Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sls2001

Which refrigerator will work for the space?

Maggie Passel
10 years ago

I need a new refrigerator that will not result in having to redo cabinets or the wall beside it. The current dimensions of the refrigerator cut out are: width 38 âÂÂ", height is 71.25", and depth on right side is the counter top or 25 � " and on the left is a wall where the depth is 30 âÂÂ". So the wall is on the left of the refrigerator and extends several inches past the counter top which is on the right of the refrigerator. I hope that is clear?? I was hoping to have a counter depth that would fit in the space and be recessed to have a better almost built in look. Does anyone know if there is a unit that will allow the door to open in that space? Or if I can't have it fit back for a counter depth do you have suggestions of a model that will stick out the least? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

AGA Legacy AMLFDR20IVY is probably your best bet.

Comes in various colors including SS. Above pic and model number is for the ivory.

• Maggie Passel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. It looks like it would work and doesn't stick out much past the wall that will be on the left. I see the price on this is in the $3500 range and I would love to keep the cost down. Any other ideas?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Cheaper means the fridge will stick out farther.

What is your price range ?

• chisue
    10 years ago

Many appliance dealers' webpages allow you to shop by dimensions. Abt.com carries a wide range of appliances.

• Maggie Passel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes- was afraid of that, the sticking out farther. We are not staying in the house long and have no ideas if we will want to take with us- I might be willing to pay this price but would prefer a scratch and dent type price!! Any other ideas appreciated.

• furnitureshopper
    10 years ago

Perhaps the counter depth KitchenAid KFCS22EVMS. Currently at AJ Madison for $2489, before $50 rebate. I recently saw it locally for about the same price. A relative has this refrigerator in a similar set-up as yours, and used a spacer on the wall side to facilitate door opening. I recently bought it as well, but have it in a traditional space and am happy so far.

• Maggie Passel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I checked out the KitchenAid KFCS22EVMS and it looks great-hoever the height isn't going to work. Our cutout is only 71 ü" high and the refrigerator is taller than that. Thank you for the suggestions and still looking!

• furnitureshopper
    10 years ago

The Kitchen Aid is only 72" at the front hinge. The cabinet depth proper is just under 71". Instructions say to allow 1/2" of space at the top and on each side. Also, when installing next to a fixed wall, to leave 2 1/2" minimum on the hinge side.

Good luck.

• Maggie Passel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much. That helped me a lot. I was focused on the height at the front hinge and that is not a problem. So on the wall side on the left I have exactly 2 ý inches space to leave. And the depth of 27 âÂÂ" I think means it doesn't have to stick out past the wall which is 30 âÂÂ"-and that I can open the door and open any bins, etc. I will try to find one on the floor to test. Thanks so much.

• Maggie Passel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Talked the the KitchenAid people and the width is a problem according to them. My width is 38 âÂÂ" and we have 2 ý" space on the left side where the wall is that leaves 0" on the right side cabinet panel. They say that doesn't work because I need min of ý" for ventilation. Advise?

• furnitureshopper
    10 years ago

Ask at a local appliance store or try posting a separate question on real world minimum clearance requirements? Perhaps an experienced installer on the list could better answer your question. When I realized the manufacturer specs called for a 36 5/8" width opening, and I only had 36", the appliance store said not to worry and indeed it fit just fine. That said, I can't make a recommendation for your particular circumstance.

• Maggie Passel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I am beginning to think that if the door is going to have to stick out anyway I might as well get a regular size refrigerator and not pay the premium for the counter depth. I do love the look of the AGA Legacy first suggested.