I think it is by the Benedict Manufacturing Company but cant find anything posted on the internet that was made by them that looks anything like this either.

Does anyone have any clue??

Comments (10)

• maryjo1975
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the marking under the can.

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's a cocktail shaker missing the top cover and the cover for the spout.

Here is a link that might be useful: shaker

• maryjo1975
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!! Thats very cool! After doing a little more searching it seems its from the 1920's or so. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I wonder if it is made of Brittania Metal?
    Casey

• lindac
    11 years ago

Very VERY unlikely...Gin picks up lead from britannia...
    Most likely silver plate.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

There's not 'sposta be lead in Brittania.
    Casey

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

I just bought a copper one and was told its a lamp oil filler,in old times you fill up lamps as they run out of oil,.

• justlinda
    11 years ago

Found this tidbit of info....notice it says that they produced cocktail shakers. So my guess is that this is probably what the above item is. IMHO.

"Benedict Proctor was a producer of silver plated tea and coffee services and other silver plated gift and table wares. They probably decided to increase sales by offering their copper items with a clear lacquered finish instead of silver plated. Most have rather crudely cast silver-coloured metal mounts (Britannia Metal?). They made a range of items including tea and coffee pots, cocktail shakers, various bread/cake baskets and trays, bon-bons, etc."

• lindac
    11 years ago

An oil lamp filler is very different from a cocktail shaker....it has a very small spout.
    Not supposed to be lead in Britannia....but there were no standards. Besides this shaker greatly post dates the Britannia period.

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

No identical to this only copper.