Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bean_counter_z4

Practical help with old dresser drawers

bean_counter_z4
17 years ago

I have an old mission style 3 drawer dresser that is difficult to use because the drawers do not pull out evenly. (Drawers 40+ inches) What I mean is you have to keep adjusting from side to side as you pull or push. They are sticking or hanging up as they slide forward or back. Is there a way to fix this without extensive carpentry?

Comments (6)

• ginam_oh
    17 years ago

What worked for my grandma seems to work well for me as well. Drawers without roller units get a nice swipe with a candle. Just take a cold taper candle and rub the side gently down both the drawer and the frame. The wax helps things glide much more smoothly. I believe there are also silicon-based products on the market designed to produce the same effect...

• wflather
    17 years ago

Waxing the slides is a good solution, you will have to repeat it periodically. I have fixed wooden drawer slides (if the wood slides or drawer sides are in good enough shape) by using a pvc strip to create a semi-permanent sliding surface. A good source is "V-flex" type window and door weatherization gasket strips. These are flat pvc strips that are sold to weatherize doors and windows. One half of the strip has an aggressive adhesive; you fold the strips in half to create a weatherproof seal. I cut the non-adhesive backed side off and use the remaining side with the adhesive on either the drawer bottom or dresser slide. You will need to clean the wood surface of any dust and wax before applying the strip.

Either maintaining a wax or pvc slide will also eliminate the erosion of both wood drawer bottom and slide that happens to old drawers over time. Eventually the wear will cause the drawer to tilt backwards when closed and can even wear away clear to the drawer bottom panel.

• bean_counter_z4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you ginam and wflather for responding so quickly. I will take the drawers out tonite and learn the "anatomy of a drawer". I may have further questions about where to wax and where to apply the weather strips.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I suspect they you are missing that piece in the center of the "slot" where the drawer goes, called a guide...keeps a drawer from zigging and zagging.
    Soap will help but won't solve the problem...
    And WD-40 is good too....but you never will be able to paint or varnish where it has been....so use with care.
    Linda C

• markmizzou
    17 years ago

Most "common" dressers and chest of drawers made (in the midwest) do not have a center "guide" as others have refered to. I have restored many of these and I think I have come across maybe one or two,and these were markedly different in their construction. The wax and or parafin trick works the best, short of rebuilding the drawer sides where "wood has worn out wood" and hindered the smooth sliding of the drawers.

• bwhipple8439_gmail_com
    13 years ago

The dresser I have needs to have the bottoms replaced.I don't want to use plywood,but need thin wood to fix the problem.Where can I buy small sheets of thinly planed wood?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living