Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athomesewing

What color are your major kitchen appliances?

athomesewing
15 years ago

Looks like we'll be re-doing the kitchen soon, all of our appliances are dying at once! LOL.

So, I am wondering what color appliances are in your dream kitchen, or what color do you wish you had?

Thanks for your input! (:

Comments (25)

• plllog
    15 years ago

Panelled! Everything that can take a panel is getting a panel. The ovens are stainless.

• athomesewing
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is a great look! I'll definitely consider it!

• southernstitcher
    15 years ago

I'm sticking with black. I couldn't justify spending hundreds more on stainless. My current black appliances don't show dust if I just swipe them every couple of days, and my fridge has a finish that doesn't show fingerprints or smudges. My friend has the stainless and her's is always smudged up and full of fingerprints.
    But, the stainless is very pretty when shined up.

• mfrog
    15 years ago

I just replaced my black ones with white. My kitchen is south facing & the black appliances showed every little speck of anything. I'm not particularly meticulous about keeping everything spotless, but the black drove me nuts.

I love the white appliances, didn't want stainless for the same reasons.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

All appliances were fully integrated, with panels that match our cabinets, except for the range (a Lacanche in Frangiapane) and oven in SS.

• idrive65
    15 years ago

Integrated was out of the budget, so mine are stainless. I figured it's the current style and I can change them out in 10 years when they die or I get tired of them. I've lived through black, white, brown, harvest gold, and avocado green. I'm old. The Bosch ss on my fridge and dishwasher is easy to keep clean, it's a finer "grain" than on my range hood (which doesn't get touched often enough to get fingerprints, anyway) and a quick swipe with hot water on a paper towel about once a week is all I do.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

stainless (range) and paneled. did all stainless in the last house and love it, but this house decided something different. (it's my "fancy" house!) BUT i think stainless is plenty fancy too. just time for a change.

the best looking appliances are the ones that never have a repairman in front of them. good luck!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

My last kitchen had bisque -- and I would have loved having them again but they're really hard to get and everyone (sales) told me I might not be able to get replacements in a few years . . . so reluctantly I went with SS. We're not moved in yet, but I must admit that the SS looks great with my color scheme, and without little fingers around all the time, I hope I'll be able to keep them good looking.

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

mine is bisque also... I may have to panel the DW drawer tho. it doesn't come in bisque. hopefully I'll be able to get the others in bisque. I doubt i'll live long enough to worry about changing them. I'm pretty old too.

I've had the white, avocado, harvest gold - luckily I skirted around the brown and black. tho i have a stove now with a black glass on the front.

• sasafrass
    15 years ago

Wondering what the next "must have" color is going to be? SS is pretty but requires too much work ... anyone have any information on this?

• try_hard
    15 years ago

Mine are SS. I think it looks really sharp with my creamy white cabinets, dark wood floors, and my brown/cream/gray/amber/black splotchy granite.

try_hard

• jeff2718
    15 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen a couple of years ago and decided to go with black. One reason was to save a bit on the budget, but we also wanted to be able to use magnets on our fridge, which a stainless wouldn't let us do. We're currently planning a custom build and we're just now having to pick out appliances. Not sure how it's going to fall out this time!

• margareta_mi
    15 years ago

I am interested in using white appliances but it is hard to find white wall ovens with many features. The Electrolux and the KitchenAid have blue interiors and I have read a few complaints on flaking in blue ovens.

• athomesewing
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The reason I asked is that we have black now, and have had it for the past 14 years. I love it. I guess I like the contrast. Now we are going to be changing our layout and the appliances are slowly dieing...so I'm tempted to get SS because of it's popularity. However I don't like the thought of the fingerprints, or the look of the faux SS. I will definitely have a frameless black GE induction cooktop. Just having a hard time wondering if black will be totally out of date in a couple years, or if like SS, it's has longer staying power.

Thanks for all of your responses.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

honestly, i never understood how stainless is hard to keep clean. i'm not a crazy neat freak but i just wiped mine down and they always look great. maybe the material varies between manufacturer?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

If you've had black appliances for the last 14 years and you still love it then I'd go with what you love. Apparently, it's a long term relationship...:-). Anyway, to me, black is classic and will always be in style... especially for you since it's what you love. Even if style did change, so what. It's your kitchen and you should have what makes you happy not what is considered trendy.

• idrive65
    15 years ago

"honestly, i never understood how stainless is hard to keep clean. i'm not a crazy neat freak but i just wiped mine down and they always look great. maybe the material varies between manufacturer?"

It does vary, I think. I walked down the refrigerator sales floor and rubbed my hands on all of them. (I'm sure the sales people LOVED that!) My refrigerator is much easier to keep clean than my step-mom's, her stainless is "rougher" and the grain runs horizontally.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

Stainless steel range, wall oven (cobalt blue interior), steam oven, Advantium, hood, wall countertop, sinks, & backsplash behind range & cleanup sink. We have not had any problems with cleaning or fingerprints. The countertop gets scratches but we expected that.

We panelled everything else.

I think black or white is also classic. Colored appliances can really add pop but risk being dated, except for the look of one major appliance like a range, cooktop, or big sink in a stunning color.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

We've had white for 15 years, replaced a DW about 5 years ago and stuck with white. Recently bought a white fridge to replace our almost 20 year old fridge. Then I started appliance shopping for new oven, MW, cooktop, etc - and hit road blocks. I like white but what I don't like is the limited selection of white appliances. I didn't want the upkeep of SS nor did I want to pay the extra mark-up but now I'm wishing I'd gone that route so that my appliance color isn't such a constricting factor in my appliance selection.

I know people paint older appliances. Would it be insane to paint an almost new fridge to look SS? Or should I just get over the fact that I might end up with mis-matched appliances? If it matters, the fridge and wall oven won't be on the same wall. If it was just white and SS, it wouldn't bother me as much but so many of the SS wall ovens have lots of black on them and I think that will stick out like a sore thumb with my white appliances.

I'm also planning to get a warming drawer. Since I want to panel it, the only choice is Dacor.

I visit our salesman at the local appliance store regularly but so far, no decisions have been made and I'm so frustrated by the whole process!

• ya_think
    14 years ago

Another one who thinks stainless varies. My sister, who through two residences has had several stainless products including SZ, Miele, DCS, etc. recently mentioned that she cannot stand her Bosch DW because it's so hard to keep clean.

• katienic
    14 years ago

I'm a little late to this thread, but mine have only been in for a couple of weeks so I only had the I-think-it-will-be-great scenario in my head till then.
    I'll chime in for Black. I have all black appliances and very dark stained cabinets. I made this a deliberate choice because I did not want my appliances to POP. They blend into the built-in look I was going for, don't look like monstrosities in my smallish kitchen and I couldn't be happier with the result. I balanced the dark by going with light floors & light granite and used my medium value on the wall paint. Yup! I'm a happy camper!

• newly_suburban
    14 years ago

I am going with paneled everything other than oven, hood and microwave which are stainless. I find paneled is easier to keep clean of fingerprints and also it was much cheaper to panel than to get stainless on brands like miele, subzero, dacor. Basically since I am using Diamond cabinets, each panel was cheaper than the stainless exterior on each appliance.

• phoggie
    14 years ago

Mine are white....and so will the next ones. I am past caring about "trends" and more about cleaning them. I do not care for SS...worked in too many restaurants when I was younger and it seems so cold and we were constantly wiping finger prints....same with black....DD has them and she said I would hate them...everything shows......so this gal is sticking to white, although I wish they would bring back something about the bisque color....it is not as stark as white.

• speedymonk
    14 years ago

Stainless all.

• holligator
    14 years ago

I also have no problem keeping any of my stainless appliances clean and fingerprint-free (KA fridge, F&P DW, and AGA range). On all but the range, all I ever use is a microfiber cloth with hot water, followed by a dry cloth. Someone told me that it's because I have never used any cleaning products on them that makes them easier to keep clean. I don't know if that's true, but it has kept me from using anything since then. I do use 409 or Lysol Kitchen Cleaner on the top of the stove, but nothing but water anywhere else.