Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

OT...About Strange Emails from Me..

plainjane425
14 years ago

Kathleen emailed me to ask if I had sent Her a 'strange'

forward.... Which I did not.

I then checked my 'Sent' mail files, and saw there were several people, some from here, that this 'Same Strange' email went out to. So, if you have received this from me... Ignore It!

I don't know where or how it went out thru me.

Thanks...

jane

Comments (16)

• party_music50
    14 years ago

If that's really what's happening, it's probably from a virus. That's one of the ways that a virus will work/attack: It is attaching to your "address book" and auto-sending emails to those people.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh wow... I've never had this happen before and don't know
    what to do.
    It seems to have gone out to almost everyone on my Address list.

Thanks party music...I hope it doesn't go any further.

jane

• party_music50
    14 years ago

If I were you I'd run a virus-checker! You probably got it (the virus) by opening an attachment from someone else. If you can't do that, at least (temporarily) clear out your address list... it will keep it from sending more until you can check and clean your system (if need be).

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks - party music...
    I'm about to do that now...
    What a Pain in the @$#!

jane

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Jane, another friend of mine had a similar thing occur on her google email account a couple months back. She just switched to a new email account and deleted the address book on her old one. You are right, it is a real pain--if these people are smart enough to know how to do this stuff, you'd think they'd have better things to do with their time and irritate the rest of us! Luvs

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvs...it did come from google. So perhapse it's the same thing. I just downloaded a new spyware on my Desktop PC and hope this helps..but now I'm thinking
    about what you just said and switching my account. 'Double Pain'!! You're right, I've said that so many times..these people are very smart..and you would think they'd put their knowledge to better things.

jane

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Same thing happened to me a while back. It's a computer hacker from China. He somehow got into my (previous) Hotmail account and started sending everyone on my email list, emails that sounded like they were from me! He made it sound like I was suggesting they try out his wonderful site in China to buy things. Hotmail and MSN were extremely worthless in helping me get rid of it. Frankly, it seemed to me that they could care less, despite numerous emails to them. I finally closed all my accounts with them and moved to Comcast, which has much better security. But, the bottom line is that they stole my email list and continue to send emails to my family & friends every so often. Talk about creepy!
    I feel for you and hope you can stop it. Let me know if you do, but definitely make sure your computerfiles haven't been compromised any more!
    Lynn

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Lynn...I just read the same thing happening to others with Hot Mail and MSN accounts and the fact they wouldn't help or seem to care.
    This email from me, was endorsing a site (I won't mention) and I'm wondering if all who received it now will be affected too.

I don't have Hot Mail or MSN but do have Google and I'm wondering if it came through there OR from someone who I know who has those other accounts?

I'm sorry you had to go through that and are still experiencing it. That's so discouraging.
    I hope it doesn't go further and become more of a problem than just this.
    Thanks
    Jane

• valleymagpie
    14 years ago

Jane (and everyone),

I'd suggest you get a heavyweight protection software and keep it updated. I never did that until I got a thing called "Internet Security" which COMPLETELY tied up my computer. It kept popping up messages saying you have a virus (yes you do!) and won't let you access your programs, and then it offers to "fix" your system for $50. I didn't pay but our research on the Internet shows that even if you do pay this extortion money it doesn't fix your system anyway.

Thanks heavens DH was patient enough to do research on the web and spend HOURS to fix my computer. At one point we thought we would have to format the disk to get rid of it.

BE CAREFUL, ladies, these brilliant people with low character are after you!

- Magpie

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Jane, so sorry to hear this. I just updated my Norton last month. I went and checked my hotmail acct. in case you still had my address in there and didn't have anything from you so that's good. I agree these people need to put their brillant minds to good use.

I received Johnson Brothers, Friendly Village Dinnerware for my Valentine gift. I'm going to have to keep my ideas to myself from now on or I won't have room to store all my dishes. Have I heard this story before???hehe

Punk

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Magpie...seems I'm hearing more and more of these stories and it's very disturbing, to say the least.
    Good for you your DH was able to take care of the problem for you. You're right...and I did just downloaded another
    protection software. It's just like putting in an
    Alarm System 'After' your home has been burglarized.

Punk...the funny thing is, the emails went out from my email list..in two different groups, but the strange thing is, it skipped over a couple of them...very strange.

I can't believe what you received for a Valentine's Day gift!!! Lucky you...Don't ever think they're NOT listening
    to you..because obviously...They Are!!
    Did they get you a complete set..or are they starting you off with the collection?
    WooWee!! Just think of all the time you have to add (or have Them add) extra pieces!! lol I'm so happy for you.

jane

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Jane, why would anyone think you were strange? OH wait, that wasn't the question was it? LOL
    Seriously tho, I'm so sorry for the trouble this has caused you.
    After reading all the posts, for once I'm glad I have AOL.
    And excellent security (McAfee) plus a firewall thing.

Punk, that was some Valentine's gift. Congratulations!

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen...you ended my day with a chuckle!!
    A 'Very Strange' one...lol
    I do have AOL...and a Google Account..so I'm not sure where this is coming from... when it comes to all this 'net' stuff...I'm totally clueless.

Thanks for your concerns tho..

jane

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the excellent info, ladies! I just deleted my G-mail account...thanks for the heads-up, Jane! Hope your software takes care of everything now! Those devils that do this hacking...ECKKKK! Even sounds bad! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

I got 2-5 piece place settings and I'm thrilled with my start. Thanks for asking. I've never been one to really collect so this is all new for me.

Punk

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Punk...that's a great start...
    I'll be looking forward to seeing all 'In Action' !!

jane

Sponsored
More Discussions