Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

A little OT..A trip to the Dollar Store

kathleen_li
16 years ago

I don't have any Dollar Stores near me, so on when DH and I went "clubbing" yesterday, I asked he pull in to one we were passing, on the pretense of finding fish nets for the gkids. Of course, anything for them, LOL. He had never been to one before, so was very cynical..well we spent 55 dollars, on cwap! Some recorders for the gkids to use at THEIR house, coloring books, drain strainers, etc. and I snuck in 2 square white plates, and 2 provencial looking ones, like Pfaltz has, green with mustardy gold etc.

Found my Poppies Pierrogi which I have been looking for..so all in all I think I will get him to stop when we are near one.

Here's the dish... I"ll put the other in a new post

{{gwi:1429925}}

Comments (15)

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

Kathleen, Those "dollars" sure add up even in a dollar store. ;~) I love your plates. Very pretty colors.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oh, I really like the color and the design on your plates. Sandi is right, those dollars still add up quickly--but I am so glad you found some pretty dishes. Doesn't it make setting the table more fun when you have some variety? Luvs

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Nice job on getting around the DH and possibly hooking him on dollar stores. LOL, way to go!

hugs, Karen

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Well, no one would look at those and think, "Dollar Store."

You'll certainly get some satisfaction about that when folks come to your house and ooh-and-ahh over your unique dishes.

--Jenn

• jaybird
    16 years ago

ah-ha Kathleen...Good thinking!!!!!!
    Don't you need a bowl and pitcher that would match those plates?????? I just happen to have one I could send to you!!!!

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jay, you are so kind.. But I am going to pass. I really just bought them for my cooking presentations..I do thank you though, you are very generous!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I love the Dollar Store and we have one about 2 minutes from my house and I am a regular customer. Of course with 3 Great Nieces, and ya know I have to send them a box of stuff every month or so!!

Deals is another very good place to shop for bargains!! But the closest Deals is about 30 minutes from my home and not near my weekly errand route.

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Michelle. Good to see you here. Small group, and everyone is a pleasure.
    I never heard of DEALS...I wonder what state they are in??

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Michelle, glad to have you joining us. I've never heard of Deals either, tell us more about them. All I have here is Dollar Tree and 99 cent stores, and I've seen a Dollar Plus but haven't checked it out yet.

Hope you will keep joining in here, it gets a little slow between holidays, but we all enjoy chatting with each other.

Luvs

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I can't seem to find a web site for Deal$-Nothing over a Dollar Stores. But I did find an article saying that the Dollar Store bought out Deal$ in March. Deal$ stores will still operate under the name Deal$.

Deal$ is basically like the Dollar Store but they carry higher end merchandise and far more food items too. But this was before the Dollar Store bought them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deal$-Nothing over a Dollar

• judithva
    16 years ago

Kathleen pretty plates, I know what you mean, I go into one of those stores and I often end up spending lots of "dollars" LOL

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle, thanks for looking for us, we are always looking for deals here!
    Judith, dh was amazed how much we spent on c-ap!
    My friend went to Christmas tree shops over the weekend, and called me from the store, She had gone upstate, neat Tam, (have you heard from her??) to visit an aunt, and I made her promise to go. I gave her a short list..She is coming back Wed. I hope I find my camera card which I lost,,or I will have to buy a new one!!!I want to take pics of the goodies!

• judithva
    16 years ago

kathleen, yes we want pictures. I justify the dollar store purchases like this....sometimes I go in there and get nothing...sometimes I go in there and spend...lots........
    I feel it evens things out. LOL (sounded good to me..)

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great philosophy! I have now added 4 white square plates to my collection from the dollar store. The best news for me is they are going to open a Christmas Tree shop 45 min from here...I hope before Cmas!

• judithva
    16 years ago

kathleen, you lucky duck, we don't have a Christmas Tree shop here. Just a Christmas Mouse, which is expensive and "not all that".
    White plates are great, they go with everything! My dollar store did not get anything like that in. Bummer..

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions