Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ang24_gw

Lots of questions, hoping y'all can help

Ang24
11 years ago

So me and my fiance are building a house, and I have no idea what I need to be looking for. I've looked at tons and tons of floor plans and can't really find what I'm looking for since I have a picture of the floor plan I want in my head, so I actually had the "smart" idea to draw it out myself, well while I can understand what I'm trying to convey my fiance says he can't understand it, he needs it to be more detailed.

1. I've seen some awesome renderings on this site so my first question is what software are y'all using to draw them? If it's free, that's even better.

We do have an architect who is going to be drawing the final plans, but he's a friend of my uncles and he's doing it on his personal time and for free so his words to us were to have it exactly like we wanted with everything all together for when he drew it, which is fine with me.

2. That brings me to my 2nd question, what all do I need to have for him? I'm going to include pictures with the plan I have "drawn" out of what I'm talking about in my plan, along with where I want vents and outlets, and what type of exterior I want, is there any details you can tell me that you had to let your architect know about when he was designing your plans?

3. 3rd question, when do I need to pick out my light fixtures, flooring, paint, cabinets, countertops, doors, etc.?

If there's anything else you can help me with I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sorry if the pictures aren't very clear or very big, I'm still new to this site and trying to figure things out.

This post was edited by Ang24 on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 13:48

Comments (9)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Your picture size isn't bad, but you really need to darken up your lines. As I discovered, when using pencil, it just doesn't photograph/scan well enough to show on this site. So, take a black ink pen or marker and darken things up. PLUS, this will help you realize that walls have a thickness dimension too--they take up actual space.

Graph paper works fine, really. If you really need software, there are some expensive programs out there. Others use paint, some use excel (somehow), some use the kitchen design software from Ikea, and Sketchup (a google product) is also popular.

• amtrucker22
    11 years ago

My only thought is on his comment about having everything you want ready to draw. I leaned on my architect to solve problems I couldn't figure. He has done this for a long time and has the skill set to take what I say, make adjustments and put it on paper. So although you might seem like you are getting good deal, I hope your design doesn't suffer because you going for free at the beginning.

That being said, you may know exactly what you want and be able to get it right with out the experience of the architect. Please don't take this the wrong way, it is just I know would of not come close to being able to design the house that our architect was able to create for us.

Good luck with your build!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Find an architect or a designer you can work with.

There is more to house design than just room sizes and arrangement.

You have to account for mechanical (HVAC) and DWV.

Water supply and electric are usually small enough to be run without major impact (they fit in a 2x4 wall).

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

There are so many threads and so many good answers to this situation here in this forum. You really should search and read. You'll find all the information that you need.

Good luck with your project.

• User
    11 years ago

As has already been suggested, the most difficult part of designing a house is the part your uncle's friend isn't willing to help you with.

Where is the project located?

• User
    11 years ago

SketchUp was introduced in 2000 by @ Last Software of Boulder, CO. It was sold to Google in 2006 and then sold to Trimble Navigation in 2012.

Here is a link that might be useful: SketchUp downloads

• Ang24
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renovator8 - Thank you for that link, I'm going to try it out. The house will be located in the Triad, NC.

Also, he is a really good person, he's going to help us, but it will be like I said on his personal time, so we're going to try to get as much done at one meeting as can, because me and my fiance are trying not to take up too much of his personal time. When he told us to have everything like we want it, he meant that way after he drew it, maybe we wouldn't be inclined to change it 3 or 4 more times, because we really spent time pouring over things picking them out. That's the reason I was asking what did you provide for your architect at your meetings so I can try to get a lot of this taken care of in the first meeting.

I've also been reading and reading on this site all the links that I can find in the building a house section that may help us. The only thing I really can't find is detailed break-down of when to start picking things out, i.e lights, flooring, etc., I was hoping somebody could give me some of their timelines when they picked things out.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

The best time to pick finishes, fixtures, equipment, etc., is when the design is complete (and owner-approved) and before construction drawings and specifications are finished. Get as much of this as you can into the construction drawings and specifications so that the bidding and construction cost will include them, and minimize allowances, omissions and errors.

Good luck on your project.

• User
    11 years ago

The Preliminary Design phase comes first and involves basic design concepts, ideas, layout and form. When that is done the Design Development phase begins. That's when you would choose materials but not necessarily colors. Then the Construction Documents phase begins. Then the drawings are put out for bid with many contractors or negotiated with one. Many color choices and final decisions occur during construction if they don't affect the contract price.

Now is the time to be making a list of rooms, their functions and relationships and finding things you like in magazines (be sure to note what it is you like about the photos).

Your early sketches should look more like diagrams rather than floor plans and should note relationships especially with the outdoors.