Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanniemer

Layout Help- Master Bath

JeannieMer
12 years ago

Here what we think might be the best layout for our 12.5 x 14.5 master bathroom [with a 2 x 5 bumpout]. The doorway to the bedroom must remain, but other than that there are no restrictions. Windows can move, as can fixtures.

We prefer 2 closets, 2 sinks and a large shower - no tub necessary. We don't have a linen closet today, so adding one is not required, but would be an improvement. As would a real vanity/makeup area, as the shared sinks are only 5' wide.

Thanks for any suggestions, or even comments indicating where we might be making a mistake. Will consider all thoughts! Thanks.

Comments (6)

• southerngalinnyc
    12 years ago

Hi Jeannie,
    Could you provide a little more info on the current measurements... tough to back into from your drawing and it would make it easier to make some suggestions.
    What if any limitations do you have with regarding to plumbing line placements, etc?

• JeannieMer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

UPDATE:

The exterior measurements are as follows: 12.5 x 14.5 [with a 2 x 6 bumpout]. I have added the interior measurements as well for each wall in the below drawing.

The closets seem on the small side, but we are upgrading from having a 5' x 2' reach in closet space so these will seem HUGE to us. Our current master bath is 5' x 7' -- so small that DH uses the hall bath instead. The house is 1600 sq ft now, and will be 2200 sq ft [on two main floors] after the addition.

And, the master bath is all new contruction, and there are no plumbing restrictions at all, no window placement restrictions at all either. The exterior measurements cannot change; the master bedroom door location cannot change.

What I like about this plan - 2 sinks, large shower, no view into bath/windows from the bedroom, separate closets, separate toilet room. I am ok with a toilet/shower combo room, and could be persuaded to make due with a shared closet space. This plan seems to include some wasted space in the hallway and the toilet room. A better use of space is what would be best.

Thanks for helping!

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

I'm bumping this so I can think a little more and try and post later. You are right that there is wasted space, particularly with the hall. Ideally, you want a hallway to be space that is needed anyway for clearances, like in front of a sink or shower. But if you don't like to see bathroom fixtures from the bedroom, then that limits the options. Are you willing to walk through the bathroom to get to the closets? Or through the closets (instead of just a hallway) to get to the bathroom?

• JeannieMer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good questions.

1. Would you be OK with seeing bathroom fixtures from the bedroom if necessary? YES

2. Are you willing to walk through the bathroom to get to the closets? YES

3. Or walk through the closets (instead of just a hallway) to get to the bathroom? YES

Suggestions still needed Thanks!

• suero
    12 years ago

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Here's a few rough ideas to try on for size and comfort: