Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iwillnotfearthestorm

Rebuilding after Tornado- Plan feedback?

We lost our home to a tornado and are trying to learn EVERYTHING we need to know about building a house. We're using roughly the same floor plan as our original house but will move the laundry upstairs and add a mudroom where the laundry was. I love most of the layout, but some of the changes are affecting things I liked in the old house. I'm not thrilled with how the door from the garage enters the mudroom, b/c I think my kids would take 10 minutes to take off/put away all their junk, meanwhile blocking the door to the kitchen. I'd like the powder room to be accessible to guests without them having to pass through the mudroom. I'd like to put a window in the front wall to the left of the entry and then use that space to the left for something that would make use of the west-facing window instead of just a closet. Hubby doesn't want the powder room that far from the garage, which is our primary entrance. I'd like to keep at least a small coat closet somewhere close to the front door. Last concern is having the master closet on the far side of the bathroom. I'd love feedback on how people like that arrangement. Thanks in advance for all your help. We're excited about getting back home, but the learning curve is going to be steep! :)

This post was edited by IWillNotFearTheStorm on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 21:50

Comments (13)

• IWillNotFearTheStorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there a way to post 2 photos at once? Thanks!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

What is the back garage space to the right of the mudroom, and is there a reason you can't bump in that direction to get a wider mudroom/hall/entry? If you can bump to the right, there are many options to fix your issues.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Also, I think if you bump to the right, you can rearrange the upstairs so you laundry isn't over the foyer... You'll love having your laundry upstairs, but you won't like the vibrating foyer ceiling for that to happen.

I'd try to put it over, essentially where you have your MB WC and that WIC for the vaulted unlabeled room. Then, put the closet for that unlabeled vaulted room over the foyer. You'll appreciate the noise (and centralized plumbing) being moved over the mudroom/powder room.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Welcome. I am also in Il and have family near you. Good luck in rebuilding your home.

Nice plan that looks like it suits a family well. I hope the changes you want to make go smoothly.

• Skyangel23
    10 years ago

I might be blind but where is your master bathroom shower? Also, as far as the closet on the other side of the bathroom issue, I love it. You don't have to leave the bathroom area to get dressed. In fact, in our new house, we are planning a closet organization system so that I will not need a dresser in the bedroom. There is no going back and forth between rooms and no having to leave the warm bathroom while you are still wet and freezing to find clothes. :-)

• IWillNotFearTheStorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input and the kind words of encouragement! Our town is a wreck, but it's exciting to see some repairs and new construction going on. The back garage space is hubby's woodworking shop, so I don't know how much of that he'll give up. :) We might stretch the whole garage a little to the right, though, so maybe I could get some space there. As far as the laundry over the foyer, I didn't think about noise. It never occurred to me to switch closet sides for the vaulted room (that's our office/craft room, and we spend a ton of time in there). Hm... you've got me thinking in a whole new direction!

• robin0919
    10 years ago

I hope you're looking to rebuild with ICF.

• IWillNotFearTheStorm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The current plan is 2x6 framing. I'd never heard of ICF before- looks interesting! We're doing a shower/tub combo in the master bath. We had a whirlpool tub in there before and the only thing it got used for was a kiddie pool in the winter when it was too cold to get outside. :) We're pretty low-maintenance people, I just want to use our space as efficiently as possible to maximize functionality. In the last house, the kitchen island was turned 90 degrees and only fit 2 seats. We were planning to have them turn it back to the way it was, but maybe it should stay as written on the plan. How many seats could I fit at the island without cramping walk-through space on either side?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

For kitchen advice, once you are pretty sure you have your final house print layout, head over to the kitchens forum, read their "how to" (so your post is as useful to them for great comments as possible) and they will help you out with it. Right now, I don't think you really can have any stools there, on the long sides.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

I helped set the ICF forms for a house shortly after the concept was developed. With proper reinforcement with the steel rebar, I cannot imagine any other residential construction that will resist winds better. But a direct hit will still do lots of damage-- roof and windows especially.
    Be sure the construction is by the book. Lots of opportunities for the contractor to cut corners.
    You read the book and you inspect often. Be there as much as possible.

My area is not especially tornado prone, but one tore down huge trees just 50 feet from our old house in 2005. No damage to the house but my barn was destroyed.

• robin0919
    10 years ago

If you want to read more about ICF, go over to greenbuildingtalk.com

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

IwillNotFear - My heart goes out to you. I am located in west central Illinois and know many people in your town. My kids were in that tornado pulled off along the side of the road on the interstate.

Closing off the walk-in closet for a window eliminates a great deal of storage. Consider a reach in closet along the wall of the staircase. This will leave some room for a window to the west.

The area in the mudroom is very tight and I understand the issue with kids blocking traffic. Is it possible to enlarge the mudroom by pushing it into the garage? Maybe a couple of feet is all you need. I agree with DH that the powder room needs to be close to the garage when he is working. The other idea is to add a small bathroom in the garage. Put the powder room on the same wall as the garage and have them back to back.

I like the master closet off the bathroom. Mine are in the bathroom and hubby gets up much earlier than me. He closes the door to keep sound down.

Consider adding a bigger window over the sink. This is the time to do it!

Please post your kitchen layout on the Kitchen Forum. There is a great group of individuals that have much experience and a great eye for function and form. I am unable to recognize any of the appliance in the layout.

Best of luck and stay strong!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Motherof3sons and Iwillnotfear - Illinois weather! This is why we put in basements, isn't it? Now today, most of us have yet another snow day.

How frightening that your kids were out in a bus that day.